PDA

View Full Version : Scotland V Italy - Where were you?

Jeemag_USA
16-Nov-07, 14:59
So when the question is asked in years to come, where were you on that famous day when Scotland reached its peak of footballing fantasticness? Where were you?

Well I will be in McNivens Bar in downtown Indianapolis, the Scottish Owner has paid for us to get the game on ESPN Deportes, so we will be watching live with draught scottish beer and scottish food watching the game with Mexican Commentators shouting "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" when McFadden hits the back of the net.

Anybody going to the game, got any parties planned?

Highland Laddie
16-Nov-07, 15:06
So when the question is asked in years to come, where were you on that famous day when Scotland reached its peak of footballing fantasticness? Where were you?

Well I will be in McNivens Bar in downtown Indianapolis, the Scottish Owner has paid for us to get the game on ESPN Deportes, so we will be watching live with draught scottish beer and scottish food watching the game with Mexican Commentators shouting "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" when McFadden hits the back of the net.

Anywhere except sitting watching 22 primadonas ponsing around kicking a wee ball.

Hibeechick
16-Nov-07, 15:11
At work :'(

Although I am taking the TV over in the afternoon especially to watch it. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

'Mon the Scots!!

DeHaviLand
16-Nov-07, 15:58
Anywhere except sitting watching 22 primadonas ponsing around kicking a wee ball.

Someday I want to be a miserable git too :)

But tomorrow I'll be in my local from 2pm. Kilt and best Scotland shirt on, no alcohol and having a really good time. Its great to see all this pride in a nation, and all over kicking a wee ball.

theone
16-Nov-07, 17:28
Hampden Park, North stand, Section C!

starry
16-Nov-07, 17:41
First pub I find in Inverness that is showing it.
Followed by quick change of clothes, brush up of make up and off to a wedding dance.

I want them to win so much

footie chick
16-Nov-07, 18:08
Hampden Park, North stand, Section C!

Lucky you.

I'll have to make do with the local. :D

mccaugm
16-Nov-07, 19:05

Spot on...will be watching anything but Scotland humiliating themseleves. Hubby is going to the pub to watch it which makes my life easier.

Solus
16-Nov-07, 19:10
Be sitting in my buddies house in Aberdeen, necking the beers and tucking into some of her scooby snacks, last time we will be sharing a beer together for a while so it will be made all the more special for Scotland to win. On top of that my missus said she will drop me off and pick me up when i am ready, ideal !:Razz

hails4
16-Nov-07, 20:17
cannae believe the negative responses on this topic, this is a joyous day win, lose or draw our national team deserves to be applauded for all their efforts, and for those who think this is a waste of time or think its just 22 ponsies kicking a ball around there, they may want to take notice that the economical factor in this game is huge, generating around 8million for Glasgow, 7 million for Edinburgh and thats just for this one day! however if they qualify it could prove to be worth 100 million over the next year!! (as told by the Sun) so come tomorrow 5pm i will be watching the game in the house with my wife, heart pounding every breathe tacking wanting and hoping for a scotland win, wanting to see the proud boys in dark blue in switzerland and austria next year, to some its a game but remember to others ITS A RELIGON!

Highland Laddie
16-Nov-07, 20:37
to some its a game but remember to others ITS A RELIGON!

And we all know how many lives religion is responsible for.

scotsboy
16-Nov-07, 20:52
Watching at home in Saudi, sipping Irn Bru!

Highland Laddie
16-Nov-07, 21:17
Someday I want to be a miserable git too :)

But tomorrow I'll be in my local from 2pm. Kilt and best Scotland shirt on, no alcohol and having a really good time. Its great to see all this pride in a nation, and all over kicking a wee ball.

Each to their own, if football floats your boat, then so be it,
I would rather watch the other national team at rugby.
and yes, i also am proud to be Scottish.

GGS
16-Nov-07, 22:05
Hampden Park

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-07, 22:26
Probably lugging a heavy guitar amplifier up a flight of stairs. The mass hysteria surrounding this game is amazing, and shows you just how fickle the public can be: a few bad results, no-one cares; a few good results, everyone's waving Saltires, how good is it to be Scottish. When we were this confident last time - on our way to Argentina - we imploded spectacularly. I hope this isn't a repeat, for we always seem to get a result when we're not likely to win. I do hope Scotland go through, and that it's not, as I reckon it will be, a comfortable away win for the Italians. If not, I hope I get the amp up the stairs before McFadden puts the ball in the back of the net with one minute remaining.

As an aside, why is this football thread allowed to remain open? I hope there's no double standards here.

lagertops
16-Nov-07, 22:53
Top Joes for me and half off Thurso by the sound o things.
Come on e Scots.

If your not into football ,go and post your dribble else where!

Wellies
16-Nov-07, 22:57
Surely if you like football or not you should be wanting Scotland to win if you are Scottish. I will be setting up a bar for a dance but I will be listening in and hopefully we will be celebrating all night. Come on Scotland. (I am so jealous of those saying Hampden.)

percy toboggan
16-Nov-07, 23:34
Like all right thinking Englishmen I'll be hoping for a Scottish victory. I don't know if it's on the telly down here 'til I get my morning newspaper.

Win or lose it's been a triumph of a campaign and upped the anti for Scotttish football.
The very best of luck to all who are interested.

scorrie
16-Nov-07, 23:54
As an aside, why is this football thread allowed to remain open? I hope there's no double standards here.

There seemed to be a general amnesty on Football threads during the last World Cup Finals. Since then, it seems that sensible talk about the national team has been allowed.

Jeemag_USA
17-Nov-07, 00:06
What a bummer, just got a call from our local Scottish pub to say DirecTV called them to say the could not now allow them to screen the game because of a clasue in their agreement with ESPN. I am going to have to look for a low quality stream online now :(

Jeid
17-Nov-07, 00:40
Top Joes for me and half off Thurso by the sound o things.
Come on e Scots.

If your not into football ,go and post your dribble else where!

Me too... I'll be on the wrong side of the bar though :(

theone
17-Nov-07, 00:49
What a bummer, just got a call from our local Scottish pub to say DirecTV called them to say the could not now allow them to screen the game because of a clasue in their agreement with ESPN. I am going to have to look for a low quality stream online now :(

Unlucky mate.

Try http://www.scotlandfootballtv.com/

theone
17-Nov-07, 01:00
Me too... I'll be on the wrong side of the bar though :(

http://www.tartanarmynyc.com/music/tartanspecials-eurovision2008.mp3

http://www.tartanarmynyc.com/music/tartanspecials-easyeasywbcmash.mp3

http://www.tartanarmynyc.com/music/tartanspecials-sdsr.mp3

Maybe you should burn these to CD for halftime? Sure to enhance the atmosphere!

For the rest of yous, here's a video to get you in the mood:

http://www.tartanspecials.com/well-be-coming.html

The Pepsi Challenge
17-Nov-07, 01:11
Nup; this is far better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-zpco-O-Xs

MGB1979
17-Nov-07, 02:03

I'll be in william smith house Jim;) less than ideal:(

changilass
17-Nov-07, 02:06
Home with hubby and mini changi, c'mon Scotland

alanatkie
17-Nov-07, 02:16
I will be home with hubby & kids.
Come on e Scots, u can do it :Razz

Boozeburglar
17-Nov-07, 02:39
There is a movie beckoning if the boys do the job tomorrow. What a turn around from the humiliation and lack of belief we showed in recent times.

Seems there is a correlation between the football story and our political story recently.

I will be enjoying it on our new HDTV, albeit in ordinary SD vai Sky.

If we are doing okay come half time, wild horses will not drag me from the Fluke, and if anyone else in Inverness is reading, try that pub for the best crack in the Highland capital!

I believe it is a true 50/50.

So we have nothing to lose, and everything to get excited about.

Eat my Claymore!

;)

alanatkie
17-Nov-07, 02:44
Well sorry to say but in true Scottish form, is it not the case wheather we win or lose will we not all be celebrating wheather it be drowning our sorrows/celebrating we got this far or celebrating we beat them & we are going further forward. :D

We are all (or at least i hope we are) behind them every minute of the way.

Boozeburglar
17-Nov-07, 02:58
I agree totally, we are all behind them.

Hope the ref is too, aye?

;)

Jeemag_USA
17-Nov-07, 03:56
There is a movie beckoning if the boys do the job tomorrow. What a turn around from the humiliation and lack of belief we showed in recent times.

Seems there is a correlation between the football story and our political story recently.

I will be enjoying it on our new HDTV, albeit in ordinary SD vai Sky.

If we are doing okay come half time, wild horses will not drag me from the Fluke, and if anyone else in Inverness is reading, try that pub for the best crack in the Highland capital!

I believe it is a true 50/50.

So we have nothing to lose, and everything to get excited about.

Eat my Claymore!

;)

Exactly Boozie, when we were drawn with three worl cup semi finalists, the former world cup and european champions and the current World champions and make no mistake about it Georgia are no slouches, nobody including our own fans gave us a chance, it was the worst news we ever had. We beat world cup winner and european championship winners at home and away. To my mind I am now and will always be proud of what our small nation has done in the field of sport regardless of what heppens tomorrow. Its a time where not even lovers of sports should recognise the importance of whts happening for the vast majority of the tis country's people tomorrow. I even bet that some of the people who belittle it will turn on to see what happening tomorrow. Its like the old fuddy duddy wifie in "Whisky Galore" who ends up taking a dram despite of her upbringing. This is a moment for Scotland tomorrow, for us and nobody else, to say we're here we are a loving and proud nation and we are proud of what we do, and even if we lose we will still be proud because i the face of defeat we are always winners. Our own support, the Tartan Army has won awards from several countries including Belgium and Holland for our undying support and non violent celebration. The next several hours is a time to say I am going to watch all those proud supporters tomorrow and those players, represent their country with pride and peace!

And so it will be ;)

TRUCKER
17-Nov-07, 08:24
Lets hope the boys beat italy today. I have everything crossed hoping so lets wish them the best of luck cmon the boys.

hotrod4
17-Nov-07, 08:35
I second that emotion!!!
Good luck to all the boys, hope the caithness contigent have a good time down there.
No matter what happens the boys have given us a great sense of national pride and deserve all the praise they get.

"yabba dabba doo we support the boys in blue and its easyyyyyyyyyyyy easyyyyyyyyyy!!" :)

Jeemag_USA
17-Nov-07, 13:46
HA HA I am going to have the game live on my TV, called my cable TV company and I only had to pay an extra $5 a month to get ESPN Deportes and about 10 other Mexican channels that I can't understand and don't have subtitles, but I am going o see the game and thats all that matter [lol]

starry
17-Nov-07, 14:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAFA_X-iMHY

This made me smile

NLP
17-Nov-07, 14:53
I'll be in Helmsdale picking up hubby, not into football but hoping for a great outcome

TRUCKER
17-Nov-07, 15:02
Will be listening to the match on the radio the day history was made.

unicorn
17-Nov-07, 15:35
sitting on the sofa watching my daughter glower at me all through the game cos she is missing x-factor :lol::lol:

karia
17-Nov-07, 15:38
Is there football on today?:eek:

Anything important?;)

Karia

unicorn
17-Nov-07, 15:39
now now Karia, put that big spoon down :lol::lol:

karia
17-Nov-07, 15:45
Hi Unicorn,

I guess it would explain why the entire staff of Tesco Falkirk are wearing tartan tammies and red wigs.:roll:

I will be packing to go the lake district for a weeks holiday so sadly will miss the event...ho hum, life is sooo cruel!;)

Karia

candyfloss
17-Nov-07, 15:56
I'll be at home watching the footy,
here's hoping it i'll be a great result :)
The staff of Somerfields in Wick have all got Scotland tops on or flags tied around themselves too :lol:

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 16:03
Oh no, it's on Sky and I don't have it. [disgust]

Moi x

cullbucket
17-Nov-07, 16:16
Sitting in my office here at Prudhoe Bay - will watch the updates on BBC... No drink for me....

