PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Thurso! Imminent!

bigbenjokazooie
10-Nov-07, 18:55
Hello,

as most of you know Tesco is coming to Thurso!
staff are heading back in next week before the weekend...and the doors officially open on the 26th of November!

hope to see you all on open day :)
cheers!:lol:

poppett
10-Nov-07, 19:35
It can`t come soon enough for me!

Moonboots
10-Nov-07, 19:37
There was rumours going around that upstair is open to shopping too.

But i do know that this is not a rumour.. I was told that they are applying for planning permission to extend in an upstairs department but this would not be until 6 -12 months time. Tesco want to know if its going to be worth having an upstairs or not.

maidencaithness
10-Nov-07, 19:47
Hello,

staff are heading back in next week before the weekend...and the doors officially open on the 26th of November!

hope to see you all on open day :)

Who cares?

Shouldn't your post have been a business advert?

huh
10-Nov-07, 20:54
Who cares?

We care a lot.

Ahem.

It's not doing any harm telling people what's happening. Relax.

Ash
10-Nov-07, 21:03
i care - im fed up of getting pushed about in the coop!the place is awful!
staff are rude, people push in front of you - shelves are always being filled at silly times, the shop isnt big enough for customers and shelf stacking

bluewickers
10-Nov-07, 21:31
I heard that rumour too? Can't see it somehow though. Tescos is alright, but it can be a very expensive place without you even realising it at the time.

bekisman
10-Nov-07, 21:37
Told you all this 6th Nov!
THURSO TESCO

For those who are interested ref Tesco in Thurso, seems now opening Monday 26th November.
No clothing section.
Small book section.
Food and Cafe.
And 'Tesco Direct'

mr do dar
10-Nov-07, 21:55
Who cares?

Shouldn't your post have been a business advert?you are saying that now but you will be the first in the door once it opens .

dandod
10-Nov-07, 22:31
Who cares?

how rude!!!

maidencaithness
10-Nov-07, 23:19
how rude!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a new Tesco is about as exciting to me as watching a 1970's Lancia rust away!

Perhaps I'm on the wrong site thought this was caithness.org not Tesco.org[evil]

NLP
10-Nov-07, 23:45
Who cares?

would you rather no supermarkets came north and we all had to go to Inverness for a decent shopping trip?

dancingtaz13
10-Nov-07, 23:52
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a new Tesco is about as exciting to me as watching a 1970's Lancia rust away!

Perhaps I'm on the wrong site thought this was caithness.org not Tesco.org[evil]

You're right, we are entitled to our own opinion but there's no need to say "Who Cares!" That is quite rude. Some kind person was just keeping us updated.
I think that kind of opinion should be kept to themselves! [disgust]

quirbal
11-Nov-07, 01:02

Well thats OK you just stick to doing your shopping at Lidl.

Metalattakk
11-Nov-07, 01:05
You're right, we are entitled to our own opinion but there's no need to say "Who Cares!" That is quite rude. Some kind person was just keeping us updated.
I think that kind of opinion should be kept to themselves! [disgust]

On the contrary, these are the types of opinions that need to be screamed from the rooftops, in my opinion.

There's far too much back-slapping and sycophantic agreement on this forum. It seems that anyone who disagrees with the omniscient, self-proclaimed cognoscenti is castigated and vilified unfairly for it, which is absolutely and utterly wrong.

Maidencaithness, don't be put off by them. Post your opinions as you see fit. At least then you'll have 'piece of mind', knowing that your posted views are your own.

Anne x
11-Nov-07, 01:51
On the contrary, these are the types of opinions that need to be screamed from the rooftops, in my opinion.

There's far too much back-slapping and sycophantic agreement on this forum. It seems that anyone who disagrees with the omniscient, self-proclaimed cognoscenti is castigated and vilified unfairly for it, which is absolutely and utterly wrong.

Maidencaithness, don't be put off by them. Post your opinions as you see fit. At least then you'll have 'piece of mind', knowing that your posted views are your own.

well thank god for tesco !!!

Metalattakk
11-Nov-07, 02:03
Hehe, if you must bring religion into it, at least show respect and capitalise your chosen deity.

Oh, and 'god' has a capital 'G' as well... ;)

luskentyre
11-Nov-07, 02:48

"Who cares?" hardly counts as an opinion does it? You know, most people, on finding a topic of conversation which doesn't interest them, would simply ignore it.

thickrodney
11-Nov-07, 08:42

LOL.

