PDA

View Full Version : Broken Promises

golach
15-Nov-07, 20:34
First Minister Alex Salmond, has broken promises to cut school class sizes.
and promises to students, first-time buyers, pensioners, parents and communities .
He also told Holyrood that he would be funding "the equivalent" of 1000 additional officers. I do not think thats what he said in his election manifesto promises. I believe the words were "Recruit 1000 additional officers".
Can anyone believe a word he or his minority governments says?

unicorn
15-Nov-07, 20:37
I am sure class sizes were cut up here this year as there was a lot of hassle with kids going into primary 1 getting places in some schools. I just assumed it was another government thing :confused

Riffman
15-Nov-07, 20:42
It depends what classes you are taking about...some can't get much smaller. When I did my degree there was only 2 of us doing it full time :D

unicorn
15-Nov-07, 20:45
Primary schools, but it was something that only started this year I think. I just remember a big hoohah at Mt Pleasant about kids that were expected to be able to get a place not knowing until late on as there is a new teacher pupil ratio now or something obscure like that.

Tom Cornwall
15-Nov-07, 20:52
What do you expect?? Alex Salmond and the Sots Nats were probably saying anything they thought may get them elected. Nothing new there.

DeHaviLand
15-Nov-07, 21:09
First Minister Alex Salmond, has broken promises to cut school class sizes.
and promises to students, first-time buyers, pensioners, parents and communities .
He also told Holyrood that he would be funding "the equivalent" of 1000 additional officers. I do not think thats what he said in his election manifesto promises. I believe the words were "Recruit 1000 additional officers".
Can anyone believe a word he or his minority governments says?

No different from your much beloved Labour party then. You really are becoming a frightful bore. The time to decide when the promises have been broken or not will be at the end of the 4 year term of government, not in the first 6 months.
Mind you, Mr. Salmond can break all his promises as long as Ms Alexanders shrill screeching keeps turning people away from Labour.

peter macdonald
15-Nov-07, 21:18
"Can anyone believe a word he or his minority governments says?" Well Golach its like this The minority SNP government probably thought they had a bit more money to play with than it has Every time it has tried to redirect its spending from projects that no one wants ie the Edinburgh Tram project look what happens.. 500 million spent at the opposition parties bidding It would take another 54 million to have another 500 police and then there was the additional spending to the farmers over the foot and mouth outbrake in Surrey that the Westminster government wouldnt pay for Now let us look at the broader picture Gordon Brown and Alister Darling (the guys who have the purse) are sure as heck not going to help an SNP government I mean if New Labour lost there Scottish seats at a general election the they would be unelectable Mind you its starting to look that way anyway by the opinion polls in England
Oh and by the way Wendy Alexander said she found the budget hard to understand and that is supposed to be the the sharpest operator in the New Labour set up Good grief
PM
PS Ever hear of a guy called Paul Drayson???? Read this then
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=315315&in_page_id=1770

golach
15-Nov-07, 22:29
No different from your much beloved Labour party then. You really are becoming a frightful bore. .
Once again you assume you know my politics, well I can only say, once again you are wrong!!!!

DeHaviLand
15-Nov-07, 22:45
Once again you assume you know my politics, well I can only say, once again you are wrong!!!!

Please show an example of when I assumed to know your politics. What is patently clear is that you have a downer on SNP in general and Alex Salmond in particular. Right from the election in May you have been unwilling to give them a chance to show what they can do, always preferring to toe the labour party line. If you're not a labour supporter, you do a pretty fair impression of one. If you are, just come out and say so. There's no great shame in it, yet!

golach
15-Nov-07, 22:51
Please show an example of when I assumed to know your politics. What is patently clear is that you have a downer on SNP in general and Alex Salmond in particular. Right from the election in May you have been unwilling to give them a chance to show what they can do, always preferring to toe the labour party line. If you're not a labour supporter, you do a pretty fair impression of one. If you are, just come out and say so. There's no great shame in it, yet!
I am certainly not labour, or snp, so why should I tell you what my politics are, I dont like the SNP or their leader, my privilage

DeHaviLand
15-Nov-07, 22:58
I am certainly not labour, or snp, so why should I tell you what my politics are, I dont like the SNP or their leader, my privilage

Shall we say Monster Raving Loony party then?

TBH
15-Nov-07, 23:00
Jesus H, you spout off about unfulfilled promises but what did the labour government do that made people switch their allegiance to the snp?
Give them a chance, they are no better and no worse than what has come before and they were elected by those that bothered to vote and those that didn't have no right to complain.

golach
15-Nov-07, 23:00
Shall we say Monster Raving Loony party then?
If you wish, but I do not think they were on the ballot papers, unless that was the party of Alex Salmond [lol]

DeHaviLand
15-Nov-07, 23:19
If you wish, but I do not think they were on the ballot papers, unless that was the party of Alex Salmond [lol]

No, I think they go under the name of UKIP now ;)

grumpyhippo
15-Nov-07, 23:25
The Monster Raving Looning Part were the first party to have the compulsory wearing of seat belts as a party policy!!! Who's the idiots now?

As reguards class sizes, why the obsession with smaller sizes. I was in a class of 42 and as far as I'm aware we all left primary school able to read and write and do maths adequately. Its the quality of the teaching and the disciplined learning environment that counts. This needs to be reinforced by a supportive home situation that encourages learning.

You can tell when a politician is lying (especially during election time) watch the mouth....if it produces sound they're lying.

golach
16-Nov-07, 01:41
Just a wee question till all ye Kaitnessian SNP supporters.........What party does your elected MSP owe allegiance too?...........I think it happens to be the Liberal Democrat Party, not Wee Fat Eck and his Tartan Tories!!!!, I rest my case.

Oddquine
16-Nov-07, 01:44
Must say that the SNP manifesto pledge on class sizes would have been a lot more achievable even under the current monetary restrictions if the Nulabour/LibDem alliance had managed to get anywhere near their own commitments by 2007 as they had promised.

But it is, of course, only the SNP which have broken promises, and the screaming starts after 145 days......while some people don't mention those broken by NuLabour/LibDems over two whole Parliamentary terms.

Oddquine
16-Nov-07, 01:47
Just a wee question till all ye Kaitnessian SNP supporters.........What party does your elected MSP owe allegiance too?...........I think it happens to be the Liberal Democrat Party, not Wee Fat Eck and his Tartan Tories!!!!, I rest my case.

But our elected MSPs are under an obligation to represent ALL their constituents...........regardless of their politics.....and if they vote down good policies simply because of party political bias....then they'd better watch for their jobs. :roll:

golach
16-Nov-07, 01:51
But our elected MSPs are under an obligation to represent ALL their constituents...........regardless of their politics.....and if they vote down good policies simply because of party political bias....then they'd better watch for their jobs. :roll:
Like Wee Fat Eck, Mr Stone has a job for the next 4 years, maybe not earning as much as 2 wages Eck, but he is the one you have to live with.

TBH
16-Nov-07, 02:07
Like Wee Fat Eck, Mr Stone has a job for the next 4 years, maybe not earning as much as 2 wages Eck, but he is the one you have to live with.
So we should have all voted snp

Oddquine
16-Nov-07, 03:21

True............but as I said...if he votes down popular policies because of political bias, he may well not have one come 2011.

Isn't that, after all, what democracy is all about.........getting rid of those who don't take notice of their constituents.

I don't actually have to live with him.........he isn't going to impinge one iota on my life..because I can't see the SNP getting policies voted down because of his vote alone.

I have to say that except when I was politically involved I have only ever noticed when Tory and Labour Governments have imposed unwelcome policies on Scotland.......or my area has suffered because they didn't vote the right way.

