PDA

View Full Version : James Brown IS Annie: Giggles

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-07, 10:10
For the benefit of, well, at least canuck, here's a list of some gigs James Brown Is Annie are playing in Edinburgh over the next wee while in November:

Sat 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place
Mon 19 - Madogs - George Street
Wed 28 - Starbucks - Royal Mile (the coffee shop and no' a tink's front room)

Still waiting on confirmation of a support slot with Bad Manners at the Liquid Room in December, as well as gigs at Po Na Na and spanking brand new Edinburgh venue, The Voodoo Rooms.

The launch of our debut album, Any Resemblance Is Purely Coincidental, will be released, hopefully, around the end of January-beginning of February, as well. It was recorded at the world famous Dunnet Head Lighthouse by sound engineers in old-fashioned lab-coats. Good, it most certainly was.

Check it here: www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie

Also...
It's not often I advocate other bands, but y'all might want to check out a group from Edinburgh called Saint Jude's Infirmary. I met up with them to do a piece for the Record a couple of weeks ago. On their new album, they have Ian Rankin singing and writing lyrics for their song, The Foot Of The Walk. Controversial artist, Jack Vettriano (famous for his Singing Butler painting) has done a self-portrait for the album's artwork. Both Rankin and Vet' appear on their video, Goodbye Jack Vettriano at Portobello beach, literally a two-minute walk fae the house here. Check it all out here:
www.myspace.com/saintjudesinfirmary

And pix of the band recording with Rankin and Vettriano here: www.flickr.com/photos/nealesmithphotography

rob murray
14-Nov-07, 10:51
For the benefit of, well, at least canuck, here's a list of some gigs James Brown Is Annie are playing in Edinburgh over the next wee while in November:

Fri 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place

Still waiting on confirmation of a support slot with Bad Manners at the Liquid Room in December, as well as gigs at Po Na Na and spanking brand new Edinburgh venue, The Voodoo Rooms.

The launch of our debut album, Any Resemblance Is Purely Coincidental, will be released, hopefully, around the end of January-beginning of February, as well. It was recorded at the world famous Dunnet Head Lighthouse by sound engineers in old-fashioned lab-coats. Good, it most certainly was.

Check it here: www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie)

Also...
It's not often I advocate other bands, but y'all might want to check out a group from Edinburgh called Saint Jude's Infirmary. I met up with them to do a piece for the Record a couple of weeks ago. On their new album, they have Ian Rankin singing and writing lyrics for their song, The Foot Of The Walk. Controversial artist, Jack Vettriano (famous for his Singing Butler painting) has done a self-portrait for the album's artwork. Both Rankin and Vet' appear on their video, Goodbye Jack Vettriano at Portobello beach, literally a two-minute walk fae the house here. Check it all out here:
www.myspace.com/saintjudesinfirmary (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.myspace.com/saintjudesinfirmary)

And pix of the band recording with Rankin and Vettriano here: www.flickr.com/photos/nealesmithphotography (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nealesmithphotography)

Really great stuff peps. I am a big fan of hammond organ / organ playing, who is playing with you ? Any appearances up north planned ?

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-07, 11:11
JBIA's octave-guitarist, Marc Mowbray, is responsible for the Hammond playing, Rob. Marc owns a piano-bar called the Ratpack in Edinburgh (www.ratpackpianobar.com), so is no stranger to the sounds of a Hammond, Rhodes or Wurly. It's quite a satisfying sight seeing the horn (no sniggering please) of a Leslie speaker spin as the sound reverberates.

No plans to play in the Far North as of yet, but you never know. Will keep you posted if we do.

:)

guitarzan
14-Nov-07, 12:12
might try an dive through from the 'deen for at least one o those pepsi... fair enjoyed your crowd the night you trekked up to play in the blackstairs along with superelvis - and of course chobbersjnr jivin away on the dancefloor - classic. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-07, 12:19
Yeah, it was quite a sight. It's always the best shots that escape the camera, eh? And not that am flattered, but I assume you'd have another reason for visiting Edinburgh other than to see us? You won't get a three-hour-Bruce-Springsteen-type-show out of us quite yet. Though I would recommend this week's shindig at The Ark. The gig at Madogs is a last-minute half-hour set for a pal who is recording a live set there, and Starbucks? Well, if drinking coffee and eating muffins to funky tunes is your bag, then, who am I to stop you.

