PDA

View Full Version : Big Issue

grandma
14-Nov-07, 15:37
Can someone tell me why we now have people selling the Big Issue outside Tesco's? Do we have a homeless problem in Caithness or is this to fund homeless people in other places? Or have I got completely the wrong idea about the Big Issue? I must admit to feeling a bit funny about passing them but are they a registered charity or what?

alanatkie
14-Nov-07, 15:46
WHen i googled Big Issue it says a Street newspaper published on behalf of and sold by homeless people. You can check out the site for more info - http://www.bigissue.com

Boozeburglar
14-Nov-07, 15:50
Anyone in temporary accomodation is classed as homeless.

;)

sweetpea
14-Nov-07, 16:14
I'm glad to hear I'll be able to get a copy up here, it's a great read. The sellers are registered and have a badge that they wear and have to buy the copies first.
Not sure about a blatant homeless problem i.e. people sleeping under bridges and in doorways but reckon there's a lot of folk in temporary accomodation, sleeping on mates sofa's and the like. There's a few places the council has for temporary stays but less and less as a lot of them get badly damaged.

spiggie
14-Nov-07, 17:35
Yea i bought a copy the other day. Its nice to see people actually making a go of things instead of just sitting around. :)

xx_chickie
14-Nov-07, 17:35
I'm glad to hear I'll be able to get a copy up here, it's a great read.

I agree, sweetpea! It's one of the best magazines I think! The articles are always really interesting and it's for a good cause. :)

quirbal
14-Nov-07, 18:05
At least the people that sell it are at least trying to do somrthing.

golach
14-Nov-07, 20:51
Down here in Auld Reekie, the Big Issue sellers have suddenly become Eastern European, and there are some scary looking female sellers too.

cuddlepop
14-Nov-07, 20:59
It is a good magazine and I like to pick up a copy when i'm away
Unfortunatly the last time we were down the road the old guy I bought a magazine from had only sold me a copy and he'd been standing out in the pouring rain all morning with everyone totally ignoring him.
The east European sellers are too "in your face" for my liking.[disgust]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Nov-07, 21:01
The Big Issue is a great read,one of the best mags ever.It was good to have a good read on the train from Glasgow to Ayr.Tell ye what,the guy outside Queen Street station,what a sense of humour he had.

mccaugm
14-Nov-07, 21:29
I always buy one if I see a seller. Its a great read and I love the way they print exactly what people say, however it is written.

I have ALWAYS found the sellers pleasant wherever they have been.

If you get the chance buy one and read it...best with a good cup of coffee.

Froggie
14-Nov-07, 21:42
I always buy one when i see a vendor, they make a great read, and i have never come across an unpleasant seller yet, they do carry id so you can report them if they step out of line. Give these guys a break, at least they are trying to turn their lives around, they aren't begging. At least i can get a copy locally now, for a long time the nearest place seemed to be inverness.:cool:

Jeid
14-Nov-07, 23:14
I was in Glasgow last week. I was walking down Byres Road to meet my girlfriend from Uni and I met the best Big Issue seller ever... she was singing her sales pitch. Brilliant! :D

Also in Glasgow, and a bit weird I should say, a friend of mine once heard a Big Issue seller shouting "Big Issue... buy wan... get wan free" :p

nicnak
15-Nov-07, 00:43
I think the guy selling the big issue outside tesco's today was eastern european too, not that it bothers me I quite happily gave him some cash just for doing something to help himself and he was a very nice man too!
I too have never come across a horrible big issue seller and will always give them something, these folks are actually trying to turn their lives around .

Andrew C
15-Nov-07, 18:00
The Big Issue gives homeless people the opportunity to do something small to regain their financial independance. They are not given the papers for free, they have to buy them from profits they make from their sales, so it is a good lesson in budgeting and provides an incentive to 'put in the hours' to help get themselves out of their situation.

Its a great project, and although some occassionally abuse it, I always support sellers personally.

With regards to homelessness in Caithness, I'd suppose its one of those hidden things. Its not something the council will advertise, but it sure does exist.

unicorn
15-Nov-07, 18:29
This time last year I remember seeing a poor bloke who was so obviously homeless and was sleeping in shop doorways and sitting outside lidls door to get a warm every time it opened. I was gutted to see it and realise that my animals were warmer than a human being in our town. Hubby was a bit terrified that I was gonna offer him a bed I think :confused

moureen
15-Nov-07, 23:19
It was good to see The Big Issue up in Wick,a great read I always bought mine from George {out side the back of M/S Inverness}.George worked really hard to get back on his feet and a real clever guy too by the way he was the issue seller in the back of this fortnightly issue.He also writes some great poetry.

Anne x
16-Nov-07, 00:54
The Big Issue gives homeless people the opportunity to do something small to regain their financial independance. They are not given the papers for free, they have to buy them from profits they make from their sales, so it is a good lesson in budgeting and provides an incentive to 'put in the hours' to help get themselves out of their situation.

Its a great project, and although some occassionally abuse it, I always support sellers personally.

With regards to homelessness in Caithness, I'd suppose its one of those hidden things. Its not something the council will advertise, but it sure does exist.

I agree and always support them I buy them coffee and a bun when possible usually outside M & S good read

Murdina Bug
16-Nov-07, 12:08
It's not the first time the Big Issue has been in Caithness. A couple of years back a guy used to regularly sell them outside the Co-op in Thurso. He said that he came up on the train from Inverness for the day to sell them. However, he was not appreciated by the Co-op managment standing outside their door. He was on public ground though so they could not move him.

the nomad
16-Nov-07, 12:46
Be very careful who you buy Big Issue from, it is widely known that the criminal element from Eastern Europe are using bully boy and violent tactics to take control of Big Issue distribuition areas. They are then selling their own version using migrant workers and keeping all profits. This is not a rumour it's fact.

Jeemag_USA
16-Nov-07, 16:08
Everytime in the past when I have been asked to buy a copy if I had the money on me I did, its an outlet for Homeless people to do something to help themselves and thats always good to see, a homeless person who is selling the big issue is one who wants to improve his or her situation. And it is a good read.

if hoods are starting to move in on the distribution then that is very sad indeed, hope it gets sorted out.

grandma
16-Nov-07, 16:16
Thanks folks. Now I know who they are and what they are doing I have a different attitude towards them. It's terrible being ignorant about things that others take for granted. Must admit to having a rather sheltered life but thanks to .orgers I'm getting an education in ways of the world!! :D

golach
24-Nov-07, 10:19
Shows you its all over Scotland
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1842602007

Cattach
24-Nov-07, 17:30
Anyone in temporary accomodation is classed as homeless.

;)

Anyone seen Gordon Brown out with the big issue yet?

telfordstar
24-Nov-07, 19:27
Anyone seen Gordon Brown out with the big issue yet?

Haha that made me have a wee giggle:lol: