PDA

View Full Version : pumpkin pie

christina
08-Nov-07, 22:22
any one got a recipie for pumkin pie my mum used to make it but she lost the recipie years ago and cant remember it. i realy like it:lol:

brandy
09-Nov-07, 10:48
yup easy peasy to make.. well once you carve out all the pumpkin that is *G*
and can you tell me where to find some pumpkins!!

1 cup sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
4 lg eggs
3 cup pumpkin
1.5 cans (12 oz each) evaporated milk

carve up your pumpkin and slice into halves put in dish and cover in foil. bake in oven at 180 for about an 1:30 to 2 hrs.. (or untill soft)
scoop all the pumpkin from the rhind and puree it.
(now that the hard part is over.. time for the easy bits!)

then in a BIG mixing bowl..
mix together all ingrediants.. (remember one small pumpkin will yeild about 6 cups of pumpkin.. that you can freeze and use later!)
then pour to the Rim of your pie crust.. it needs to be full up as it does evaporate in the oven! and dont worry about it looking like orange water.. because its suppose to.. *G* it will firm up in the oven!
bake at 210 for 15 min then 175 for 45 min..
reduce temp for fan assisted ovens.
when done take a knife and slip in the center to make sure its done

then once it cools enough to cut.. throw on some whip cream and enjoy!

Buttercup
09-Nov-07, 18:40
yup easy peasy to make.. well once you carve out all the pumpkin that is *G*
and can you tell me where to find some pumpkins!!

I'm keen to give this a go Brandy, but as there's no pumpkins about, could it be made with butternut squash? :confused

brandy
09-Nov-07, 19:48
you can make it with sweet potato's and its very similar.. just substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin

Buttercup
09-Nov-07, 21:34
you can make it with sweet potato's and its very similar.. just substitute sweet potatoes for pumpkin
Cheers Brandy, I'll be trying it out.:)

canuck
09-Nov-07, 21:48
Buttercup, on the other side of the pond you can buy pumpkin pie filling in a tin. But alas, I've not found it here. Sporran, please make some pumpkin pie and think of us as you savour each luscious bite!

I harvested my Jack O'Lantern once and made it into pie. It wasn't the same as the tinned stuff though! And years ago I remember my mother making pie from squash. Sweet potato sounds like a fabulous alternative. In the end though, the reason for pumpkin pie is to have an excuse to eat all those fabulous spices.

brandy
09-Nov-07, 23:01
i made pumpkin pie a couple weeks ago before halloween.. one of the pumpkins from lidls.. and this is a small pumpkin made two 12 inch pies and two 9 inch pies!
it turned out very very yummy as well .. i had never made it from scratch before.. and other than the trouble of preparing the pumpkin is well easy as pie! *G*

ohhh and just to let you know the main dif. between pumpkin and sweet potato is the texture is just a bit dif. ive had sweet potato pie before and didnt realise that it wasnt pumkin until i was about 4 bites in *G*

Sporran
10-Nov-07, 02:28
Buttercup, on the other side of the pond you can buy pumpkin pie filling in a tin. But alas, I've not found it here. Sporran, please make some pumpkin pie and think of us as you savour each luscious bite!

I harvested my Jack O'Lantern once and made it into pie. It wasn't the same as the tinned stuff though! And years ago I remember my mother making pie from squash. Sweet potato sounds like a fabulous alternative. In the end though, the reason for pumpkin pie is to have an excuse to eat all those fabulous spices.

Er, I'm afraid it's been years since I've made pumpkin pie from scratch! :o But it just so happens that I have a ready made one in my freezer! Will that do? I even have cream topping to go with it! :D

Like Brandy says, it is difficult to tell the difference between sweet potato and pumpkin pie, just a slight difference in texture.

sassylass
10-Nov-07, 02:29
A good thing about pumpkin pies is that they freeze well, so you can make a slew of them ahead of time.

Ricco
10-Nov-07, 19:10
Hmmm - you two are making me drool! Long time since I made a pumpkin pie. Must do one soon.

canuck
10-Nov-07, 20:36
Er, I'm afraid it's been years since I've made pumpkin pie from scratch! :o But it just so happens that I have a ready made one in my freezer! Will that do? I even have cream topping to go with it! :D

Perfect!!!!

brandy
10-Nov-07, 20:42
ohhh just saw on ebay.. you can get libbys pumpkin pie mix for 1.95 with 1.95 shipping!!

canuck
10-Nov-07, 20:49
Oh brandy, I've too many Scottish genes working on me here - I'll go with your method of fresh pumpkin rather than pay £2 for shipping. Besides, who knows how old the filling might be.

brandy
11-Nov-07, 10:17
the onnly problem is getting fresh pumpkin.. you can get it before halloween.. and then its gone!