PDA

View Full Version : wick business park

robbie_roost
25-Mar-03, 20:22
i was wondering if anybody knows what the new building at the wick business park is going to hold?

surley theres a company interested in the site... :roll:

tommy turtle
25-Mar-03, 20:30
Tommy Turtle and co would be interested in relocating the octopi "fill no spill" plant from Atlantas........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dont bark like an elephant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robbie_roost
25-Mar-03, 20:35
well ats probably e best offer yet.....geeza job

tommy turtle
25-Mar-03, 23:38
Robbie,
In order for one to acquire a job at the octopi plant, you have to either be an amphibian or have eight arms.

If you can fulfil this criteria we may be able to arrange an interview for you at the Atlantis plant, although you would have to provide your own snorkel. We may be able to assist with flippers.

Regards,
Mr K Carp,
Director for Tommy Turtle & co

Bill Fernie
27-Mar-03, 21:47
As far as we know the building is being put up by Caithness and Sutherland Enterprise to get things going. No tenant known of as yet.

Gizmo
28-Mar-03, 20:34
CASE have been watching "Field Of Dreams" too much, you know? the "If we build it they will come" philosophy, this building is another complete waste of money, just like the business park was in the first place.

P
31-Mar-03, 14:38
Another pointless effort by CASE!

If they are trying to attract businesses to teh area then tehy won't do it by building tiny little offices like the new building they are erecting at the moment!

If they want it for local businesses - theres a bit of a false economy there! They spend the money to build it, then they give a grant to enable someone to occupy it - total pointless effort!

Anonymous
02-Apr-03, 10:17
CASE have been watching "Field Of Dreams" too much, you know? the "If we build it they will come" philosophy
Worked with Manpower up in Thurso. Wasnt the 1.21 million quid building that CASE had built for themselves the first building manpower occupied?

Bill Fernie
02-Apr-03, 12:38
There is a problem for any organisation tasked with gettting things going. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't depending on what side of the argument you look at. For many small businesses it can be a real problem finding suitable accommodation at a price they can afford especially for new businesses.
By building new small office places there is at least something available for small busineses to consider. Cost is an issue that all businesses must address and it is up to CASE to decide if the rent needs to be pitched at the new and struggleing enterprises or at the exisitng successful ones who can afford commercail rents. In the long run all businesses have to find the premises that are within their budget and it is a balancing act all businesses need to do.
The Manpower place was built with a view to a new CASE office but at least they gave it up for good reasons and in doing so created many jobs in the county. They would have been criticsied even more if the employer had not come to the area citing lack of a good office space to put staff in.
It is possible that more business premises will appear from the Pulteneytown heritage project so that small businesses may have a town address if they need to be more central. But with communications changing the way many people work there may be less need to work from anyone location with the higher costs that might involve.
CASE also has to consider h0ow to draw down funds from sources such as European funding. Pots of money are often available but can only be used with possible regenration of an area in mind. If CASE were not to attempt to draw such funding they would not be doing their job. But the money is often tied to particular aims and their choices may be limited as to what it is spent on. Funding will sledom be made available to do with as they please. So working within the guidelines of the funding packages they require to decide what will be of some benefit in the longer run for an area.
I would think that anyone walking round Wick would think that lack of suitable premises may be one of many reasons why new businesses do not start in sufficient numbers to generate new employment.
Economic surveys presnt a whole raft of reasons for the problems facing the East of Caithness but perhaps speculative buildings at the new business park may not be such a bad idea. Once the first one has tenants others may be persuades to follow and the infrastucture is already in place for several more to be put up quickly should new businesses want to move to the north or local businesses want to find a new place.
The restructuring of the East of Caithness economy following the long decline of the fishing industry and recent years of hardship for farmers may not be resolved by one new building but it should be viewed as as stake in the future.
Perhaps a smaller building is better than a very large one such as a Hunter of Brora but in the ned if any of these ventures are successful will people be as quick to throw praise as to casitigate the decisions which in the main are only doen with the benefit of hindsite.
I would be much more for making things easier for businesses who come up with investment plans of their own and taking some of the problems of planinng and so on out of it. Some ventiures may not be suitable but how often have we lost potential businesses due to inflexible rules or too many objections from vested interests.
some dynamism has to be seen in any area oto encourage businesses and a new buildinat the business park is only a small step in that direction. Wick currently has several projects investing in the area - from Wetherspoons over £1 miillion, Belhaven over £300,000 to the £4million in the Pulteneytown project. With new social project such as the Pulteneytown Peopls Project also receieving funding and a range of potential areas of spending such as repairs and improvement around Wick harbour likely to get going over the next couple of years.
There is also the likelhood that many more tourist will come to the Highlands due to the war situation. Wick has had a pretty busy winter season on the Hotel front due to all the work going on so things are not always as bad as the over all picture might have looked a year or two ago.
Unemployment still remains roughly what it was with the usual seasonal changes. Of course that is kept that way by the drain of young folk away from the area but maybe over the next couple of years dome may be able to find jobs here more than in the past and just such a new building as the one outsdie wick may help that effort.
If the decision his to be to build it or not then I am all in favour of getting on with them than not.

robbie_roost
04-Apr-03, 19:02
well im all for case making the effort for wick..and i am sure that eventually there will be companies interested in those buildings..I suppose they have to make a start sometime, so sooner the better if you ask me.

katarina
20-Feb-05, 21:38
well im all for case making the effort for wick..and i am sure that eventually there will be companies interested in those buildings..I suppose they have to make a start sometime, so sooner the better if you ask me.

Well, we're still waiting!!!!

daviddd
20-Feb-05, 23:51
Another pointless effort by CASE!

If they are trying to attract businesses to teh area then tehy won't do it by building tiny little . So, how would you encourage local business P? :)

Fran
21-Feb-05, 02:49
:D The one and only new empty building at wick Business site is to be a training dental hospital. It will open later this year and Caithness people will be able to get their teeth done there.It will be used for dental students to train as dentists. :lol: