PDA

View Full Version : fundraising and collections

brandy
03-Sep-05, 11:10
can any one help and is any one interested in helping!
was wondering how we can set up a collection here for the hurricane fund?
if sri lanka can donate after what they have been thru then surley so can we!
i am looking for advice on how to start raising for the charity who i need to get in touch with for collections first of all .. and we will take it from there!

honestjohn
03-Sep-05, 21:18
Don't mean to sound cruel, but isn't the U.S.of A supposed to be the worlds richest country?
If so, why do they need funding?

Tristan
03-Sep-05, 21:45
Don't mean any disrespect to the innocent victims of this tragedy, but;

1. they DID have days notice to get out of the area
2. The US government decided in 2001 that financing the Iraq war was more important than maintaining their own flood defences. This tragedy was foreseeable and indeed predicted. It sounds tough, but since the government chose this mess, maybe they should pay for clean it up.

Get the helicopters and Guard out of Iraq and back home where they are needed.

brandy
04-Sep-05, 03:32
i cant belive you think that tristan!
new orleans is one of the poorest places in america..
those people that are stuck there that are dying day by day
the majority of them could not get out!
they either had no way
no money or no where to go
its all fine and well to say
oh they were warned
but at the end of the day when you live in poverty
what do you do?
is it their fault then? that they did not leave?
if it were you and your family that was trapped i hope someone else did not have yours and johns attitude!

trinkie
04-Sep-05, 08:46
Here Here Brandy.

EDDIE
04-Sep-05, 08:50
Brandy they were told to evacuate so the people that are trapped there its there own fault and if the government new this was comming they should have been ready to deal with it not like the slow response that they have given.

trinkie
04-Sep-05, 10:45
Someone said "It's their own fault"

Shame on you !!

During the Clearances some of the Highland folk were unable to move out too....etc etc

Tristan
04-Sep-05, 12:06
Brandy, do you really believe that the US government was ignorant of the difficulties that they would have evacuating the residents? What did they do to assist the poorer ones and avert this tragedy? Nothing. They have a National Guard, who are set up to deal with situations exactly like this, and where were they? Off fighting a war in Iraq. They should have been available and mobilized to evacuate the residents who couldn't help themselves.

I'm not saying it's the fault of the victims themselves, but of the government who is setting the policies that affect them. If the government sets these policies they should be prepared to take responsibility and not expect aid from much poorer countries who had no say in it.

EDDIE
04-Sep-05, 13:08
The point im making silver darling is if ure told to evacute because of possible dangers ahead and u decide to ignore those warnings and stay were u are thats just asking for trouble?

Liz
04-Sep-05, 13:19
Irrespective of politics, architecture and warnings the sad fact is that people are suffering dreadfully and need help!!!!!!!!!

Bill Fernie
04-Sep-05, 13:38
You need a license to collect money in the street and mainly only registered charities will get one. You also need license to run a raffle and again individuals wil not usually get one.

You could aprocah one of the local charities such as WRVS to see if they would help with a collection etc. Possible local churches will be runing collections or coffee mornings for this purpose as they often do.

Meantime the fastest possible way of donating looks to be via the American Red Cross at http://www.redcross.org/

Or the Salvation Army USA at
http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/USNSAHome.htm

Another highly respected funder the United Way is collecting funds for the disaster. They are one of the largest giving organisation in the USA with branches in every state. Check them out here to make a donation -
http://national.unitedway.org/

There will be many more charities doing something for the relief effort. A search on Google will find them.

From this end cash is the best way of getting aid to the people in need.

We all need help at some point and even the richest country in the world may need a hand in emergencies. This is a multi-billion dollar disaster and we should all forget about who has what and get on and make a donation.

Brandy - I suggest you contact one or two local groups to see if they are doing anythng and join in with them. If anyone knows of anything happening locally then post something here to let folk know about a local collection of fund raier.

brandy
04-Sep-05, 13:50
thanks bill! will call in the morning and find out!

trinkie
04-Sep-05, 14:11
But Eddie my dear, perhaps some people are ill or old or babies.
Perhaps they have no money or car - or no one to go to .
Perhaps they are just frightened by the prospects.

But why bother to judge? Now they need help.

May you and I never find ourselves in this situation.
Kindest regards,
Silver Darlings

honestjohn
04-Sep-05, 20:49
I'm surprised George Dubya didn't blame Al Qaeda for the hurricane. Would have been a good excuse for another war. [lol]

scorrie
04-Sep-05, 21:30
The point im making silver darling is if ure told to evacute because of possible dangers ahead and u decide to ignore those warnings and stay were u are thats just asking for trouble?