You should make friends with Super's alter-ego, Turbo Elvis GTI by the way: www.myspace.com/turboelvisgti

canuck
14-Nov-07, 12:56

Fri 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place

Check it here: www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie)

I loved it! I'll be there!

Jeemag_USA
14-Nov-07, 13:27
Had a listen on the myspace, sounding really, really good, nice tracks, like the title and the theme, great work! :Razz

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-07, 13:43
Cheers Jeemag. Quite like your tunes, too, but I'll wait until am asked to cover one of your gigs before I sharpen the knife. Thanks lad. :)
P*

Gleber2
14-Nov-07, 14:16
Really great stuff peps. I am a big fan of hammond organ / organ playing, who is playing with you ? Any appearances up north planned ?
The Hammond is a restored 1964 L102 and the Leslie a 1972 solid state. the album is sounding great and almost finished. A lot of mixing done with Revox and Fostex recorders along with Protools

Chobbersjnr
14-Nov-07, 19:13
Del Gado is currently being evilly harmonica'd.......................man this track is sounding EVIL!!!!

theboysintheband
14-Nov-07, 22:57
Is it Fri 16th or Sat 17th? Ur confusin' me Pepsi!!!:roll:

I cant make either but I'll def try to come along to the Monday night one! altho...Sitting back with a Hot Chocolate, listenin' to some Funky Blues sounds like a damn good idea...maybe I'll make both!!

Im away to listen to your myspace again! Guitarzan was rite! Could u no take Isaac along an make him dance at e front...I'd pay a little extra for that!

O aye Pepsi, I paid The Rat Pack a visit one night! I've always like the thought of me resting comfortably in a chair sipping on a foreign beer takin' in the sounds of a grand piano...but when I got there it was a guy (very talented all the same) with a keyboard placed on top of the real piano playin' along to The Eagles and Elton John backing tracks. Although the bloke was very talented I was a little disappointed. Is it like that most of the time or did I just pick the wrong night? What night is best to catch the sound of a piano? Its a pretty cool place (with booze discounts!) which I wouldna mind goin back til!

You couldna point me towards e rite night for my fussy, fussy tastes!!

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-07, 00:13
They do have a proper grand piano there - but only the shell. The keyboards are built into it. Not exactly authentic I agree, and it sounds like you were in on a night when, bless 'em, Owen T was playing. Marc and Al are the main two dudes, and I recommend going in on a Saturday night.

And you're right - the gigs are on Sat 17th and Mon 19th, 8pm and 7.30pm starts respectively. As for Chobbers... well, he's a busy man, and with the crummy pay musicians get in Auld Reekie, it's hard to get him down without Marc and I have to go wandering up Calton Hill on a cold night (if you know what I mean). Still, local legend Mike Purcell is our resident Edinburgh drummer, and one funky skin-smacker he is, too. He's played with everyone from Bluefinger to Blues 'N' Trouble. He's no Chobbers, but he can flirt his way around a Zigaboo Modeliste drum-fill any day of the week.

If yourself, or canuck, or whomever wants to come along, drop me a line and I'll put you on the guestlist.

Cheers!

rob murray
15-Nov-07, 10:35
The Hammond is a restored 1964 L102 and the Leslie a 1972 solid state. the album is sounding great and almost finished. A lot of mixing done with Revox and Fostex recorders along with Protools

Fantastic sound and playing, well done to all.

canuck
15-Nov-07, 14:41
Thanks boysintheband for picking up the date confusion. I was planning to head over on Friday evening. Instead, I'll aim for Monday! Let's hope I can find George Street.

Where do we get the hot chocolate? It that the Starbuck's gig?

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-07, 14:48
Madogs is halfway along George Street, canuck. It's a basement bar on the corner of Hanover Street.

Plenty hot chocolate at the Starbucks gig - it's what we're getting paid in.

Hope to see you, or anyone else who is coming along, over the next few days.

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-07, 15:20
Additional song (Peggy Jones: aka Lady Bo) up on MySpace now. By the way, the tunes are unmixed tracks with not all of the overdubs on them.

Gleber2
15-Nov-07, 16:28
Additional song (Peggy Jones: aka Lady Bo) up on MySpace now. By the way, the tunes are unmixed tracks with not all of the overdubs on them.
I think you are in for a surprise when you hear the final master. Awesome sound!!!!

theboysintheband
15-Nov-07, 22:00
Aw rite I see! Yea Im pretty sure that's the bloke!

