PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum cleaner repairs

Mother Bear
18-Nov-07, 16:45
Does anyone get their vacuum cleaner repaired these days??? Or is it another example of 'being made to last only 2-3 years'?? My Panasonic hoover has just died on me..[what a shame, can't finish the housework!!]
I wasn't using it for anything over strenuous or mis-treating it, but it just stopped! Does anyone repair hoovers in the area?? It is only a couple of years old, and the price now is the same I paid for it, £70...but I would still expect it to last longer than that.

marlyn
18-Nov-07, 17:22
Hi there, Alacam in Thurso would probably look at it, they certainly repair Dysons so I would imagine they would reapair any type of hoover.

Tony
19-Nov-07, 20:41
I had the same problem with a Panasonic cleaner and it started working again when it was left to cool. The reason was the filters were clogged with dust and the motor started heating and activated a resettable thermal protection device. The cure was to remove and clean/replace the filters. Just an idea if similar.

Mother Bear
19-Nov-07, 21:00
Aww, thanks Tony! I just tried it again and it worked...yippeee!!!! Will investigate /clean the filter when I have calmed down!!!
Thanks for that.

Tony
19-Nov-07, 21:39
Just had another thought and just check the cable as this could also cause failure if loose connection/damaged.

Buttercup
19-Nov-07, 22:36
Does anyone get their vacuum cleaner repaired these days??? Or is it another example of 'being made to last only 2-3 years'?? My Panasonic hoover has just died on me..[what a shame, can't finish the housework!!]
I wasn't using it for anything over strenuous or mis-treating it, but it just stopped! Does anyone repair hoovers in the area?? It is only a couple of years old, and the price now is the same I paid for it, £70...but I would still expect it to last longer than that.
You'll probably find that the cost of getting it repaired would be not too far off the cost of a new one. so I know what I'd go for! At least with a new one you'll get some sort of warranty. :lol:

Torvaig
20-Nov-07, 01:17
This is what makes me sad; there should be courses on how to look after household appliances for those who need it.

I've heard of people complaining that their vacuum is useless when all it needed was the bag changed! Cleaning the filters is another basic requirement for the operator to carry out regularly and also checking the cable as it gets a lot of abuse being pulled at to get it to go further than it is meant to.

With washing machines it's the filters again that are neglected; unclog them please and also clean out the powder and softener drawer by removing them and flushing them with clean water. It's amazing how much more effective at cleaning your laundry your machine will be. And please, please close and open the door with care....

Too many people buy these things without reading the brochures that come with them; they just plug and go. A lot of money could be saved by having respect for the things you spend it on.

P.S. I'm thinking of setting up a support group for abused household appliances! :lol:

poppett
20-Nov-07, 17:45
I have a panasonic upright. Whenever I buy the five pack of bags I get the two filters required for the machine, and they are replaced with bag one of five every time. I have one which is 20 years old now which hubby uses in the shed. I invested in the latest top of the range one this year, and am delighted with it. It still gets the same care as the elder statesman does, and hope it will last a lifetime too.

Torvaig
20-Nov-07, 18:29
I have a panasonic upright. Whenever I buy the five pack of bags I get the two filters required for the machine, and they are replaced with bag one of five every time. I have one which is 20 years old now which hubby uses in the shed. I invested in the latest top of the range one this year, and am delighted with it. It still gets the same care as the elder statesman does, and hope it will last a lifetime too.

That's what I mean; simple isn't it? ;)

Mother Bear
20-Nov-07, 22:29
Point taken Torvaig!

I usually do 'look after' my appliances, [I certainly keep the washing powder/softener draw clean in the washing machine]........must have had a 'senior moment' the other day when the hoover stopped..... I ran to the help of 'the org' first, before investigating the machine any further!!! lol