Good for you maiden.

Mr P Cannop
11-Nov-07, 10:31
staff are rude, people push in front of you - shelves are always being filled at silly times, the shop isnt big enough for customers and shelf stacking

what would you do if the shelves were filled up after 8pm ?? thats why they do it in the shops business hours

Ash
11-Nov-07, 10:35
what would you do if the shelves were filled up after 8pm ?? thats why they do it in the shops business hours

the shop isnt big enough for them to be constantly stacking shelves, before somerfield got changed to tesco they had staff who did nightshift and stacked the shelves. i have worked in the coop so i know what its like[disgust]

JAWS
11-Nov-07, 11:07
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a new Tesco is about as exciting to me as watching a 1970's Lancia rust away!Where is there a 1970s Lancia? They were great vehicles, well worth admiring even in a delapidated condition.

Sorry, can somebody check to see if this post should go in the Business Section. :roll:

tip top
11-Nov-07, 11:33
Hehe, if you must bring religion into it, at least show respect and capitalise your chosen deity.

Oh, and 'god' has a capital 'G' as well... ;)

Absolutely superb

NickInTheNorth
11-Nov-07, 11:37
I just wish I could understand why so many people are so excited about the imminent opening of a shop that charges over the odds for many of its products, has almost bankrupted the UK farming industry and strives endlessly to make food less and less natural and more and more processed.

Mr P Cannop
11-Nov-07, 11:54
the shop isnt big enough for them to be constantly stacking shelves, before somerfield got changed to tesco they had staff who did nightshift and stacked the shelves. i have worked in the coop so i know what its like[disgust]

thats why the shelves are filled up during the day or would you like them to wait till 8pm ?? and have nothing on the shelves during the day ??

Ash
11-Nov-07, 11:55
thats why the shelves are filled up during the day or would you like them to wait till 8pm ??

your not really making any sense, i know you work in the coop

im just saying how i feel about the place

ett23
11-Nov-07, 11:56
Hello,

hope to see you all on open day

I was just wondering where you got your info from, cos I spoke to a Tesco delivery driver yesterday and he didn't think Thurso Tesco would be open until just before Christmas! Hope it is Nov 26th tho - the sooner the better!! ;)

Ash
11-Nov-07, 11:58
if the person who posted is who i think it is then he works for the new tesco

ett23
11-Nov-07, 12:03
Well he's probably got more accurate info! Thanks!:)

Stewart
11-Nov-07, 14:16
I was just wondering where you got your info from, cos I spoke to a Tesco delivery driver yesterday and he didn't think Thurso Tesco would be open until just before Christmas! Hope it is Nov 26th tho - the sooner the better!! ;)

What we, by which I mean the staff, have been told is that it should be opening for the public on the 26th of November and the shop opens for us next week at some point, which will be a lot better than being run through to Wick for training!

dandod
11-Nov-07, 15:38

when i am on the org ad i see a thread i am not interested i tend not to look at it. maybe you should consider this option next time!!![lol]

nannydip
11-Nov-07, 15:50
I shop regularly in the co-op and have NEVER found staff rude, in fact, quite the opposite.
On friday I witnessed a customer being very rude to staff about what will happen when tescos open. I was disgusted, and was told that it wasn't an isolated incident. In my book no need for that.
Tesco, sick of hearing about it.

maidencaithness
11-Nov-07, 15:55
when i am on the org ad i see a thread i am not interested i tend not to look at it. maybe you should consider this option next time!!![lol]

Since you made no valid contribution to this one other than "how rude" surely YOU should have ignored this one!!!!!!!!!!

Yoda the flump
11-Nov-07, 18:41
Since you made no valid contribution to this one other than "how rude" surely YOU should have ignored this one!!!!!!!!!!

One believes that it was a bit of friendly advice that you were offered, and you have obviously rejected it. Manners cost nowt.

Now why don't you run along and play before bed time.

JAWS
11-Nov-07, 18:48
Can't see what the problem is to be honest. Once Tesco opens then those who wish to shop there will be able to.
Those who think Tesco are everything that's bad are under no obligation to shop there so what is the fuss all about?

How can anybody end up in a complete lather just because somebody posts that any retail outlet will be opening on a certain day?
Unless, of course, they have a vested interest elsewhere that is.

Yoda the flump
11-Nov-07, 18:54
Yep, many people are obviously interested in when Tesco opens, and if the competition in Thurso is anything like that in Wick then its obvious why.

ett23
11-Nov-07, 19:24
What we, by which I mean the staff, have been told is that it should be opening for the public on the 26th of November and the shop opens for us next week at some point, which will be a lot better than being run through to Wick for training!

Thanks Stewart. Is there going to be a prize for the first customer through the doors on open day? There was at Dingwall Tesco a few years ago and I think the first customer got £250 of Tesco Vouchers!! That would be great to win!:D

SandTiger
11-Nov-07, 19:53
Thanks Stewart. Is there going to be a prize for the first customer through the doors on open day? There was at Dingwall Tesco a few years ago and I think the first customer got £250 of Tesco Vouchers!! That would be great to win!:D

Tent for sale - Offers above £200 please :roll:

hotrod4
11-Nov-07, 19:58

Someone sounds happy!!!! ;)

bekisman
11-Nov-07, 21:01
It's no big deal (really) that Tesco has come to the Far North, apart from of course it's offering us some 20,000 lines, instead of the more usual 3,000 from Somerfield/co-op, - at a better price - and it's caused the petrol stations to bring their cost per litre down to a realistic cost - yesterday in Brora unleaded was £1.05 a litre - what was Tesco Wick? (Just thought, it's been a WHOLE year now since Tesco fuel was in Wick, so how come the same petrol suppliers are still there, the squeals of 'we'll go under' never actually materialised did they?).
The sooner Tesco comes to Thurso the better and hopefully ASDA will also appear after the ex-councillors attempts to stop them, and the 'Scottish Reporter' and the enquiry are complete. Think; ASDA has a National fuel policy, right now ASDA is 96p a lire (what's Thurso?).. Won't it be nice to no longer be ripped off..

hotrod4
11-Nov-07, 21:06
The whole point of the matter is you can shop their if you want or you can shop elsewhere,pretty straight forward really you pays your money you takes your choice.
Everytime something happens in Caithness someone somewhere wont be happy its just human nature and long may it continue!!!! otherwise wouldnt life be dull? :)

skinnydog
11-Nov-07, 21:17
Totally agree with Jaws. Everyone has a choice of where they can shop. I too cant understand what all the fuss is about.

Stewart
11-Nov-07, 23:06

No idea, sorry.

riggerboy
12-Nov-07, 14:36
i have re-named tesco the £100 loaf shop, you never seem to go in there and come out with only what you need, anyone who says its cheap has got great will power not to fall for the same bargin buys i do, i have now given in it to the fact the tesco is not the great saver place it was once thought of and to be honest i think the folks from thurso will find it the same,

lazytown
12-Nov-07, 19:32
i have re-named tesco the £100 loaf shop, you never seem to go in there and come out with only what you need, anyone who says its cheap has got great will power not to fall for the same bargin buys i do, i have now given in it to the fact the tesco is not the great saver place it was once thought of and to be honest i think the folks from thurso will find it the same,

I do the exact same thing.:lol: My shopping bill has increased now.

unicorn
12-Nov-07, 19:40
Definately agree, I went in for cat litter yesterday and spent £30 :confused

RedDawn10
12-Nov-07, 22:12
I can't wait...:lol:

Sairheed
13-Nov-07, 09:27
I went in yesterday looking for a bottle of whisky - got fed up looking for it - bought a bottle of wine at less than half the price.

Does that count as a Tesco saving?

ett23
13-Nov-07, 10:32

You need willpower of steel like me, then! It helps if you're on a diet - I can't buy treats and goodies so I don't bother browsing now - I just get what I'm after then go. And I don't walk through the clothes section anymore - deadly!! [lol]

Penelope Pitstop
13-Nov-07, 11:24
You need willpower of steel like me, then! It helps if you're on a diet - I can't buy treats and goodies so I don't bother browsing now - I just get what I'm after then go. And I don't walk through the clothes section anymore - deadly!! [lol]

Take my hat off to you ett23!!

