PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Decorations

Yoda the flump
16-Nov-07, 10:58
Yep folks, its finally happened!

A house in Wick already has christmas decorations up.

starry
16-Nov-07, 11:05
I was in a B&B in Fort William last week and they had the whole lot up, tree, deccies the lot.

Mine go up at the last minute and down at the first opportunity.

rhino
16-Nov-07, 11:07
thats so sad!!!

i am all for christmas, but i like to believe in the magic of it.

maybe 2 weeks before and 1 week after for me.

mccaugm
16-Nov-07, 11:12
There is a tree covered in lights in Halkirk too. Understand the shops needing to decorate early but it still November for us mere mortals.

38 days to Christmas....yaay

floyed
16-Nov-07, 12:18
I love Christmas but that is just stupid, i usually leave it till the 2nd week of December.

candyfloss
16-Nov-07, 12:41
The 2nd week in december is early enough for me too, if i put the decorations up too soon i'd be fed up of them by the time christmas came.:confused

Hibeechick
16-Nov-07, 12:55
Well I would leave it until the 1st of December if I could!

However, its funday a week tomorrow and the window competition is judged a week today so I have to put everything out for then.

I didn't have a single house decoration up last year. I didn't see the point as there wouldn't be anyone there to see them. Didn't even have a tree at home last year but will make the extra effort to have one this year.

111heather
16-Nov-07, 13:43
if you are talking about the house in murchison st the have been up since last year

telfordstar
16-Nov-07, 14:07
Theres a house in Henrietta street thats got decorations up as well

Im usually the second week in december before i get mine up as well and take them dowm either the week after or even some of them down b4 new year and the rest after.

Im well looking forward to putting up my decorations this year as this is our first xmas in our new house and theres more room and space for me to fill with decorations:D

Yoda the flump
16-Nov-07, 14:31
if you are talking about the house in murchison st the have been up since last year

Willowbank

grandma
16-Nov-07, 15:12
Second week in December soon enough for me, although might have been a bit earlier when kids were little, due to demand. Only have a few lights outside - tasteful rather than OTT !! Love inside decorations cos you only have to wheech round with a duster once they're up. Usually take them down by the 5th (I think that's the 12th day after Christmas or something). Don't really like the houses that are overdone but each to his own.

ett23
16-Nov-07, 15:28

I've seen that house too - it is covered from top to bottom in lights! Has anyone seen them on at night yet? Reckon you'd need a pair of sunglasses! :cool:

Shabbychic
16-Nov-07, 16:11
Party pooper here.:(

Throughout the year we are constantly bombarded with; Global Warming, cut back on energy, don't leave things on stand-by, switch off lights when not in use and so on. Then Christmas comes along with the usual folks trying to outdecorate their neighbours and suddenly there is silence.

What are views on this conflict of messages being put out?

I personally am still on the fence as to Man being totally responsible for Global Warming btw.

telfordstar
16-Nov-07, 21:16
Party pooper here.:(

Throughout the year we are constantly bombarded with; Global Warming, cut back on energy, don't leave things on stand-by, switch off lights when not in use and so on. Then Christmas comes along with the usual folks trying to outdecorate their neighbours and suddenly there is silence.

What are views on this conflict of messages being put out?

I personally am still on the fence as to Man being totally responsible for Global Warming btw.

I must admit im not one personally for overdecorating the house to compete with neighbours but will admit i love having a look around the town at those folk that do compete against each other.

quirbal
16-Nov-07, 21:21
Yes, Im the same as telfordstar, I like looking at other peoples decorations.

karia
16-Nov-07, 21:45
I would love a real tree that smells great and sheds it's needles! I hate those wee fake silver or white numbers.

I would decorate my big 'smelly' tree with family baubles and put my 'fairy' from primary two, on top where she belongs.:D

In reality..I will not even put the cards up as they'll just get blown down every 5 mins when someone opens the door and I hate the 'slot in' xmas trees or 'thread suspended' card lines.

OH is not a fan of Christmas! What does that say for a Minister's son and me just a heathen![lol]

Best thing about the lead up to Christmas..You can get 'Toffifee in the shops!

That can't be bad! xx

Corsastu
16-Nov-07, 21:54
so what if this person wants to put their christmas decorations up so early its up to them some people get more excited than others at christmas and love that christmas feeling

Thumper
16-Nov-07, 21:58
I am not a fan of Christmas but I do put up the Decs for the kids,usually the 1st weekend in December.I have loads of outside stuff too,but I don't put it up now as I can't stand heights!There is also the possibility that I would blow myself up trying to wire it all up :eek: When I started doing it a few years back nobody in the street really had anything,now we all look like the Griswalds [lol] x

angela5
16-Nov-07, 22:06
I only put up the tree for the kids. I can't be bothered with other decorations, it makes it feel too cluttered.

karia
16-Nov-07, 22:08
Thumps,

Please don't blow yourself up!:eek:

'Santa's little helper' bunny in horrible explosion..only her ears and scut survived ...but both were mighty cute!

You should have seen the boots on that bunny!;)

Kariaxx

Thumper
16-Nov-07, 22:11
Aww Bless you Karia!Would you miss me?;) x

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 22:26
I am debating my outdoor decorations just now just for the simple fact that the cost of running them is horrendous :eek: but when I don't put them up half of Caithness naggs me and wants to know why they are not up :roll:

Thumper
16-Nov-07, 22:37
I am debating my outdoor decorations just now just for the simple fact that the cost of running them is horrendous but when I don't put them up half of Caithness naggs me and wants to know why they are not up :roll:
I know that feeling Unicorn! Mind you it's probably the same half that then say...look at them with all that lights up :roll: Can't win eh? x

unicorn
16-Nov-07, 22:40
Yes I am sure it is :lol: they are lovely but the price of electric these days is mad. I was £40 a week last year when the lights were up. If any go out it will just be a few choice favourites. :D

Thumper
16-Nov-07, 22:44
Yes it is expensive!I seem to feed the meter every day when I have mine up!The kids from my work used to love coming to see them though so it was worth it :) x

Julia
17-Nov-07, 00:02
I passed House of Bruar on the A9 last Sunday and every tree was decorated in little white lights! It looked quite nice really but way too early in my opinion.

floyed
17-Nov-07, 08:51
so what if this person wants to put their christmas decorations up so early its up to them some people get more excited than others at christmas and love that christmas feeling

I love that Christmas feeling to, but putting decorations up in November is a bit much.