Why haven't they got a Piano? Surely they'd have paid more for the keyboard than a second hand piano? I'll try to go along on a sat night sometime but I dont really have the same enthusiasm as before, y'know. But at least there some kind of music goin' on!

Who's playin' drums on the recordings? Chobbers? Its sounds like him! They sound great by the way. If ur ever stuck for a drummer feel free to give me a shout, I'll give it a bash! I would be nowt special but it sounds like pretty good stuff to play!

No doubt we'll be seein' you soon! Mon night I'd expect!

fred
16-Nov-07, 02:27
Why haven't they got a Piano? Surely they'd have paid more for the keyboard than a second hand piano? I'll try to go along on a sat night sometime but I dont really have the same enthusiasm as before, y'know. But at least there some kind of music goin' on!

Here, I done this one just for you.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/basin.mp3

Chobbersjnr
17-Nov-07, 16:48
If ur ever stuck for a drummer feel free to give me a shout, I'll give it a bash! I would be nowt special but it sounds like pretty good stuff to play!

so says a cheil that knows how to funk.....................with feeling. Pepsi this lad be no slouch

canuck
17-Nov-07, 20:38
I checked out the Ark this afternoon on the off hand chance the band was setting up. Alas, no one was there for all was in place. The tables and chairs were set too. Yes, tables and chairs, not like that club that theboysintheband dragged me out to where you have to stand the whole time. The Ark has a great huge room with a decent sized stage. So Pepsi and crew should have a great evening.

canuck
20-Nov-07, 00:10
Just home from a fantastic time at the Madog. It was an evening, far, far away from anything I would normally do on a Monday night. And the music was good as well.

Yes, dear orgers, our Pepsi Challenge has a full head of brilliantly blond hair. And he wears it superbly. Guitar playing is fine too.

theboysintheband, you really want to plan to be at the hot chocolate gig next Wednesday.

Jeid
20-Nov-07, 01:02
Hope the gigs have gone/go well pepsi

theboysintheband
20-Nov-07, 17:39
O yea sorry Canuck! I contacted Pepsi about no makin' last night! I was pretty ill...and whats worse...I'm makin' a trip north next week and my bleedin' lift is Wed night!

There'll be plenty other times I'm sure!

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 09:19
First gig was a bit of a nightmare: my new amp blew a valve before the end of the first tune. You could say my enthusiasm was damper than Scotland's Euro qualifying dream. Still, was impressed by the girls we managed to pull to the venue, and danced/ screamed/ jiggled throughout. Must have been Marc's new haircut or something.

Madogs: smart, but casual as the old Flicks posters used to say. Decent sound, made some new fans, got asked back for a fee-paying stint. A good night all round. And met canuck, too, a delightfully chipper wifie from the country with the Maple leaf. A joy to chat to.

Starbucks next Wednesday. Payment in muffins and espresso. Surely we can't mess that one up. What was it Meatloaf once sang: Two out of three ain't bad? Fingers crossed. And two sugars, please.

cullbucket
21-Nov-07, 16:20
As Frank Zappa said many moons ago: "What musicians tend to eat is usually brown and lumpy." What he meant by this is that musicians don't get paid enough for what they do and can only afford to eat crud. And he was right. Musicians make the music industry billions and billions of pounds - and in the end, often owe the industry money back. Wrong? You betcha.

Furthermore, it's also the bands who are part of the problem. They do themselves no favours when it comes to getting paid. As I said, (in Edinburgh at least) bands are all too willing to play gigs for next to nothing. Some even pay-to-play. Fools. Publicans like this attitude, though. If bands refuse to take what's offered to them, they know there's another 100 bands waiting to take their place. So we, the musicians, need to start charging what we believe we're worth.

Has your attitude changed about playing for free?

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 17:44
If it's free, as Colonel Parker once said, how much does it cost?

As a relatively new band with limited repertoire, I don't feel we are capable of justifying a fee-paying gig. Yet. The reason to play Madogs for free was a simple one: we were doing the headlining band, good friends Bleeker, a favour as they were recording a live album that evening. Friends often do this kind of thing.

Starbucks are paying our travel expenses plus giving us food and drink. That, in my view, is also payment.

I don't play for nothing.

cullbucket
21-Nov-07, 17:51
Well you'd better take decaf or you'll be up all night.....

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-07, 18:04
Two double espressos every day during the month of August is not unheard of. More a tea man, maesel, though.

canuck
26-Nov-07, 23:16
The twin lures of (1) hot chocolate and (2) the chance to gaze again on Pepsi's jacket of many colours are both pretty strong, but, yes but, it looks like work duty calls me on Wednesday evening. Sorry! Maybe next time.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-07, 03:03
Understandable, canuck. But snow worries - the gig at Starbucks has been canceled. We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.

Jeemag_USA
01-Dec-07, 16:01
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why don't you have a bass player??

canuck
18-Dec-07, 17:32
... We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.

Pepsi, is this still on?

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Dec-07, 17:39
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why don't you have a bass player??

Because it would only get in the way. We do, however, use an Electro-harmonix Octaver to cover the low frequencies that people who love bass can't do without.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Dec-07, 17:45
Pepsi, is this still on?

It certainly is, canuck. New Found Sound - the promoters - only allow one guestlist spot per member of the band, but you're welcome to have mine if you fancy coming along?

canuck
18-Dec-07, 21:15
It certainly is, canuck. New Found Sound - the promoters - only allow one guestlist spot per member of the band, but you're welcome to have mine if you fancy coming along?

What time? I'll be there.

WeeBurd
18-Dec-07, 21:27
Sorry Pepsi, only just getting round to giving this a blast, and it sounds great, very funky indeed. Now, is it just me being a crappy MySpacer, or is there only one track on there at the mo? No matter, I love the sound, and look forward to hearing more.:D

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Dec-07, 21:34
What time? I'll be there.

7.30pm sharp, I think, canuck. There's strict stage times so when I get them (tomorrow) I'll let you know straight away :)

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Dec-07, 21:36
Sorry Pepsi, only just getting round to giving this a blast, and it sounds great, very funky indeed. Now, is it just me being a crappy MySpacer, or is there only one track on there at the mo? No matter, I love the sound, and look forward to hearing more.:D

Cheers burdy. We did have 5 tunes up but just trying 1 (a day at the moment) to judge how many listens it gets. We're averaging 250 a day. No doubt we'll have a different one up tomorrow. Thanks for listening!

canuck
18-Dec-07, 21:59
We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.

The others in the fan club might want to note that it is on Frederick Street, not Hanover.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Dec-07, 12:07
Oops. This is true: only a two minute walk from Han(g)over Street though. Here's a link the venue's website: www.eclecticbars.co.uk/edinburghponana/

Cheers!

canuck
20-Dec-07, 20:09
Warning: it is really hidden. I went to find it today and never did discover the entrance. I'm hoping that it looks better in the dark.

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Dec-07, 23:02
Just listen for the shrieks of beautiful women in their early 20s. Not out of excitement, but of fear: Marc will probably have his belly out.

canuck
20-Dec-07, 23:29
Just listen for the shrieks of beautiful women in their early 20s. Not out of excitement, but of fear: Marc will probably have his belly out.

Careful, you might frighten away your fan club.

Jeemag_USA
21-Dec-07, 14:38
Sorry for asking this again but the last time got missed? Is there a bass player in the band, or is it just two guitars and a drummer?

canuck
21-Dec-07, 18:09
Sorry for asking this again but the last time got missed? Is there a bass player in the band, or is it just two guitars and a drummer?

The wee little space they have for performance doesn't afford them room for more than three musicians.

Jeemag_USA
22-Dec-07, 01:57
The wee little space they have for performance doesn't afford them room for more than three musicians.

Oh I understand that, it just my curiosity, normally a three piece is bass, guitar and drums, but I am basing my assumption on a photo of the band playing where there is like two telecasters and the drummer. Makes no difference to the music cause its great, just strange seeing a funk band without a bass player, but there may be one ;)

Also I had another question for Pepsi, how did you choose the song titles for the album, were the people idols or heroes of the band members and what was the significance of the people to those band members? I find it pretty interesting to get some trivia behind the music so please indulge me :Razz

canuck
23-Dec-07, 00:38
It appears to have been a busy night on the org. I was otherwise engaged, enjoying the sound of Pepsi's band and meeting his fabulous Edinburgh friends.

