PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Gillock area

Solus
10-Nov-07, 12:34
Anyone tell me what the gillock area is like for getting broadband , I know it can vary greatly in a very small area, but a general idea would be good thanks

henry20
10-Nov-07, 13:48
I think it is available, but only on BT broadband, but I can check for you from someone I know that lives there and has broadband. They are on holiday just now though.

Solus
10-Nov-07, 14:13
That would be appreciated , many thanks

Geo
10-Nov-07, 18:58
It's a problem for a friend there. Apparently there are very few if any lines left and the broadband speed is extremely slow. He doesn't get any better than 512kbps. Still better than dial-up though!

steveler
10-Nov-07, 20:18
We live in gillock and can only get bt and it is very slow! and keeps crashing - very annoying.

Bobinovich
10-Nov-07, 20:33
It appears that much of the outlying areas of Caithness suffer from slower speeds and lack of ISP choice, and end up with BT, BT or BT!

However, if you're getting slow speeds then it's worth pursuing them to discount their price - they can only say no.

It's still much better than dial-up tho' - even at 512kbps...

shazzap
11-Nov-07, 00:28
Where i live we don't have any choice of internet or telephone providers.
It's Karoo or nothing.This can be very annoying when there are adverts for all sorts of different deals from other sources.c:(

Shazzap

Bobinovich
11-Nov-07, 00:32
What a pain that must be - in the main towns and villages in Caithness the broadband speed and range of ISPs is quite good. The only problem seems to be when you get further out - might be something you want to look into when you do find the house you want Shazzap.

fred
11-Nov-07, 00:43
Where i live we don't have any choice of internet or telephone providers.
It's Karoo or nothing.This can be very annoying when there are adverts for all sorts of different deals from other sources.c:(

Shazzap

From Hell Hull and Halifax dear Lord deliver us.

shazzap
11-Nov-07, 00:53
The speeds ok up to 8mbps.But i believe we should all be able to choose and no service provider should have a monopoly.
After all variety is the spice of life.

shazzap
11-Nov-07, 00:55
Ditto Ditto Ditto
This is to Hell Hull and Halifax

Kirdon
12-Nov-07, 21:30
The speeds ok up to 8mbps.But i believe we should all be able to choose and no service provider should have a monopoly.
After all variety is the spice of life.

From what I can gather no service provider has a monopoly in telephone exchanges ( at least in scotland ). The problem seems to be that most service providers are not prepared to spend the money in rural exchanges as there is a very small customer base for their investment, so it's back to the old story of money!!. In my opinion the service providers who do invest should be supported not miscalled.

Solus
12-Nov-07, 22:00
Many thanks folks, thats what i suspected.

I was up at the weekend looking at property and narrowed it down to a few places now.

hotrod4
12-Nov-07, 22:09
Broadband suppliers "buy" space at the exchange for "their" customers.The reason some people are stuck with BT is because all these offers you see from companies with "cheap" broadband is beacuse they have bought loads of bandwith from BT wholesale.They are not going to use that in small areas as there would be no point as they wouldnt make the money.So Bt cant(or wont) upgrade exchanges if their isnt going to be suppliers willing to buy the space. A viscous circle that lots of people are stuck in.

fred
12-Nov-07, 23:34
From what I can gather no service provider has a monopoly in telephone exchanges ( at least in scotland ). The problem seems to be that most service providers are not prepared to spend the money in rural exchanges as there is a very small customer base for their investment, so it's back to the old story of money!!. In my opinion the service providers who do invest should be supported not miscalled.

Shazzap isn't in Scotland, if she's limited to Karoo she's in Hull.

When Britain first got telephones they were run by a lot of private companies, each one covering their own area. When the government privatised them and brought all the telephones under the Post Office they couldn't privatise the Kingston Upon Hull company because it was owned by the council so they remained independent, the only one in Britain. They have, or had, white telephone boxes not red.

badger
20-Nov-07, 14:00
I live in Gillock exchange area and yes, Broadband is minimum speed. When it first came here we had the choice of BT or Scotnet - I chose BT as cheaper.