PDA

View Full Version : my shocking story on Discovery channel

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 18:04
Has anyone else been watching this series? I missed a bit of last nights but what I saw was absolutely dumbfounding. Half man, Half tree. I think what I found worst about it was that the man is actually pretty much employed along with others with terrible skin problems as a travelling freak show. Absolutely shocked by it. But very good series so far.
http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/myshockingstory/halfman/index.shtml

justine
16-Nov-07, 18:59
hi yes. I caught it last night and it was horrific. Not the warts that he had but the life style he had, being shown around like a freak in a show just to make money to feed his family...

You could see the humilation on his face when he was with the others and a different person when he was a home with his family. I felt so sorry for dede and the others that had to preform.But then dede was offered a cure to help with it, but refused, probably out of being scared of change.....Unfortunately freak shows have been round for centuaries and will aslong as they are people to star in them..Have you caught the rest of the series, some are horrendous. I feel lucky as a parent to have such healthy children...

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 19:06
I watched the tallest woman the other night, and the heaviest man last night and the tiniest children I think it was. I always forget these things are on tv. It is amazing to watch how some people live yet they still have such a huge spirit and just see it as the way god made them, there is very little bitterness from them. We could all learn a lesson from them.

justine
16-Nov-07, 19:13
You right there unicorn.A laot of people could learn from those afflicted with some of the health issues in the series..what life they could have if not for he probloems they have.

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 19:16
Like the tallest woman, the hospital originally sent her home with a bag of vitamins and she and her family were happy to be given this yet due to funding the hospital wouldn't operate to remove her tumour. Then the hospital in Shanghai offered her the correct treatment free of charge from the very best surgeons. Then the man last night who was delighted to get the warts removed from just one hand so he could drive a tractor again and support his family. They really are amazing people.

justine
16-Nov-07, 19:25
i thinthat get scared about change, but the talest woman, the pain she must be in when she walks must be horrendous.The ting is like with Andre the Giant, he started of in freak shows because of his size, and then was exploited in the wrestling ring.He died a plonely man...Change for some of them may work but for others it can be frightening, so i suppose when they offer help and it is turned down, they must realise that these people have lived with this for so long they have no other way of looking at things...

The next one is the worlds fattest kids, now who do we blame for that one. The parents or the kids..

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 19:30
I t will be interesting to watch that one for sure, but before watching I will stick my neck out and absolutely definately the parents :roll:

justine
16-Nov-07, 19:32
well my head with you on the block then coz i say blame the parents....
Good way to get everyone else in on the thread.....

Julia
17-Nov-07, 15:55
The way I see it was if Dede (half man half tree episode) really wanted help he would of taken it, let's face it the circus probably paid far better than fishing for a living, quite easy money really just standing there being gawped at, nobody forced him to do any of those stupid tricks! What I did notice however was that the audience just stared, there was little emotion, they looked as sick as I felt!

He had a choice to work in the circus, nobody forced him, his home and family life looked quite good and he obviously had a lot of support from his family, his sister looked after his kids so I think they could get by without him working.

Medical assistance was offered free on a plate and he was silly to turn it down, he must prefer being a circus freak and the attention it brought him, if he was really that miserable he would of sought change!

I'm just glad we don't have 'smellyvision'

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 16:10
Oh yuck, I had a look at the others and they were even worse. I won't be watching any of those. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Moi x

unicorn
18-Nov-07, 23:03
Repeat Just started on discovery if anyone is interested