PDA

View Full Version : What do you reckon?

brokencross
15-Nov-07, 17:35
What is the only reason to go to Wick? What do you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7096520.stm

grandma
15-Nov-07, 17:45
Must admit to being quite partial to a wee nip - especially Old Pulteney's liqueur but agree it can't be the only reason to come to Wick. If I had to recommend one thing to a visitor I think it would be the Heritage Centre. It is first class.

Julia
15-Nov-07, 20:01
How very dare they!

thebigman
15-Nov-07, 20:14
Well thire is Tesco and you can pick up Old Pulteney there :-)

Tom Cornwall
15-Nov-07, 20:59
we came up in September for a visit, and took 2 friends, from here, with us. They had never been over the border before, and were very impressed with the friendliness of the people, the variety of places to eat, and the entertainment available. They said they would have no trouble with recommending their friends to visit Wick. We always have a great time when we come back home. We did have some Old Pulteney and went to the Heritage Centre as well.

golach
15-Nov-07, 21:07
I think the Wick people are better than the whisky, and if I were to visit, thats the reason I would be in Wick, no its Old Poultney........I dinna like it anyway.

George Brims
15-Nov-07, 23:52
Can I have your share then Golach?

To be honest I have heard worse things said about Wick, and not just by those people from the toon to the Northwest. In the early 70's the band Beggars' Opera played at the Assembly Rooms and for some reason that was the show one of the music rags (Melody Maker?) chose to review. They said Wick was "a small fishing village of about 1,000 people" with "aging neds staring at the band". Somebody must have really upset the reviewer because he gave over more of the review to slagging off Wick than slagging off the band. He was wrong about both.

Andrew C
16-Nov-07, 03:31
Surely people come for the weather...

Lolabelle
16-Nov-07, 03:47
Well, I don't drink whisky, and I am coming over anyway.
The lovely people I have met here on the org are the reason I am coming to visit your wonderful part of the world. And I plan to have a look around too. If anyone needs any reason to visit, perhaps they should have a bit of a look on the photography section of this forum. It all looks very inviting to me. Give or take a storm or two, lol. [lol]

bluelady
19-Nov-07, 14:42
The Town centre needs to be developed more but it's ok. The attractions outside the town need to be better signpost, ie Trinkies, Heritage centre etc. Peeps tend to go to e town and not realise about the other places around. Seals and Whales etc have all been seen at Trinkies, this ought to be promoted so more people visit. Maybe one of the old disused buildings can be made into a Caithness centre combined with a wildlife centre, full of information on local wildlife -(not as someone once told me, the ones found in e nightclubs etc[lol]) and other interesting things and we need a cinema, a small one will do! In Inverness they used to have exhibitions of weaving and how to get into a old fashioed kilt and peeps could have a go.This could include having a go at Playing the bagpipes, scottish dancing. Maybe there could be short information videos of the gala's, county shows, the knotty and things like that, e everyday things that show the area, the people, the way of life etc as it is today as opposed to yesteryear. Things that would pull people in and give them paricipation and fun.

Ash
19-Nov-07, 14:46
if it didnt have tesco's, superdrug ect i would never go

honey
19-Nov-07, 16:33
WELL...theres always the road to thurso...

IM KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Razz:lol:

Ash
19-Nov-07, 16:38
WELL...theres always the road to thurso...

IM KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Razz:lol:

lol thanks for that

Bananas
19-Nov-07, 20:18
Well, speaking as a southerner, who doesn’t like whiskey, I doubt that my comment will carry much weight but I think the reports stinks!
Mrs B and myself think that Wick and the surrounding area is fantastic, so much so that we will be house hunting next May.