Jeemag_USA
17-Nov-07, 16:30
Oh no, it's on Sky and I don't have it. [disgust]

Moi x

Surely its on regular TV too, everyone in the country shoudl have access to watch on a day like this?? :mad:

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 16:33
It doesn't seem to be. I've checked the schedules and it's on Sky Sorts only as far as I can tell. Is that not a disgrace? [disgust]

Moi x

alanatkie
17-Nov-07, 16:33
Surely its on regular TV too, everyone in the country shoudl have access to watch on a day like this?? :mad:

No Jeemag. It is only on Sky sports not on normal tv unfortunately.:roll:

Punk_Bassist
17-Nov-07, 16:44
I think that its a disgrace that we cannot watch our national team on ordinary tv.Its a shame on most elderly who have no access to satelite tv.Its probably Scotlands biggest game since years and the whole nation should be able to watch on BBC or STV ,the government has lost the plot in allowing these people to control a money making racket,why pay for a license.

alanatkie
17-Nov-07, 16:47
I agree with you completely Punk_Bassist, it is a disgrace that we can't watch it on ordinary tv.

connieb19
17-Nov-07, 16:51
I think that its a disgrace that we cannot watch our national team on ordinary tv.Its a shame on most elderly who have no access to satelite tv.Its probably Scotlands biggest game since years and the whole nation should be able to watch on BBC or STV ,the government has lost the plot in allowing these people to control a money making racket,why pay for a license.Totally agree. I'm not able to watch it either and feel peed right off about it. [evil]

Oddquine
17-Nov-07, 17:04
Listening to the preamble programme on Radio Scotland atm while waiting for the match on the radio.............and I am cringing at the "we will win" phonecalls/emails.....so reminiscent of the OTT Argentina World Cup hype!

Must admit that all I ever want from a game is Scotland to play well......I can live with them losing if they were unlucky.

Having said that, I do hope they win...........even if they play badly..........it would be good not to be in the position yet again of waiting for another team to let us qualify.

telfordstar
17-Nov-07, 17:46
unfortunatly I will be sitting at home to pregant to go to a pub and watch it but have sky sports so might flick over now and again for results. Me and kids are going to watch mr beans holiday.

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 18:16
Oops. Not a good start...

I was going to go around to a pal who has cable but I think I might not bother. :~(

I know, I know, I'm a dreadful fair weather supporter but I'm listening to it on 5 Live.

Moi x

JAWS
17-Nov-07, 18:55
The fact that it is not on Terrestrial TV is surely down to the SFA, they are the ones who made to agreement and not the Government.

I like the Scotland Keeper's outfit, it's certainly unique, I've never seen one like it before.

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 19:54
Another glorious defeat. :~(

1854: "The referee was shambolic. For both sides. Absolutely shambolic."
Mark Pougatch on BBC Radio 5 Live

And that from an Englishman. Thank you for your support Mark.

Moi x

Oddquine
17-Nov-07, 20:09
Ach, well....as I said...... Must admit that all I ever want from a game is Scotland to play well......I can live with them losing if they were unlucky.

They have done well in the group they were in..........better than many of us expected, I think.

Jeemag_USA
17-Nov-07, 20:26
I still don't understand why it did not end 1-1, I am making up a wee video just now from the footage to send to UEFA, there is no reasonable scientific explanation for how you can boot a Scot out of the park, gain a free kick and score from it, Hutton didn't even do anything wrong even before that moment?? And they were not even given a corner they gave them a free kick???

Scotland you have made us proud through the whole campaign, bite the bullet, lift the heads and lets qualify for the World Cup in 2010, surely it is not possible to draw such a group again?

Jeid
17-Nov-07, 20:29
Despite the defeat, and having to work, the atmosphere was amazing in Top Joes today. It was great to see everyone getting behind the lads and it was unlucky that we didn't get a draw.

scorrie
17-Nov-07, 21:23
Another glorious defeat. :~(

1854: "The referee was shambolic. For both sides. Absolutely shambolic."
Mark Pougatch on BBC Radio 5 Live

And that from an Englishman. Thank you for your support Mark.

Moi x

The ref had a good game. It was certainly NOT a free kick that led to Italy's second goal but the Scottish goal was offside. Could have gone either way after a desperate start, Scotland just don't seem to be very lucky in the close ones.

JAWS
17-Nov-07, 21:35
According to Radio Scotland the Scotland goal was from an off-side situation and the last Italy goal was as a result of a complete mystery.
From that I would assume that the commentator on Five Live gave a fairly accurate description of the actions of the Referee.

One thing is certain though, any team which can give Italy a good run for their money and probably quite a fright into the bargain has nothing to be ashamed of by any stretch of the imagination.

karia
17-Nov-07, 21:37
Did we lose again?:eek:

At least we're consistent!

