PDA

View Full Version : Deception

meandlife2005
29-Aug-05, 19:00
I am currently doping some research on deception and wondered if any of you have stories you would be prepared to share with me. I am talking about people you have met who turned out to be something other than what they said they were. This isnt necessarily about lovers but i am interested in what motivates people to spin a world of fantasy and deceive others for what ever reason. This can be either people you have met on the Net or in real life.... what did they do, what lengths did they go to to deceive and how come you found them out.

All help gratefully received

Lindarabett
29-Aug-05, 22:45
In regards to your question, can you determine what you mean by deception? The term deception could mean in the context of eg; fraudulent acts, such as obtaining services or goods fraudulently, or it could mean just plain lying, for the sake of lying, to impress others or to try to get oneself out of trouble. I just wondered, as you haven't outlined the purpose for research on deception (is it for academic research or purely personal curiosity?). Cheers.

meandlife2005
30-Aug-05, 13:42
I am thinking more along the lines of people that build a network of lies to deceive others about the sort of person or the sort of life hey have had.

its a piece of work for a course i am doing and what i am thinking about is the persons motives for doing this and how they sustained it and how it came out on hte open

Lindarabett
30-Aug-05, 20:58
Sounds like it could be fun, but how do you know any stories are true?? Will PM you in a day or two, very busy at work just now.

scotsboy
31-Aug-05, 06:48
How do we know you are not deceiving us?

Lindarabett
31-Aug-05, 07:52
I assume you are asking meandlife 2005. Sadly, deception, even in the mildest of forms, is part of society, and something we have to accept. We also have to take the gamble that meandlife 2005, along with everybody else we encounter, is genuine. I wouldn't have thought anyone using the forum intends to decieve anyone, as there would be nothing obvious to gain from it.

Trust is not always easy to gain, nor give.But if we didn't try to trust, we would have very unhappy lives. Even when we have been the victim of deception, we have to try to restore our trust in human nature. Life is a gamble. But some people do live lives based on fabrication, which I would have thought would, in the main, be a result of some very deep insecurities about themselves. Finding out why people decieve through the lives of others, could prove very intresting for the researcher, as well as potentially finding ways of helping those who do decieve.

As for me, I don't go round deliberately decieving people, though like most people, may bend the truth slightly, depending on what the circumstances are. I wouldn't blurt out a straight out lie, but I wouldn't always bee 100% honest if it would really hurt someone. I'd try to find something positive to say, while gently letting them down. Nor would I deliberately try to humiliate someone. So, in a sense, we all decieve at some point, but in many different ways.

bigjjuk
31-Aug-05, 09:42
no offence intended, but this topic could lead to some awkward situations where people will post against other people just for spite and give people a bad name because of this topic. If you have something to say i think you should PM your story and not post it for all too see, as this could be a deception by misleading people with false acusations.

"Phew that got a bit hard to put into words then"
:D

fred
31-Aug-05, 09:45
I assume you are asking meandlife 2005. Sadly, deception, even in the mildest of forms, is part of society, and something we have to accept. We also have to take the gamble that meandlife 2005, along with everybody else we encounter, is genuine. I wouldn't have thought anyone using the forum intends to decieve anyone, as there would be nothing obvious to gain from it.

People don't decieve for gain, even for a confidence trickster the material gain is only one of the perks, people decieve to be in control, to be the puppet master not the puppet.

lassieinfife
31-Aug-05, 10:12
The problem with deception/lies are the innocent people who get hurt on the way... and as I was taught as a youngster........... you can watch a thief but you cant watch a liar.
I know we all bend or stretch the truth at many points in our lives,but its mostly done to spare someone else hurt... but to lie constantly to boost your self ego shows a lack of self-esteem, to steel from someone is just downright nastiness,but alas they have been here since man learned to talk [lol] and will still be around when we are all cosmic dust

meandlife2005
31-Aug-05, 11:28
I was hoping for a little light hearted stuff to be honest - of course anyone with a "story" to tell can PM me if they dont want it posting here. and i wasnt looking for naming and shaming. I was just hoping for a ffrank exchange of ideas as we appear to be beginning to have.

nothing heavy folks

Joey
31-Aug-05, 13:46
I agree about the deception thing. Methinks there are quite a few who post on some of the forums that are not all they seem!!! In other words they are just stirrers hiding behind made up names!

squidge
31-Aug-05, 13:53
surely not Joey ;)

name address and phone number then ill convince you i am exactly who i appear to be

Joey
31-Aug-05, 14:06
LOL OK i surrender! Didn't mean everyone just a select few, but i think most people have the sense to see through them.

Rheghead
31-Aug-05, 18:25
I agree about the deception thing. Methinks there are quite a few who post on some of the forums that are not all they seem!!! In other words they are just stirrers hiding behind made up names!

I stand by joey's post. He was not generalising because he said 'quite a few' which does not mean the majority he meant only a significant minority.

There was no need to apologize joey. Don't be bullied by folk.

hereboy
31-Aug-05, 23:47
People don't decieve for gain, even for a confidence trickster the material gain is only one of the perks, people decieve to be in control, to be the puppet master not the puppet.

Indeed, and to take it further, there are no puppetmasters without puppets. There are those who willingly or otherwise allow themselves to be deceived even though in their heart of hearts they know something is amiss...

As Fred says, its about power - and them that are deceived give the deceivers their power.

It takes two to tango.... a match made in heaven... or wherever you personally believe such matches take place.

squidge
01-Sep-05, 15:25

I stand by joey's post. He was not generalising because he said 'quite a few' which does not mean the majority he meant only a significant minority.

There was no need to apologize joey. Don't be bullied by folk.

Hey!!!!

I wasnt bullying rheghead i was teasing which is why joey laughed - hmm at least i hope it was - i added an apporpriate smiley so that everyone knows i was teasing. You aer soooooooo serious rheghead when i am always soooooooooooooo smiley :D see!!!!

golach
01-Sep-05, 15:31
Go on Squidge, get the boots in till him [lol] :lol: < look two smileys

Lindarabett
01-Sep-05, 16:46
Hi meandlife 2005.

Have finally had a spare 5 minutes to PM you. Good luck with the researching!