PDA

View Full Version : I know u r sick of hearing about it but..........

moose and Lindsay
03-Sep-05, 19:31
Petrol in thurso today £1.05

Diesel £1.02

At pennyland filling station

Go to richards in Thurso still at 96p til Monday anyway

Countryman
03-Sep-05, 19:49
[mad] Yes the petrol bandits are at it again - come on do they really need to take that much from the local motorist daylight robbery.

What are the MP and the MSP's doing about it ????????

honestjohn
03-Sep-05, 21:15
Do we have to have these threads about petrol every other day. We all know the current price of fuel and there is nowt we can do about it. For heaven's sake CHANGE THE SUBJECT FOR ONCE. [mad] [mad] [mad]

Gizmo
03-Sep-05, 22:00
It's getting out of control now, i was shocked when i pulled up at Dunnets in wick this morning, the bloke serving said it was because they were charged more for their supply and they get their fuel shipped from Elgin so it costs more.......one question?...why the hell are they getting it from Elgin? surely there must be a supplier closer to home? thats a 9p rise in unleaded overnight at Dunnets and 4p for diesel, i dont think i ever remember Diesel being cheaper than unleaded before

It's 97.9p for diesel at Tesco in Inverness just now, so thats a 5p rise in the last month for them also, fuel cost really is beyond a joke now, the goverment have to sort this out or the uk transport network is gonna grind to a halt soon.

Joey
03-Sep-05, 23:36
Well Gizmo, you are either very young or very forgetful. Deisel was always cheaper the petrol until ( i suspect) the government cottoned onto people trying to save some money. However it has now changed about for some reason (alledgedly something to do with supply and demand") believe what you want!

teddybear1873
04-Sep-05, 01:27
Nothing wrong in a bit of the old red diesel.......does know harm :evil

Gizmo
04-Sep-05, 12:41
Well Gizmo, you are either very young or very forgetful. Deisel was always cheaper the petrol until ( i suspect) the government cottoned onto people trying to save some money. However it has now changed about for some reason (alledgedly something to do with supply and demand") believe what you want!

Haha...must be old age catching up with me.
I have been driving a diesel truck for 8 years but have been driving for 15, i was sure that Diesel was always dearer, when did the change happen?, was it quite a few years ago now?

Violetsky
04-Sep-05, 14:24
for months I have perused the message boards with interest - enjoying the discussions and debates on various topics and have never felt inclined to participate until now - after reading the posting from honestjohn [mad] [mad] [mad] - I can only assume he must be selling petrol at these extortionate prices if it gets him so mad that people feel the need to comment again - I was totally shocked to have to pay 107.9 for a litre of unleaded yesterday and I have heard a rumour that there is another increase on its way on Tuesday of 14p - there are people that have no option but to use their cars to get to work and price hikes of this nature make it a very expensive business - as to accepting this as "there is nowt we can do about it" if we all took that attitude what kind of country would we be left with?

Gizmo
04-Sep-05, 18:59
Honestjohn cant be a petrol retailer....he has 'Honest' in his name :D

fred
04-Sep-05, 20:07

Haha...must be old age catching up with me.
I have been driving a diesel truck for 8 years but have been driving for 15, i was sure that Diesel was always dearer, when did the change happen?, was it quite a few years ago now?

My memory might be going a bit too and I can't find anything on the net but I seem to remember that diesel was always the odd penny or so a gallon dearer than Regular though you got a lot more miles to the gallon from a diesel than a petrol in those days so mile for mile a diesel was a lot cheaper to run.

Conversion Chart

penny = 0.41p
gallon = 4.54 litre
Regular = 2 star = unleaded

johndy
04-Sep-05, 20:40
Elmtree filling station, Wick prices to-night
1.00 - Diesel
1.03 - Unleaded
:~(

honestjohn
04-Sep-05, 20:43
for months I have perused the message boards with interest - enjoying the discussions and debates on various topics and have never felt inclined to participate until now - after reading the posting from honestjohn [mad] [mad] [mad] - I can only assume he must be selling petrol at these extortionate prices if it gets him so mad that people feel the need to comment again - I was totally shocked to have to pay 107.9 for a litre of unleaded yesterday and I have heard a rumour that there is another increase on its way on Tuesday of 14p - there are people that have no option but to use their cars to get to work and price hikes of this nature make it a very expensive business - as to accepting this as "there is nowt we can do about it" if we all took that attitude what kind of country would we be left with?

What I was trying to say is there are numerous posts about the cost of fuel, we all know the rising cost of fuel is depressing so why do we need yet another post about high fuel prices?
So if you think my "There's nowt we can do about it" attitude is wrong, YOU tell me what we can do about it.

luskentyre
04-Sep-05, 22:30
To be fair, if the original post was simply moaning about the price of petrol then I agree with you. However, there's a potential benefit of drawing peoples attention to the cheaper places to purchase fuel.