I'll get my coat....Ouch!.......Stop throwing turnips at ma heid![lol]

Kariax

Jeid
17-Nov-07, 21:43
One thing is certain though, any team which can give Italy a good run for their money and probably quite a fright into the bargain has nothing to be ashamed of by any stretch of the imagination.

Good call Jaws. I think we should be very proud of what the Scotland team has achieved in this qualifying group. To go into the last game with a chance of qualifying for the Euro Championships was far and beyond what we'd expected from this group.

Despite not qualifying, they did very well. Well done Scotland :)

scorrie
17-Nov-07, 22:40
According to Radio Scotland the Scotland goal was from an off-side situation and the last Italy goal was as a result of a complete mystery.
From that I would assume that the commentator on Five Live gave a fairly accurate description of the actions of the Referee.

Pundits tend to know hee-haw about refereeing a football game. Take the Scotland goal off and chalk the "dodgy" Italy goal off and you are left with Scotland 0 Italy 1 ie no difference. The fact is that Scotland blew it against Georgia and THAT is where the post-mortem should begin.

Scotland gave it a great go, they exceeded expectations. While we continue to blame referees we will go nowhere.

ps Did you watch the game? I saw every second of it and put that ahead of some gadgie on Radio Scotland or Radio 5

mccaugm
17-Nov-07, 22:58
Each to their own, if football floats your boat, then so be it,
I would rather watch the other national team at rugby.
and yes, i also am proud to be Scottish.

This I have to agree with. A sport for real men. More entertainment, no religious connotations and no scrapping. :Razz

Rheghead
17-Nov-07, 23:00
Never mind, there is always the world cup to look forward to or the chance to support 23 other teams in the Euros 2008[disgust].

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Nov-07, 23:30
Best team in Scottish fitbaw history have just lost out.They took last years World Cup winners so close.Thats where Scotland are at their best in their own backyards.Shootin fitbaws against garage doors.Ye see thats what happened in Paris,Faddy saw the biggest garage door and blasted.Whit a goal!!Cheers for an amazin campaign.The next World Cup.......na we'll wait for the draw.

Camel Spider
17-Nov-07, 23:41
I was in the Pub and I am totally gutted, but hey the lads did us proud throughout the campaign. I was bought a few beers by a couple of the English lads who were cheering the team along. At some point I swapped jerseys with one of them, he now has my Scotland rugby shirt and I have a Sunderland shirt (!) .. deep joy.

However having gone through that emotional roller coaster I was then confronted with the drunk ex girlfriend in social hand grenade mode. Cue a couple of hours of sniping and barbed insults topped off with a verbal broadside from her student mate who joined in because she doesnt like me because .. erm .. Im a man. And all this in full view (and earshot) of almost everyone in the pub.

Top tip for lads who may find themselves in my position .. putting "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd on the pub jokebox doesnt defuse the situation .. apparently the ex (and her mate) left their sense of humour at home today. I could actually hear their teeth grinding.

And to top it all off when I went to the toilet she put my mobile phone in her drink and then left .. this would be the drink I bought her to try to calm her down.

Worst day ever .. I post these gory details to cheer up anyone who thinks THEY had a bad day .. ;)

Moi x
17-Nov-07, 23:43
Pundits tend to know hee-haw about refereeing a football game. Take the Scotland goal off and chalk the "dodgy" Italy goal off and you are left with Scotland 0 Italy 1 ie no difference. The fact is that Scotland blew it against Georgia and THAT is where the post-mortem should begin.

Scotland gave it a great go, they exceeded expectations. While we continue to blame referees we will go nowhere.

ps Did you watch the game? I saw every second of it and put that ahead of some gadgie on Radio Scotland or Radio 5Pat Nevin was extemely critical of the referee. Am I to assume you are more expert than Mr Nevin?

Moi x

scorrie
18-Nov-07, 00:09
Pat Nevin was extemely critical of the referee. Am I to assume you are more expert than Mr Nevin?