G2, The Pepsi Challenge is well primed for the gig in Thurso tomorrow night. Have a great evening.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Dec-07, 12:16
Oh I understand that, it just my curiosity, normally a three piece is bass, guitar and drums, but I am basing my assumption on a photo of the band playing where there is like two telecasters and the drummer. Makes no difference to the music cause its great, just strange seeing a funk band without a bass player, but there may be one ;)

Also I had another question for Pepsi, how did you choose the song titles for the album, were the people idols or heroes of the band members and what was the significance of the people to those band members? I find it pretty interesting to get some trivia behind the music so please indulge me :Razz

First thing's first: I love bass. It's an aesthetically pleasing instrument to play and listen to. However, in our band's case, it would just get in the way. It also gives us (the guitars) more freedom. Granted, an Octaver (which we use to give us bottom end) provides a different dynamic than regular bass-guitar frequencies, however, the Electro Harmonix Octaver has to be heard to be believed. If I had a penny for every sound engineer, who, during load-in time, said "where's your bass player - you'll need one" I'd probably have about 89p. After every gig, more often than not they say: "Yeah, you're right, you don't miss it." In some ways, we love proving people wrong. It's worked for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, White Stripes, Black Keys, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sleater-Kinney, I could go on...

To suggest you can't play funk (as in a feeling, not a genre) music without a bass is also ludicrous. And again, all you have to do is see us live, or, listen to our recorded music to see just that. If you can bypass that and are still not convinced, we're probably not the funk band for you. And therein lies another misconception: we're not a funk band - we're a rock band.

When I first put this type of line-up together (I did so in 1989 but that was because we genuinely didn't have a bass player) it was 1999. I was looking to put a band together that was easy to feed (all the best bands in the world are/were trios), slightly unique (in that not many people were doing it), and, above all, economical. Cue Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. The first time I saw them they offended me. Why? Because they didn't have a bass player. When I saw them play Bellbottoms on The Word, I felt, that, without a bass player, they were less than a band. Something was missing. Turns out I was just ignorant. They also sounded badly out of tune, and what was the craic with the Zombie Elvis guy? Anyway, that's by the by.

A few years later I saw them on MTV and my opinion of them changed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ui_ZM58HJSg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7aAdECxQP0E

I noticed that Spencer was playing a simplistic, bluesy-funky riff with drums grooving (on a riff of its own) over the top. Meanwhile, the singer was reeling off a simple lyric line in typical blues rhyming formation. Whenever he stopped singing, he'd punctuate the space by playing something on guitar. What they were doing seemed simple, not very technical, and almost exactly like the cotton-field blues bands of the late 40s: guitar plays bass line over simple drums while singer croons, only to fill up the space with his guitar when he stopped singing. Not much to it, yet powerfully effective. The fact there was not a bass player - and that they were 'getting away with it' so to speak - just made them stand out more. How many other band had no bass and got away with it? Not many. So my band adopted this approach and away we went. To keep things economical, the tunes were formulaic: written almost entirely in 4/4 or 3/4, complete with a verse riff, chorus riff and middle-8. A bit like AC/DC in some ways.

Sorry to put through such a big essay, Jeemag, but I hope this clears it up for you. If you're not convinced, you'll just have to come see us live sometime and make up your own mind.

As for the track title names...

They're just vague, reasonably obscure people who made an impression on me, in big and small ways. There's nothing very mystical about any of them. However, seeing as you asked, I'll give you a brief synopsis on each.

Benni Lees: Benni, or Mary as she's know in real life, used to be part of a pseudo-reggae band called Soulyard. She composed the theme to Pigeon Street (remember that?) and other tunes within the show. I loved this theme as a kid. Turns out she know lives in Edinburgh and is a piano teacher. Strangely enough she played bass during the Pigeon Street recordings ;-)

Billy Preston (Clarence): Eddie Murphy performed a skit on Saturday Night Live whereby he tried to convince a chat-show host that not only did The Beatles kick him (and his saxophone) out of the band, they stole all his best ideas. The idea that such a black presence could be such an influence on one of the whitest bands ever, humoured me. I think it was also a vague reference to Billy Preston's time with The Beatles. He was also one of many to be labelled the 5th Beatle.