Like some of you others I'm looking forward to having more choice of food shopping in Thurso....hurry up and open Tesco!!

windswept
13-Nov-07, 21:55

- I went shopping in co op tonight - no bread, no sunflower cooking oil, no bacon that looked tempting, no lemon juice, no waffles, no bagels, no strawberry Activia etc etc (am I too exotic with my shopping list?).
I have not found the staff rude (some are really nice and talk for ages to customers - usually the ones in front of me in the queue when Im in a hurry) but there is a lack of check out staff, plently filling shelves, pushing large cages about and complaining about being there. I reckon it must take longer for the staff to fill shelves when they have to move back and forward to let customers get to the goods off the shelves. There must have been 3 or 4 staff tonight filling the booze section but what about the food section???? To top it all when I tried to retrieve my £1 from the trolley I find that there are different types of trollies and the connectors are different - to make matters worse the connector thingy on my trolley had slipped round the handle making it a tad difficult to get the chain in. The lighting at the trolley park area isnt great which doesn't help.[disgust] Here endith todays moan. Its good to moan.

unicorn
13-Nov-07, 22:05
That post reminded me of Lidl last night. I went to get a trolley only to discover that all the little trolleys were in front of the big ones in every row and when I went to take one the chain was tied to a pole, very annoying as you then have to mess about with extra pound coins to get to a big trolley, is it so hard to put things away properly? :confused

hotrod4
14-Nov-07, 08:20
That post reminded me of Lidl last night. I went to get a trolley only to discover that all the little trolleys were in front of the big ones in every row and when I went to take one the chain was tied to a pole, very annoying as you then have to mess about with extra pound coins to get to a big trolley, is it so hard to put things away properly? :confused

Its not too hard to put away properly its just when some people shop they take on a different persona. They become wild animals in their quest to obtain goods for the family so stay in their alter ego while parking said trolley until they reach their car where they suddenly revert back to a normal person!! ;)

riggerboy
14-Nov-07, 10:43

i did have before tesco arrived then for some reason of other i had the breaking strain of a kitkat, now however i just try not going to the place,
i have been giving the tesco saying some thought (every little helps) and cant help thinking they mean every little helps them not us

ett23
14-Nov-07, 15:05
i did have before tesco arrived then for some reason of other i had the breaking strain of a kitkat, now however i just try not going to the place,
i have been giving the tesco saying some thought (every little helps) and cant help thinking they mean every little helps them not us

I like that - "breaking strain of a kit-kat"! Why can't I think up witty sayings like that!! ;)
But I agree with you, it's not every little helps (us) it's every little helps (them). The more choice you have the more you'll buy. That's why I shop online at Tesco and get a months worth of shopping at a time - the fewer times you go in a supermarket, the less money you'll spend - that's my theory! :roll:

auldalto
15-Nov-07, 10:19
Personally ,I cant wait until Tescos opens!

bigbenjokazooie
18-Nov-07, 20:01
Hey,

just to let you know most of the filling of the shop is done apart from the fresh food e.g produce,meat,deli foods etc which is arriving at the weekend before opening on the 26th of November.

the shop looks really really really good inside...nice and fresh,clean and colourful.
i hope you are all as delighted with it as i was when i first saw it!
probably look 10x better when its done which should be excellent for all of us!

store opening times are 7am-10pm mon-saturday and 9-6 on sunday :)
see u all soon! :D

Mr P Cannop
18-Nov-07, 20:40
so its open at 7am on the 26th ??

Welcomefamily
18-Nov-07, 20:48
Cant wait, but food in Wick is rubbish when compared to Inverness, hopefully Thurso will be better. Inverness breakfast is wonderful once you got passed the communication problems.

Ash
18-Nov-07, 20:58

what gives you that idea mr p cannop!!!:lol:

Mr P Cannop
18-Nov-07, 22:28
thats the opening times also heard today that tescos are building out into the feild

tenabowla
18-Nov-07, 22:50
Seems a long time for a re-coat of paint and a few new shelves. Maybe the shop might be a bit more spacious.

the_big_mac
19-Nov-07, 10:19
thats the opening times also heard today that tescos are building out into the feild

You here some right rubbish.

Did you not know that they built the wick one out of wood so they could pick it up and move it into millbank once sales drop below a profitable level in wick :rolleyes:

dunderheed
19-Nov-07, 12:39
could i take this opertunity to wish all my former workmates at the new tesco all the best for the opening and to let em know i will pop in and see them all real soon.

brew
19-Nov-07, 13:03

Did you not know that they built the wick one out of wood so they could pick it up and move it into millbank once sales drop below a profitable level in wick :rolleyes:

I thought that was why there were windmills on the roof, they were going to fly it. Save time getting the traffic warden to come and tstop the cars to let the lorry through

brew
19-Nov-07, 13:05

Only go with a tenner on you, cant spend it if you dont have it with you

bluelady
19-Nov-07, 13:23
But I agree with you, it's not every little helps (us) it's every little helps (them). The more choice you have the more you'll buy. That's why I shop online at Tesco and get a months worth of shopping at a time - the fewer times you go in a supermarket, the less money you'll spend - that's my theory! :roll:[/quote]

But you are still buying from them! I have often recieved their vouchers at times when i've been short and In am aware of all the hows and why's of these voucher's but they have come in very handy. Having more choice, dosnt have to mean you spend more, it can give you a change from the usual family shop. How many people shopped at Tesco's in Inverness before they moved here - loads, thats how they knew there was a market. Online is fine, but you can miss bargins etc, which is up to the individual wether they buy or not and pushing a trolley all around the big Tesco's even just browsing can give up to an hour or more exercise.
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

riggerboy
19-Nov-07, 14:22
Cant wait, but food in Wick is rubbish when compared to Inverness, hopefully Thurso will be better. Inverness breakfast is wonderful once you got passed the communication problems.

yip the food is terrible , the OH worked there for a short time and left due to the complaints, my self and my mate went with his son once and the service was appalling, formal complaint went in and the girl was paid off as there was to many complaints about her, went back last week some food (rubbish) now go to wetherspoons much better,

peedie
19-Nov-07, 14:31
Tent for sale - Offers above £200 please :roll:

hehehehe!!

Ash
19-Nov-07, 14:33
when tesco 1st opened we went for tea before our shopping, me and other half had fish and chips, it was horrible!! and cost £13!!! never been back!!

wouldnt go to weatherspoons,foods awful and got food poisoning from there[disgust]

hotrod4
19-Nov-07, 15:09
when tesco 1st opened we went for tea before our shopping, me and other half had fish and chips, it was horrible!! and cost £13!!! never been back!!

wouldnt go to weatherspoons,foods awful and got food poisoning from there[disgust]

Weatherspoons thats them that sell Zebu burgers isnt it?
All their food is pre cooked so they just reheat it, yuck!!

hotrod4
19-Nov-07, 15:11
The reason the wick food is rubbish is because they contracted out the kitchen to a company called avenance. The one in Inverness is run by Tesco. Think the Thurso one is contracted out but dont think its Avenance thankfully!!!

riggerboy
19-Nov-07, 19:21
The reason the wick food is rubbish is because they contracted out the kitchen to a company called avenance. The one in Inverness is run by Tesco. Think the Thurso one is contracted out but dont think its Avenance thankfully!!!

sorry to tell you but the tesco cafe in inverness is run by avenance as well, thats where all the people in wick went for training, but yes the food is much better in inverness

ett23
19-Nov-07, 20:22
and pushing a trolley all around the big Tesco's even just browsing can give up to an hour or more exercise.

Problem is when you do a month's shop it ends up being 2 trolley loads and it takes forever to load the car up and unpack it (I live in a flat at the top of 39 steps!) So I'm very happy not to have to do that every month!!! :lol:
The Tesco delivery man is paid to do that for me - thank goodness!

bigbenjokazooie
19-Nov-07, 22:48

what i believe is that the shop will be open at 7am for staff to get the shop ready...the store will have the grand opening at 10am on the 26th...its touch and go but im sure use will find out soon enough!

TBH
20-Nov-07, 02:48
The reason the wick food is rubbish is because they contracted out the kitchen to a company called avenance. The one in Inverness is run by Tesco. Think the Thurso one is contracted out but dont think its Avenance thankfully!!!Why is the food rubbish because avenance have the contract, slightly silly comment there as I'd imagine it would be because of staff ,(not them all I am sure), that are not capable enough to be working in a kitchen.

TBH
20-Nov-07, 03:12

Did you not know that they built the wick one out of wood so they could pick it up and move it into millbank once sales drop below a profitable level in wick :rolleyes:Is it the opening time that is rubbish or the plan to build onto the field?
Unless you have a direct line to the c.e.o of tesco or whoever is responsible for any possible expansion of existing stores then I would say Mr P cannop has a 50/50 chance of being right, the same as you.:D

brew
20-Nov-07, 11:18

Ash, You cant say that about Weatherspoons, some members of their staff are on here and get their back up over things like this.

Ash
20-Nov-07, 11:19
oh i know but letting others know about them

there rank!!!!!!!!!!!!![evil]

thebigman
20-Nov-07, 11:21

I hope you reported your food poisoning to Environmental Health.