I hope the SNP don't go down that road...........though I would have liked to have seen the Edinburgh tram system dumped and the A9 improved a bit with the money.

peter macdonald
16-Nov-07, 09:29
"Like Wee Fat Eck, Mr Stone has a job for the next 4 years, maybe not earning as much as 2 wages Eck, but he is the one you have to live with."
Back to the name calling I see Golach Aye and this is where your assumption about peoples politics goes totally off beam as well Caithness Easter Ross and Sutherland has a pretty good Westminster MP Unlike a lot of others he resigned from his parties front bench on principle He is a Lib Dem He was voted in democratically Absolutly no problem
The area elected MSP Jamie Stone also Lib Dem again no problem They like robert MacLennan before him really seem to try to do some good for the place Of our list MSPs Rob Gibson is by far the most visable in Caithness again he seems a good guy Did you ever see any negative posting by me about Annabel Goldie ??
Seeing a pattern ??
Very recently the CWU engaged in industrial action (the rights and wrongs of which are not for this topic) they have a sponsored MP and member within the Cabinet His name is Allan Milburn Did you notice his input into trying to resolve the affair ?? If you did go and tell the CWU members because they didnt No wonder the CWU are talking about with holding funding to New Labour This New Labour seems to have not a lot in common with its supporters does it ???
On a broader scale I and a lot of others have seen a party of centre right politicians in power in Westminster for the last 10 years They took the name New Labour basically because they knew that if they had started from a fresh then they probably have gone down the tubes in the way of the Social Democrats It also meant they picked up votes from the traditional "Labour" vote by implying they were something like the Labour party ..clever?? Not in my opinion I term it dishonest They stole the name and stole the party It is more right wing than the Tories and an affront to its founding principles
PM

golach
20-Nov-07, 20:28
Another broken promise? [lol]
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1830102007

Oddquine
20-Nov-07, 21:56
Another broken promise? [lol]
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1830102007 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1830102007)

Nope.............no promises are broken before 2011 anyway..that's the term of the Government....and we are still waiting after two terms for the previous one to fulfill all of theirs.

Promises like this, maybe...............

Rather than the "bonfire of the quangos" - first pledged by Labour in 1995 and repeated by Henry McLeish, then first minister, in 2001 - there are now 11,400 Scots working for quangos: an increase of 3,300 or 40 per cent since 1999.

Anyway, you can't just scrap Quangos at the drop of a hat........whatever they are doing would have to be reallocated or finished first.

Rheghead
21-Nov-07, 00:37
No different from your much beloved Labour party then.

If they are no different to the SNP then why do you love them so much? I thought Scotland deserves better?:roll:

DeHaviLand
21-Nov-07, 00:54
If they are no different to the SNP then why do you love them so much? I thought Scotland deserves better?:roll:

Was this directed at me? If so, and you expected an answer to the question, then I have to point out that the question makes no sense. I think I deserve better :D.

Anne x
21-Nov-07, 01:18
As I have stated before if the election had been conducted properly without the sham we had of counting and faulty papers electronically or rather lack off !!! Wee Fat Eck widna be there and no Labour not my politics either just incase you wonder

DeHaviLand
21-Nov-07, 01:45
As I have stated before if the election had been conducted properly without the sham we had of counting and faulty papers electronically or rather lack off !!! Wee Fat Eck widna be there and no Labour not my politics either just incase you wonder

So you know for a fact that more spoiled papers came from Labour supporters? Maybe thats comment enough on their intelligence.

Whitewater
21-Nov-07, 02:05
Was this directed at me? If so, and you expected an answer to the question, then I have to point out that the question makes no sense. I think I deserve better :D.

Why do you deserve better???? the Scottish elections were a shambles. Would the SNP have got in if all the ballot papers were counted?, would we have had a labour government again? or perhaps it may have been the Lib Dems, who knows?

No matter who got in we would have the same stories, unfulfilled election promises. The name of the party may change, the delivery doesn't.

There are many good individual politicians spread throughout all the parties, but as long as we are governed through Westminster we will be just the same as always.