For instance, I was in Wick this morning and the difference between the cheapest and most expensive garages was nearly 12p. I'm sure it's only temporary but if I can save £5 on a tank of petrol then it would be appreciated!

wicker
05-Sep-05, 10:34
well peoples its only going to be getting worse as its going up to £1.15 soon again

Donnie
05-Sep-05, 11:02
All these new threads on petrol prices is getting pretty tiresome. Wouldn't it make more sense to find one of the older threads and add the updated price to it rather than creating a new one. That way you would be able to say all the price changes in one place rather than having to hunt them down.

champagnebaby
05-Sep-05, 16:01
It was just on the news that petrol prices have shot up since the hurricane all over the country so it's not just the local retailers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4215346.stm

Countryman
05-Sep-05, 20:46
:D Come on Honest John you are fed up with post on Petrol prices - OK no one asked you to reply or make any comments - so you did you are helping to keep the discussion going "Me thinks you protest too much"

William
05-Sep-05, 23:30
I know i normally complain about seeing these petrol posts but(if you can't beat them join them) the little station just out side of wick on the castletown side was 1.07 per litre for unleaded.

Tristan
06-Sep-05, 21:31
What annoys me is that if the prices are going down they say 'it will take 6 months to work its way through our reserves'
but give them a reason to raise them and they are right there.

There is no way they can justify raising petrol prices by 20p in a week. I bet the 'gas' prices in the states wont go up by 33 cents and I doubt very much the prices the Europe will rise by a third of Euro.

Looks like another example of rip of Britain.

Fran
08-Sep-05, 02:00
Petrol at Tesco, inverness today was 95p....yet at kildary it was 85p!!! [mad]

moose and Lindsay
10-Sep-05, 01:36
Prices going down............£1.02 for petrol and diesel tonight at pennyland

Rheghead
10-Sep-05, 02:42
£1.08 at Reay

Naefearjustbeer
10-Sep-05, 08:18
Petrol at Tesco, inverness today was 95p....yet at kildary it was 85p!!! [mad]

tescos 97.9
morrisons 97.5
kildary 98.9

this was for diesel on friday.

brandy
10-Sep-05, 10:06
actually the gas prices in the states has gone up a lot more than that! *laughs* its went up to over 3 dollars from 2.25 in a day... and in places was set to hit the 6 dollar mark.. as 8 rigs were down.

2little2late
10-Sep-05, 18:51
Asda 91.9

moose and Lindsay
17-Sep-05, 21:01
Cheapest in Thurso tonight......Richards @ 99.9p

All the rest still @ £1.02

gwen
17-Sep-05, 23:40
tescos 97.9
morrisons 97.5

Okay, but who'd go over 100 miles just for a few pence cheaper? Not to mention for fuel that doesn't do the best for your car.

Ickle story for ye...
There was once a nice shiny yellow Seat Ibiza in Inverness that ran on supermarket fuel. It's driver didn't know why it wasn't performing as well as it should. One night he pulled up at the 24-hour petrol station in the city's Longman as it was getting its delivery. He struck up a conversation with the delivery guy and he said that it was due to the supermarkets trying to save money and make more profits that they don't have certain aditives in their fuel... thus go to a shell station, bp station or esso and your car will run better on its fuel, and I think a little further - so maybe you're better off not travelling south to get yer supermarket fuel.

moose and Lindsay
18-Sep-05, 00:16
We were down in England last week and u won't believe the amount of cars down there that run on chip fat!!

Check this out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VEGETABLE-OIL-DIESEL-RUN-YOUR-CAR-SAVE_W0QQitemZ8000782734QQcategoryZ9895QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Naefearjustbeer
18-Sep-05, 06:56
tescos 97.9
morrisons 97.5

Okay, but who'd go over 100 miles just for a few pence cheaper? Not to mention for fuel that doesn't do the best for your car.

I dont go over 100 miles just to fill up, I was in inverness anyway and just noted down the prices that I saw. However it makes sense to fill up at the cheapest place when you are away. By doing a big shop in tescos it is easy to save the money you spend on fuel going up and down the road.

gwen
18-Sep-05, 15:41
Naefearjustbeer - can I just point one thing out? One mile away from the Tesco Retail Park on the way to Reigmore there's an Esso garage that's just as cheap, and their fuel is better for your car :)

Safe & happy driving.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Sep-05, 17:33
This subject is discussed endlessly in motoring forums and for every person who claims Supermarket petrol gives less mpg there is another person who claims it gives better. All totally subjective opinions[I].

One fact is beyond dispute – Supermarkets and the main oil companies get their fuel from the same refineries.

Now if the ‘magic’ ingredients that, say, Esso add gave better MPG than Supermarket petrol do you not feel they would get it verified by an independent body(AA/RAC motoring magazines etc) and you would never stop hearing about it in the media.

An objective test would very easy – get some identical cars put in different makes of fuel and drive them in convoy swopping drivers every so often.

Also if the ‘magic’ ingredient had any proven advantages do you not feel that the rival suppliers would have the fuel analysed and that ingredient added to their fuel?

The facts are that there is absolutely no proof that brand X gives better MPG than brand Y and the oil companies are very careful not to claim so – lest they contravene advertising regulations.

They are even very careful about their claims for the higher octane fuels – stressing the performance advantages.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Sep-05, 17:38
by the way I copied the above post from another forum as it says exactly what I feel about the matter with better english than I can manage :roll:

Brizer2k2
18-Sep-05, 18:40
get the bus or the train !!! ;-)