As far as I'm aware the Thurso Tesco will only have a coffee bar.

Ash
20-Nov-07, 11:26
yes we did and never heard anything back yet

never eating there again

mums angels
20-Nov-07, 11:27
Ash ,did you actually prove the food poisoning came from there and report to department of health ?

i've gone almost everytime in wick , its not great and used to be much better before menu changed , hubby and i had full scots breakfasts and a childs menu for under £13 with drinks .

as for tescos i hate it ,its overpriced however i'll be pleased when it opens in thurso as i detest co-op even more .

Ash
20-Nov-07, 11:29
yes mums angel we could prove it was them as me and my partner had the exact same meal, daughter had something completely different, and that night we were both up at midnight being sick, within mins of each other, and the wee one was fine

mums angels
20-Nov-07, 11:34
yes mums angel we could prove it was them as me and my partner had the exact same meal, daughter had something completely different, and that night we were both up at midnight being sick, within mins of each other, and the wee one was fine

thats not proof ... food posining can take up to several days to show symptoms and i'm sure you and partner eat the same thing quite often . what i meant by proof was that after you reported it did you recieve confirmation from the EHO that indeed it was the fish you ate from weatherspoons ???

if not you shouldn't say that you GOT food poisoning from there ...instead saying we SUSPECT that we did get it from there would have been much more accurate

mums angels
20-Nov-07, 11:45
nice that you can afford to eat out everynight ash :roll:....my point was that it could have been YOUR cooking not weatherspoons as it CAN take a few days for symptoms to show up and i'm sure you hadnt just eaten cereal for for a few days ...:lol:

mums angels
20-Nov-07, 11:54
was being sarcastic ash ....rolly eyes was suppose to show that ... as i had said that you and partner had probably eaten the same thing the day or days before as familys often do and youd said that you and your partner eat different things when out ...

i'm sure there is nothing wrong with your cooking was just showing there could be another source of food poisioning :)

anyway this is now completly off topic of thread .

back on ...i thought new tescos was supposed to have full cafe not just coffee bar ....anyone know for sure ? hope if they do its better than food in wick :(

bigbenjokazooie
20-Nov-07, 21:29
there will be a cafe in tesco...only fresh sandwiches and hot drinks etc..nothin too fancy like fry up breakfasts or that! sorry!

Mr P Cannop
20-Nov-07, 21:38
any other updates and other info ??

unicorn
20-Nov-07, 21:45
A drop of food poisoning can be a bonus :lol: eat all you want and lose weight into the bargain:lol: I am looking forward to the opening but probably but still be in Wick once in a while for Deisel

hell raizer
20-Nov-07, 21:56
roll on monday, the coop is doing my head in. but like unicorn ill still be going down to wick to do some of my christmas shopping

unicorn
20-Nov-07, 21:57
christmas shopping nooooooooo :roll: I hate shopping :~(

Mr P Cannop
20-Nov-07, 22:01
roll on monday, the coop is doing my head in. but like unicorn ill still be going down to wick to do some of my christmas shopping

whats wrong with the co-op ??

unicorn
20-Nov-07, 22:02
Well I don't use the co op as I find it a nightmare to get round, I always feel rushed and cramped in there and if you have a double buggy then forget shopping. Is that enough from me :lol:

smirnoff
20-Nov-07, 22:17
We were in Inverness the other weekend and went to Tesco for breakfast at 9am it was nothing special food was cold and cost us £12 would'nt hurry back

Mr P Cannop
20-Nov-07, 22:50
Well I don't use the co op as I find it a nightmare to get round, I always feel rushed and cramped in there and if you have a double buggy then forget shopping. Is that enough from me :lol:

what probs u have with the co-op ??

hell raizer
20-Nov-07, 22:52
well when i go into the coop for messages i dont expect to fight with trollies and staff filling shelves. i ended going to frasiers for bread and rolls as there was nothing in the coop

Mr P Cannop
20-Nov-07, 23:01
what time do you all go to the co-op ?? big co-op and the one in spring park co-op ??

hell raizer
20-Nov-07, 23:14
i worked in the big coop for 3 years and there was no way that my ex boss would have put up with staff getting in everybodies way. i go shopping after my hubby finishes work....usually 6.30

Mr P Cannop
20-Nov-07, 23:19
thats why then

unicorn
21-Nov-07, 00:00
It doesn't matter when I go it is never a pleasant experience and I find it easier to just not go. I understand you work for them and want to stick up for them but if I do not feel comfprtable in a shop then I do not use it end of story and it doesn't matter what time I shop. If I manage to find the place half empty the till service is then a joke and there is nothing on the shelves. It is not fun to watch children nearly hit in the face by baskets because people are trying to squeeze through spaces.

changilass
21-Nov-07, 00:27
Was in the coop yesterday, they didn't even have any cooking oil, perishables I can understand running out of but not cooking oil, won't be going back in a hurry

TBH
21-Nov-07, 12:00
Maybe it would be worthwhile finding out if the coop or somerfields, and I am sure they will, have a customer complaints department, if so then why not use it and tell them about problems created by filling shelfs at inappropriate times, items being out of stock and any other problems you may incur whilst shopping in their supermarkets and maybe if enough people complain then they will try to sort those issues out.
Tescos has it's own problems with product availability, i.e, what is the use of their, 'I don't queue policy', if the shelfs are empty, caused by taking people from other areas of the store to work on the tills giving them no chance of completing their own jobs keeping shelfs fill and products available to the customer? Would you rather queue and get what you want or be rushed through the tills without what you really wanted?
The thing is, before tescos came here we all moaned about a lack of choice, how we were being ripped off by local stores because they had no competition and to get what you wanted and or a better deal we would have to take a trip to inverness, etc.
Well what is going to happen if the coop, lidl or somerfields pull out of caithness, all we are going to be left with is tescos and don't think for one moment that they wont take advantage of your lack of choice, you will pay through the nose for what you want, again, back to square one as they say?
Let's not forget the little local shops, once they are gone they are gone and they won't be coming back!

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 13:16
Let's not forget the little local shops, once they are gone they are gone and they won't be coming back!

Yeah, we used to have a local music shop in Thurso, and then it closed down. What do we have now?

Oh, that's right. A local music shop. ;)

unicorn
21-Nov-07, 13:18
Do we?? where? I really should get out more :lol:

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 13:19
Bottom of Princes Street, where Mr. Luciani had his photography shop.

alanatkie
21-Nov-07, 13:20
Its at the bottom of Princess Street - across from the health food shop.
It has only opened recently.

unicorn
21-Nov-07, 13:21
Cheers for that, I didn't even know we had one again [lol] note to self go out this weekend and open eyes [lol]

Rampant Rabbit
21-Nov-07, 13:33
Tesco window cleaner is also claiming social money so he is working on the side and this costs everone extra and am a window cleaner myself and as far as am aware off

NickInTheNorth
21-Nov-07, 14:08
Tesco window cleaner is also claiming social money so he is working on the side and this costs everone extra and am a window cleaner myself and as far as am aware off

Report it!

0800 854 440

or online:

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

both are confidential.

henry20
21-Nov-07, 14:43
Yeah, we used to have a local music shop in Thurso, and then it closed down. What do we have now?

And very helpful they are too!!

I asked them to order a cd in for me and I should have it in a couple of days. :D

TBH
21-Nov-07, 16:14

Oh, that's right. A local music shop. ;)I didn't realise that tesos, somerfields, lidl, coop were a serious threat to a music shop surviving in a town.;)

nanoo
21-Nov-07, 16:23
Went shopping to Tesco this morning, the girl at our checkout told us the shop in Thurso definately opens on Monday 26th Nov. She is training here and this is her last week, she is looking forward to Monday she says. Good luck to all their staff.;)

grumpyhippo
21-Nov-07, 16:26

Don't know if the rules have changed but you used to be able to earn a certain amout each week as long as you declared it. Been there, done it, kept it all above board!

scorrie
21-Nov-07, 21:02

I thought the local music shop was called Dounreay? Seems like any CD/DVD in the world can be bought from there.

Ash
21-Nov-07, 21:09
was in the coop today and it was awful, and staff are a problem, i was waiting to get served and the member of staff at checkout was yapping away and took ages to serve me!! roll on tescos!!!

Metalattakk
21-Nov-07, 23:45
I didn't realise that tesos, somerfields, lidl, coop were a serious threat to a music shop surviving in a town.;)

"Context".

Look it up. ;)

TBH
22-Nov-07, 00:16

Oh, that's right. A local music shop. ;)"Sarcasm"
Look it up.;)

Metalattakk
22-Nov-07, 00:43
A pox on all these smileys. :(