Moi x

I am older than Pat Nevin, I have probably seen more games than him. Is Pat Nevin a referee or a former footballer? Perhaps I am a referee, you don't know. What I DO know is that the word "Expert" is a noun. You cannot be MORE expert, you are either an expert or you are not.

karia
18-Nov-07, 00:16
[quote=Camel Spider;297914]I was in the Pub and I am totally gutted, but hey the lads did us proud throughout the campaign. I was bought a few beers by a couple of the English lads who were cheering the team along. At some point I swapped jerseys with one of them, he now has my Scotland rugby shirt and I have a Sunderland shirt (!) .. deep joy.

However having gone through that emotional roller coaster I was then confronted with the drunk ex girlfriend in social hand grenade mode. Cue a couple of hours of sniping and barbed insults topped off with a verbal broadside from her student mate who joined in because she doesnt like me because .. erm .. Im a man. And all this in full view (and earshot) of almost everyone in the pub.

Top tip for lads who may find themselves in my position .. putting "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd on the pub jokebox doesnt defuse the situation .. apparently the ex (and her mate) left their sense of humour at home today. I could actually hear their teeth grinding.

And to top it all off when I went to the toilet she put my mobile phone in her drink and then left .. this would be the drink I bought her to try to calm her down.

Worst day ever .. I post these gory details to cheer up anyone who thinks THEY had a bad day .. quote]

And do you think she is posting her version on another site..or maybe..

1) popping some kippers behind your radiator

2) chocolate behind the cushions of your suite

3) getting the laundry cupboard and loo mixed up...you don't want your laundry down the loo..or worse still loo in your laundry!:eek:

4) Measuring all your sleeves and legs then lopping off 4 inches!

You Left her with your mobile??:roll: for a bet or what?

Where is your long term strategy? Hope it's not staying alive!

Karia

Camel Spider
18-Nov-07, 00:26
Karia .. Mobile drying out nicely, she left it in the drink I bought her when she left. What she will have found out by now is that I changed the language on her mobile to Portugese or something when she went out for a smoke .. :lol:

Its Ok .. I dont have a rabbit .. Im safe.

Moi x
18-Nov-07, 00:37
I am older than Pat Nevin, I have probably seen more games than him. Is Pat Nevin a referee or a former footballer? Perhaps I am a referee, you don't know. What I DO know is that the word "Expert" is a noun. You cannot be MORE expert, you are either an expert or you are not.

From the Oxford English Dictionary (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/expert?view=uk)

expert

• noun a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area.

• adjective having or involving such knowledge or skill.

My grandfather has most likely seen more games than you have but he isn't an expert.

Finally, I know who you are. :)

DeHaviLand
18-Nov-07, 01:05
Right, I just got back from the pub and heres my observations.

1)Scotland were cheated out of a draw against the world champions.

2)The Scotland team played very well and did all that we could reasonably expect of them.

3)Once again we played above our station and proved ourselves to be the best small nation in the world.

4)We can be proud of our team, and proud of our country.

5)I pulled.

Metalattakk
18-Nov-07, 02:33
Right, I just got back from the pub and heres my observations.

1)Scotland were cheated out of a draw against the world champions.

2)The Scotland team played very well and did all that we could reasonably expect of them.

3)Once again we played above our station and proved ourselves to be the best small nation in the world.

4)We can be proud of our team, and proud of our country.

5)I pulled.

In response;

1) No, Scotland weren't cheated out of anything. Sure, the free-kick decision was yet another anomaly, but overall, there was no bias shown by the ref to either team. He was as shocking for them as he was for us.

2) Yes, and more.

3) Second best small nation, apparently. According to the laughable FIFA rankings anyway.

4) Yes, and more so.

5) Yet here you are just after midnight, posting on .org? A whiff of pork pies, anyone?

buggyracer
18-Nov-07, 06:09
In response;

1) No, Scotland weren't cheated out of anything. Sure, the free-kick decision was yet another anomaly, but overall, there was no bias shown by the ref to either team. He was as shocking for them as he was for us.

2) Yes, and more.

3) Second best small nation, apparently. According to the laughable FIFA rankings anyway.

4) Yes, and more so.

5) Yet here you are just after midnight, posting on .org? A whiff of pork pies, anyone?

1) shocking none the less, let down a terrifc game.

2) apart fro the first 60 ses wee were in the game.

3) we can only go on what we are allocated, would you rather we were lower?

