PDA

View Full Version : Wick High School

angela5
08-Nov-07, 12:34
Just had a phone call from my son to pick him up at 12 as the school is freezing and most of the children are heading home.

scorrie
08-Nov-07, 12:40
I phoned the School just now (11.30) and was told the School was NOT closing, as the forecast was for easing winds in the afternoon. They are keeping an eye on the situation though.

angela5
08-Nov-07, 12:41
I phoned the School just now (11.30) and was told the School was NOT closing, as the forecast was for easing winds in the afternoon. They are keeping an eye on the situation though.

Crafty Little so and so!
I was just going to ring the school, thanks.:D

Spring Flower
08-Nov-07, 12:47
Crafty Little so and so!
I was just going to ring the school, thanks.:D

that made me laugh !!! let me know the outcome was he being a crafty so and so ... or is the school shutting!!

angela5
08-Nov-07, 12:49
that made me laugh !!! let me know the outcome was he being a crafty so and so ... or is the school shutting!!

Scorrie mentioned he rang the school and they are not closing, but keeping an eye on the situation.
He is crafty, anything to bunk out of French!:D

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 12:58
Scorrie mentioned he rang the school and they are not closing, but keeping an eye on the situation.
He is crafty, anything to bunk out of French!:D

Haha good ol' French! Hope you sort him out angela! :lol:

angela5
08-Nov-07, 13:22
It's only the the Town folk in at school, the country buses weren't running.
Apparantly 2 windows in the maths block have blown in!

pirateeye
08-Nov-07, 13:55
It's only the the Town folk in at school, the country buses weren't running.

my brother fought with the wind this morning up our road for half a mile to catch the bus, from lybster. he waited for the bus, which came, only to be told by the driver that the school (wick high) was shut...

miss swanson
08-Nov-07, 13:59
do u no if the buses r runnin?were at the college but they wont send us home

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 14:20
do u no if the buses r runnin?were at the college but they wont send us home

I think the town/local service buses are still running, maybe only the school ones not running?

nikki
08-Nov-07, 15:00
well the wick high school bus is the same as the public bus. everyone is just thrown on the same bus.

rangers1873
08-Nov-07, 15:12
i drive the bus for the watten kids, and i have not been informed that it is not running, so much for the school saying that the winds would be easing in the afternoon they are actually getting worse, all the kids should of been put home today as there was a severe weather warning given on the weather forcast, all that matters to wick high is there good attendance,there not worried about the kids safety who have to walk home in servere winds with things flying about from roofs and trees.

angela5
08-Nov-07, 15:22
i drive the bus for the watten kids, and i have not been informed that it is not running,

My son really didn't want to go to French, what a chancer.

~~Tides~~
08-Nov-07, 17:32
A day of complete farce at WHS. When windows and skylights begin to break under the pressure of the wind you really should be getting out of there. Also with the heating broken down in the main part of the school it was just about as cold inside as it was out! At it's most farcical today, the english dept. were banned from using their rooms, as it was just to cold (around 10 degrees), but for some reason French classes were displaced to these rooms. The school was basically unusable.
The situation could have been aided with some common sence, which was in short supply. Lessons were not really going to come to much with half of the school (all the country pupils) absent, but now they are going to have people of with colds and things due to being in an un-heated building all day. Madness!

rainbow
08-Nov-07, 22:28
Judging by the state of Wick High School it needs a total re-build. School Council is now going to take the matter further and get something positive done about the state of the school. If there was a school in this state of disrepair in Inverness it would have been rebuilt by now!!!????

quirbal
08-Nov-07, 23:26
Well I am apalled at Wick High School. I obviously wasn't safe for the children to go to school.

hotrod4
09-Nov-07, 08:42
Well I am apalled at Wick High School. I obviously wasn't safe for the children to go to school.

I hope you mean - "IT" obviously wasn't safe for the children to go to school !!!.
Loved the typo one of the best I've seen for ages, thanks for brightening my day :)

BRIE
09-Nov-07, 14:12
aparently when the children complained of it being so cold because of the heating failing & the broken windows the rector told them it wasnt a reason to shut the school!

rangers1873
09-Nov-07, 15:14
thats all right for the rector to say,after all he will be okay in his lovely warm office,

quirbal
09-Nov-07, 18:30
I hope you mean - "IT" obviously wasn't safe for the children to go to school !!!.
Loved the typo one of the best I've seen for ages, thanks for brightening my day :)

Ehat ate yoy talkong sbout I bever nake tuping mostakes.:lol:

rfr10
09-Nov-07, 21:10
Maybe, if all the Highland schools weren't basically run by the HQ in Inverness then the school may possibly have been closed. It's mainly up to Inverness to decide what schools should close. Goodness knows why Thurso high school was closed when all the primary schools in Wick were open.

