PDA

View Full Version : Friends Reunited site

Fran
01-Sep-05, 01:21
Has anyone had success with tracing old friends or neighbours etc on the friends Reunited web site? i would be interested to hear of any stories. :D

lassieinfife
01-Sep-05, 15:20
Has anyone had success with tracing old friends or neighbours etc on the friends Reunited web site? i would be interested to hear of any stories. :D

HI fran, no luck on friends reunited but great stuff with genes reunited,have found my mums twin brothers family, he had not been back in scotland since serving in ww2.I decided to do family tree little realising how difficult it would be at start,then out of blue found cousins and uncle in Caithness[,thru this site,having just typed in caithness chat.....what a great find,]and info they were able to supply led me onwards to find 37 new relitaves in england.
I posted a message on the Mcpherson site, went in to look and right above my message was a message froma mcpherson looking for his family ........my new cousin would u believe it !!!!!!!!!am fair chuffed [lol]

Penny
01-Sep-05, 16:03
Hi Fran

Yes, I was found by an old school friend whom I had lost touch with 40 odd years ago just as we left school. It was such a surprise, I was thrilled to bits when I got her e.mail. We have managed to meet up once and hope to do so again in the next few weeks when she and her husband come to Caithness. Also, she had married a man with the same surname as my maiden name (which isn't a common one) - spooky. :eyes

This encouraged me to look for other school friends, quite a few classmates with whom I have chatted by e.mail.

I must say though there never seems to be any newcomers amongst my peers these days - maybe thats an age thing though - I am fast approaching the 60!! :( However, I can't resist having a look every now and then just in case there's a new name.

Penny

Lindarabett
01-Sep-05, 16:58
The Friends Reunited has the added option of being emailed if there is a newcomer. A bit like this site, which can email if there are any private messages or replies to postings. Great, as it saves having to check if the whole forum or site if you don't have much time. I prefer to read all the responses though, as it can be quite a laugh sometimes. I've not actually tried to trace anyone on Friends Reunited, though I did put my own info on it (twice, cos I couldn't remember passwords or which email address I had used!). Don't know if I would go into the Genes Reunited; my family is far too complex to begin searching! Some are in Australia, and as I don't know names ( father is non-committal with details), I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. I did put a posting a few years ago on an Australian genealogy message board, but then lost the details of it, and can't find it again. Also, email address has changed since then. Any ideas on how to pursue this one? I did notice some of the members of this forum are now located in Australia, and did wonder about asking them if they could put notices up, but there's so little info to go on, and the members of this forum might not want to. (or not know where to start...a bit like me).

Gus
02-Sep-05, 00:58
Hi,

I hit thirty-something and came aground on the rock of nostalgia not too long ago, wanting to get back in contact with those I went to school and uni with. Being an incomer, I guess I may have felt a little cut off from everywhere and everyone I hold dear, but since meeting up with a couple of old school pals, I got to remembering why we...er...'drifted apart' in the first place.

Not wishing to sound pompous, my Friends Reunited experiences made me realise that I'm lucky and happy with who I now am - and especially where I now am.

squidge
02-Sep-05, 14:46
I think that is true Gus

i have had emails from lots of old school friends and whilst im pleased to know they are well and happy, i find that after a few emails we have nothing much in common any more and so a renewed friendship doesnt last very long.

Fran
15-Sep-05, 01:32
thankyou to all for your replies which i found most interesting.
I found friends i had not heard from for 32 years when we all moved to different parts of Britain. they were godparents to my son and i advertised for them on the site and found them very quickly.
I also found a friend, now living in australlia (there is an australlian friends Reunited)quite by accident when i saw her name. i sent her an email and was surprised to find she now lives in australlia. we were friends when we were kids.
the best of all was my best friend who i lost touch with 29 years ago when we both moved suddenly and lost touch. she was advertising for me in english newspapers and i was advertising for her in scottish papers. i saw her daughters name on the site and sent her an e-mail. i was so surprised it was in fact her. when her mother, my best friend, phoned the next morning, i was speechless. She is now in london. we had a wonderful reunion and keep in constant touch, it was as if we had never parted.My friend and her husband are also my daughters godparents.
I think Friends Reunited is a wonderful site, it certainly brought me a lot of joy. :D