Evacute to where King Eddie? Do they all climb into their big Cadillacs and drive 100s of miles to safety and book into the nearest five star hotel who is putting them up for the night free of charge? For many people the hovel they are living in is the only thing in the world they have and what realistic option do you have for leaving it? Would you leave your own home at short notice with no idea of where you can go, what you could live on or what would happen to what you had left behind?

Try thinking it through a bit instead of condemning poorly educated and impoverished people.

honestjohn
04-Sep-05, 21:42

Evacute to where King Eddie? Do they all climb into their big Cadillacs and drive 100s of miles to safety and book into the nearest five star hotel who is putting them up for the night free of charge? For many people the hovel they are living in is the only thing in the world they have and what realistic option do you have for leaving it? Would you leave your own home at short notice with no idea of where you can go, what you could live on or what would happen to what you had left behind?

Try thinking it through a bit instead of condemning poorly educated and impoverished people.

I think if I had a choice between survival andstaying at home I know what I would choose. Poor or not.

scorrie
05-Sep-05, 13:49

I think if I had a choice between survival andstaying at home I know what I would choose. Poor or not.

You fail to address the question of where people are supposed to go with no transport or money available to them. Life always seems easier and more logical from the comfort of your computer keyboard than it does when you are a poorly educated person living in poverty and clutching at straws. Get your hand in your pocket instead of criticizing people in need. No doubt if this was not the USA then there would be more sympathy, as it is we get:- "Nah, Nah, Nah,Nah, Nah, who cacked their troosers?" in response

golach
05-Sep-05, 14:46
Scorrie, I'm with you on this one,

honestjohn
05-Sep-05, 15:59
This is a problem created by America made worse by the hurricane. If they new they were vulnerable to flooding of such scale why not do more about it. To blame the Irag war is just a mere excuse. As for the so-called "poor people" who cannot afford to evacuate, if poorer people in third world countries can travel for days then why should these people be different.
Let's face it, if you are told to evacuate because a hurricane is imminent you evacuate no matter where you end up.

scorrie
05-Sep-05, 20:13
Let's face it, if you are told to evacuate because a hurricane is imminent you evacuate no matter where you end up.

Your statement is clearly untrue since people stayed where they were.

2little2late
05-Sep-05, 22:04
Try this link from Radio 2 W.O.T.D.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204066.stm

teddybear1873
05-Sep-05, 22:52
Here we go again..Brandy asked nicely for a bit of information and it took Bill Fernie to be the first to give it and all of you as usual were blabbing on about other thingsthat had nothing to do with what Brandy asked..... GROW UP

EDDIE
05-Sep-05, 23:06
Scorrie if you lived in thurso and was told that a hurricane is going to go right through thurso and you was told to evacuate You would have to be completly stupid to stay.Its not rock science in what to do is it
All these climate changes that are affecting the weather is all down to the ozone layer and whos the worst offender for damaging the ozone layer usa and what are they doing about it not a lot?

brandy
05-Sep-05, 23:08
eddie think about something here.. size wise.. all ofscotland can fit into one state.. this hurricane wipe out three states.. if it had been the uk there would have been no where you could have gone.. think about it..

EDDIE
05-Sep-05, 23:16
yeh but brandy if ure told to evacute that means u have to leave regardless of the situation and try to save ureself

golach
05-Sep-05, 23:24
Sorry Eddie, are you thick or what?.....how can ye walk a hundred miles if you are in a wheel chair or dont have any legs. No transport was provided by the US Government for anyone who did not have their own transport,or were too old or had no money to pay their fare out of Louisana

scorrie
06-Sep-05, 11:01
Scorrie if you lived in thurso and was told that a hurricane is going to go right through thurso and you was told to evacuate You would have to be completly stupid to stay.Its not rock science in what to do is it
All these climate changes that are affecting the weather is all down to the ozone layer and whos the worst offender for damaging the ozone layer usa and what are they doing about it not a lot?

Err, these people are not me and they don't live in Thurso either. If they were and the Hurricane was going to affect the whole of the UK, which is tiny compared to the USA, then where the hell are they going to go then?

Newscast just in, hurricane alert for Wick, centralized on the Bridge Street area. Residents are asked to evecuate and make their way to High Street, which is outside the storm area. Anyone choosing to stay in their homes will be pilloried by wise asses after the event for their decision. ps It's your own fault anyway for voting for Councillor Fernie!!