Delgado Fitzhugh: Billy Connolly played a military rebel musician called Delgado Fitzhugh in a mid-80s film called Water. At the end of the film, he managed to get George Harrison and Eric Clapton on stage with him as he pleaded for the freedom of the British colony he was fighting for to a live, worldwide audience at the U.N. It's a bad film, but funny. Connolly plays a tune in the movie that sounded like The Upsetters' version of Mother Popcorn. This is our tribute to that tune.

Ed Bogus: Everyone remembers Vince Guaraldi as the 'sound' of the Charlie Brown TV and film shows. But when he died, he was replaced by Ed Bogus, who not many people remember. I prefer Guaradli's material, but Bogus wrote some nifty jazzy, harpsichord-led tunes that am also very fond of.

Guy Lombardo: Famous violinist. He was namechecked by the Blue Meanies in the Beatles' Yellow Submarine movie. The Blue Meanies were music-haters who, like the Nazis, suggest they move to Argentina after the Beatles conquer them at the end of the movie.

Jane Badler: The hot, very foxy chick who played Diana in the TV sci-fi series, V. Nuff said.

Giancarlo Esposito: famous for playing the character Buggin' Out in Spike Lee's classic, Do The Right Thing. In the movie, Buggin' Out causes racial tension to rise when he insists that the owners of Sal's Famous Italian pizzeria put up pictures of black african-americans as that who Sal's customers are. It all leads to a big fight that ends in tragic circumstances at the end of the movie. Anyway, Buggin' Out's character was played by Giancarlo Esposito. In a strange twist of irony, it turns out Esposito, is, in fact, Italian himself in real life. Lee's putting him in this role was a stroke of genius. I thought anyway.

Mark Hamill: the legend that is Luke Skywalker. I was lucky enough to speak with Mark a few times during a time I had written a biography book proposal on him. It didn't work out, but it gave me an insight to the man who was Skywalker. Mark is one talented, vastly underrated guy. He's also one of the funniest people I've ever spoken to. He's the most sought-after voice-over actor since Mel Blanc, has written his own, very cool, comic books, paved the way for CD-Rom games (Wing Commander) and won awards on Broadway, namely as Mozart in Amadeus and as the Elephant Man. He kind of interested me as he's a 20th century icon, yet had a very interesting life, and was a very interesting person behind the role he is most famously known for. So I wrote a theme tune for him.

Marco Di Sousa: the first black footballer to play for Celtic (in the 60s). He was Brazilian. Or Portuguese. I forget.

Lady Bo: the first female rock guitarist. She was in Bo Diddley's band for many many years. She looked cool with one of Bo's drinks-cabinet-looking guitars wrapped around her. Most importantly, she was an inspiration to so many other women in music.

Peter Norman: A legend. Peter was an Australian track star best known for winning the silver medal in the 200 metres at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. The gold and bronze medalists were Americans Tommie Smith and John Carlos. On the medal podium, during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner", Smith and Carlos famously joined in a black power salute. What is less known is that Norman, a white Australian, donned a badge on the podium in support of their cause, the Olympic Project for Human Rights (OPHR). It was also Norman who suggested that Smith and Carlos share the black gloves used in their salute, after Carlos had left his gloves in the Olympic Village. This is the reason for Tommie Smith raising his right fist, while John Carlos raised his left. Australia's Olympic authorities reprimanded him and the Australian media ostracized him. Despite qualifying 15 times for the 100m and five times for the 200m during 1971/72 the Australian Olympic track team did not pick Norman for the 1972 Summer Olympics. That year was the first ever where no Australian sprint team went to the Olympics. He kept running, but contracted gangrene in 1985 after tearing his Achilles Tendon during a training session, which nearly led to his leg being amputated. Depression and heavy drinking followed. Norman died of a heart attack on October 3, 2006 in Melbourne, Australia at the age of 64. USA Track and Field Federation proclaimed October 9 2006, the date of his funeral, as Peter Norman Day. Both Smith and Carlos were pall-bearers at Norman's funeral.

Sammy Parker: my first kiss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GK2aX3cXMis

Jeemag_USA
23-Dec-07, 15:28
Thanks for the explanation, its very difficult to ask a musician a question about their band without them immediately going on the offensive, I am not in anyway critisizing anything was just a question from my curiosity, you don't need to convince me of anything or be hyper sensitive about it, I already like the music with or without bass :P