PDA

View Full Version : another hello....

landmarker
29-Aug-05, 16:31
this time from sunny Manchester (?)
The more jaundiced & weary amongst you weill dismiss this post out of hand but I'm looking for information about what life is like in Wick.

I'd like to retire there c.2016 - some lorry driving to do yet - and looking at property prices they are still reasonable enough for us to consider buying now!

What attitudes/prejudices are there for incomers. English people buying secong homes which will be rented out to holidaymakers occasionally, more likely by family and friends or left empty for a few weeks at a time? Might rent short-term to a local tenant at a reasonable rent if there is a demand. Is there?

I'm aware it is not always easy to 'fit in' though we would do our level best to assimilate. We are keen to escape England, having no wish to grow old here.

We love Scotland, especially the Highlands, we have never been to Wick or Caithness which we know is different. The isolation really appeals to us, self contained individuals with a friendly streak.

If you haven't fallen asleep by now I'd appreciate any input.

Alan

fred
29-Aug-05, 18:50
Hi Alan

Wick is not unlike a similar sized town in Lancashire. It has a lot of history but much of it was built round the boom in the fishing industry around the same time the towns in Lancashire grew around the cotton industry so it has the same rows of terraced stone houses and the same community spirit.

Apart from that if you get on with your neighbours on the wrong side of the Pennines I'm confident you would get on with your neighbours up here but if it's isolation which appeals to you I'd consider somewhere outside Wick, it looks isolated on a map but it doesn't feel very isolated when you are there.

landmarker
29-Aug-05, 19:39
Thanks Fred. I suppose 'isolation' is relative. Having lived for all of my 54 years on the inner edge of the Manchester connurbation Wick would, I'm sure give me the kind of isolation I need without being cut off from the reassuring presence of community. Hopefully a community which was pulling in roughly the same direction.

Ten minutes in the car up there and I'd guess I could be in a semi-wilderness with more than enough room for quiet contemplation. Yet I'm sure there is the odd lively pub for a lunchtime or weekend pint. I've always found fishing communities, thriving or not to be amongst the most earthy and grounded places - if that's not a total contradiction in terms.

I've been reading up a little. I've never ventured north of Inverness, on the eastern side & need to remedy this in the next few weeks. Sat here with a heavily bandaged hand due to a genetic disorder common in Vikings & Norsemen I'm told :eek: , I suppose I could just be heading home. I know that's stretching things a bit but I do have a little of the romantic left in me!! ;)

For many years I have loved Scotland with a passion, my wife feels exactly the same - we still agree about some things! :o)

Things down here are changing mighty fast. Too fast. I could go on but you have probably heard it all before and the way things are headed I might be locked up.

In an ideal world we'd ask our daughter (33) and Grandaughter (2) to come up there with us.

In the meantime we'll check things out and see how the funds stack up.
I really appreciate your response. Thanks again.

regards

Alan