4) the boys done well, so close yet so far :(

5) so are you? i certainly wont loose any sleep over it:)

percy toboggan
18-Nov-07, 09:05
I'm disappointed for Scotland.
Why was this game not on terrestrial telly and available to all?
Such a decision is a disgrace ! Would it happen in an independent Scotland?

Now, I'm half-expecting , if not hoping for England to lose against Croatia - then we might have a really interesting fixture over the early summer in the shape pf home championship games. It would be a good way of examining Scotland's progress, which has been quite remarkable.

I'm no lover of England's multi-millionaire football culture and like to see it brought crashing down to earth.

Metalattakk
18-Nov-07, 12:20
1) shocking none the less, let down a terrifc game.

3) we can only go on what we are allocated, would you rather we were lower?

5) so are you? i certainly wont loose any sleep over it:)

1) Yes, but we can't complain about one poor decision without recognising that the Italians had poor decisions too.

3) Not at all. I'm happy for Scotland to be ranked so highly by FIFA. But that doesn't stop me from disliking a system that gives so much importance to the results of friendly matches. As I said, it's laughable.

5) I think you're missing the point: I wasn't claiming to have "pulled". ;)

scorrie
18-Nov-07, 13:53
From the Oxford English Dictionary (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/expert?view=uk)

expert

• noun a person who is very knowledgeable about or skilful in a particular area.

• adjective having or involving such knowledge or skill.

My grandfather has most likely seen more games than you have but he isn't an expert.

Finally, I know who you are. :)

I do beg your pardon. The phrase did not look like good English to me but language is not a strong area for me. I am not expert because I would tend to say I am not AN expert. I apologise and digress.

I DO, however, have great expertise in watching football from an entirely neutral standpoint, for the purpose of deciding likely outcomes in future games. When compiling odds, one must be totally detached from the emotions involved and focus solely on the facts. This was a skill that had to be learned for matches involving Scotland or other teams that I followed. If you are sure that Pat Nevin is as neutral in his analysis, then that is fine. It does not make him a more accurate analyst than me.

So, you know who I am. What is my opinion on the outcome of tonight's San Diego Chargers v Jacksonville Jaguars NFL game then?

scotsboy
18-Nov-07, 17:38
Pat Nevin does not have an objective bone in his body. He is a wee nyaff. I would trust Scorrie to give an unbiased and objective opinion.

Although Scotland played well enough in the 2nd half, the better team won.

IMHO McLeish should have made a tactical change mid-way through the first half, taken Hartley off and played two up front...........just my opinion.

The main thing though is that there does appear to be an overall imporvement in the National team since the departure of Bertie Vogts.

Jeemag_USA
18-Nov-07, 17:50
Pat Nevin does not have an objective bone in his body. He is a wee nyaff. I would trust Scorrie to give an unbiased and objective opinion.

Although Scotland played well enough in the 2nd half, the better team won.

IMHO McLeish should have made a tactical change mid-way through the first half, taken Hartley off and played two up front...........just my opinion.

The main thing though is that there does appear to be an overall imporvement in the National team since the departure of Bertie Vogts.

I think McLeish did make a bit of a mistake taking Scott brown off, he was covering every blade of grass on the field, I maybe would have left the formation as it was a little longer then just took Miller on for McFadden, the fresh legs right up front would have had a good effect and our midfield shape woudl have been kept. It was either that or take of the weakest link in the midfield and Brown was most definately the strongest, that baffled me? I think it baffled Scott Brown too? Actually better still would have been to take Miller on up front alone, push McFadden who had been working really hard defensively back to the midfield and took Hartley, Ferguson or McCulloch off. ferguson may have been captain but I think he was the weakest link yesterday despite grabbing the goal.

Moi x
24-Nov-07, 18:31

ps Did you watch the game? I saw every second of it and put that ahead of some gadgie on Radio Scotland or Radio 5I can't speak for anyone else but I wasn't blaming the referee for our defeat. The 5 Live commentators said he was bad because he made the wrong decision at several crucial moments. Scorrie has listed two of these, the others were (allegedly) that he failed to award Scotland a penalty, and that an Italian goal shouldn't have been chalked off for offside. Had both of these events become goals then scorrie's 0-1 result goes back to a nominal 1-2.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. :)