That last statement makes me seem like a nationalist, I am not. I'm proud to be a Scot, and I wear my kilt or trews whenever I can. I'm also British and proud to be that as well. My father served in WWII under the British Flag, as did many uncles and also my grandparents during WW1. We are much stronger as Great Britain and always will be. I'm proud that Scotland plays such an important part in this great nation of ours.

peter macdonald
21-Nov-07, 14:54
What is it with the name calling when ever it comes the the first minister and the Scottish Exec ?? but then again what do you expect if this is the standard set by the Scottish Labour party
Regarding the spoilt papers at the election certain ex Scottish Labour MSPs eg Allan Wilson was making big noises about taking the loss of seat to the courts Can someone tell me what happened ??? The silence has been deafening
Golachs link I see features George Foulkes George has really been doing the rounds of interviews recently I hope he behaved better toward the Scotsman than on radio
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2007/11/20/mp-foulkes-in-on-air-row-86908-20131960/

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1822132007

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnews/display.var.1510763.0.civil_servant_who_made_snp_r acist_jibe_quits_key_post.php

Tony
21-Nov-07, 21:20
Labour have broken many promises and one big one was regarding not allowing the public to vote on the E.U.
We have a new leader now but with limited tools to do the job and of course a MINORITY government making it difficult to push anything through with limited control of policies or finance. I expect the SNP were hoping to be a MAJORITY government whet these pledges were made.

Anne x
22-Nov-07, 00:45
[quote=Tony;299530]Labour have broken many promises and one big one was regarding not allowing the public to vote on the E.U.
We have a new leader now but with limited tools to do the job and of course a MINORITY government making it difficult to push anything through with limited control of policies or finance. I expect the SNP were hoping to be a MAJORITY government whet these pledges were made.[/q

well said just thank goodness they do not have a majority !!!
just stopped !!!paused !!!no name calling WELL no better not !!!

golach
26-Nov-07, 20:52
This is a 20 year old promise, now to be broken, by the SNP, when will it stop?
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1849022007

DeHaviLand
26-Nov-07, 21:58
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1849022007

How can you possibly call a shift in policy a broken promise?

golach
26-Nov-07, 22:28
How can you possibly call a shift in policy a broken promise?
this is a direct quote from the article

"
The SNP voted in the ban on co-operation during the Thatcher government, declaring that they could never enter any deals with the party of that visited the poll tax on Scotland. It has remained ever since, preventing any form of official pact between the parties. "

That was over 20 years ago

Rheghead
26-Nov-07, 23:59

The SNP voted in the ban on co-operation during the Thatcher government, declaring that they could never enter any deals with the party of that visited the poll tax on Scotland. It has remained ever since, preventing any form of official pact between the parties. "

It will probably stop when this happens.

Moi x
27-Nov-07, 01:24
How can you possibly call a shift in policy a broken promise?I don't know, but I have a similar question for golach.

Was Labour's abolition of Clause IV in 1995 a broken promise or a shift in policy?

I like the idea of fluid coalitions in a four party parliament (five party parliament if you include the Greens). The 'promise' was made more than ten years before devolution so its relevance to both a devolved parliament and a local government system with proportional representation is arguably rather small.

Not all ex-Labour voters decamped to the SNP you know.

Moi x

peter macdonald
30-Nov-07, 17:54
To build trust in our democracy, I'm sure we need a more open form of dialogue with citizens and politicians to genuinely talk about problems and solutions.

"It is about a different type of politics, a more open and honest dialogue," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6667693.stm

Well lets see how that one was broken

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1876002007
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1867076.0.0.php
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/funding/story/0,,2219667,00.html

In fact I could spend a whole evening just pasting links about the corruption that is/has been going on
Yet again the police are making their way to the doors of those in power in the land
First cash for honours .. now illegal donations laws which the government was instrumental is passing to the statute books
Really sad ..and remeniscant of a banana republic
PM