Today, we spent 1 period almost searching for a classroom to go for English. What a waste of a lesson. The heating is broken in one part of the school. The power was off in part of the school today and for the classrooms that did have power, they had no lights. Our supervised study teacher tried phoning another classroom but the phone was dead so she phoned up the office with her mobile phone, surprised to get the rector on the phone. Then as she was told she shouldn't have phoned him because he was in a meeting, she wandered what the rector was doing answering the phones in the office. Then finding out that she actually phoned the rectors office with more teachers following her behind saying that when people try to phone the school office they are getting through to classroom extensions instead! So.. after enough excitement.. off we went to physics. Spent about 15 mintues in the class, another teacher came through and told us that now the heating had broken down in this part of the school aswell.. We just lit a few bunson burners to heat the place up but then off we went to music where we had to sit in freezing cold because the heating had broken there too. Just a waste of a day really.

rainbow
09-Nov-07, 21:57
I think you are exagerating a bit. Yes the old part of the school has no heating, but it will be sorted by Monday (lets hope as it was rather cold!!!). With regards to the power failure, as far as I know it went off in 4 rooms 15 mins before lunch and was back on after lunch. With all these constant faults it is about time the school was upgraded properly or replaced.

~~Tides~~
09-Nov-07, 22:13
Maybe, if all the Highland schools weren't basically run by the HQ in Inverness then the school may possibly have been closed. It's mainly up to Inverness to decide what schools should close. Goodness knows why Thurso high school was closed when all the primary schools in Wick were open.

No. It is up to the rector whether or not his school is open.

Yes the old part of the school has no heating, but it will be sorted by Monday (lets hope as it was rather cold!!!).

It definatly will not be sorted by monday, as the new pipe needs to come from Holland or somewhere. And the entire length of pipe doors at the lift to the boilers needs to be dug up and replaced. I doubt that that is going to happen by Monday.

Teachers are refusing to teach in those classrooms, and rightly so.

corgiman
09-Nov-07, 22:56
surely conditions such as these breach basic health and safety rules :confused

lynne duncan
09-Nov-07, 23:05
as far as this link sets out the temp is 18c

http://www.teachers.org.uk/resources/pdf/heating2002.pdf
MINIMUM TEMPERATURES IN SCHOOLS
The Education (School Premises) Regulations 19991 set out the legal
requirements for minimum temperatures in schools. These are:
• 18ºC (64.4ºF) in areas of normal level of physical activity associated
with teaching (ie ordinary classrooms)
• 21ºC in areas of lower than normal activity (e.g. sick rooms); and
• 15ºC in areas of higher than normal activity (e.g. gymnasia,
washrooms).
The Regulations require that schools have heating systems capable of
maintaining these minimum temperatures and also that school classrooms are
actually heated up to at least these temperatures for as long as the rooms are
used for their normal purpose. Temperatures in school classrooms must
therefore be at least 18ºC (64.4ºF).

gollach
10-Nov-07, 00:21
Goodness knows why Thurso high school was closed when all the primary schools in Wick were open.

Well if you had witnessed the weather in Thurso you would have known why the rector closed the school.

Yoda the flump
10-Nov-07, 00:36
Well if you had witnessed the weather in Thurso you would have known why the rector closed the school.

I take it that the weather conditions were not too disimilar in Wick.

corgiman
10-Nov-07, 00:58
Yes but the extension in Thurso is surrounded by scaffolding etc, so it would have been hazardous in those winds as there is lots of building stuff around.

quirbal
10-Nov-07, 01:13
Yes but the extension in Thurso is surrounded by scaffolding etc, so it would have been hazardous in those winds as there is lots of building stuff around.

Yes but when it gets to the point that the windows are blowing in surely it is not safe for the school to be open.

corgiman
10-Nov-07, 01:15
I absolutely agree I don't think any children should have been out in that weather.

Yoda the flump
10-Nov-07, 01:25
As has been pointed out the school was/is not in a fit condition for school childern to be in, due to broken windows, heating etc.

If I had known that the school was in such a condition yesterday I would have taken my children out of the school; their health and safety comes before missing a day - and with so many off anyway what did they learn?

BRIE
10-Nov-07, 12:19
im hoping the heating,windows etc will be fixed by monday & if not i will be keeping my children at home. No doubt this will be put down as an unauthorised abscence! but children wont learn anything if their cold.

quirbal
10-Nov-07, 14:29
At the end of the day all it really comes down to is that the rector would rather put the childrens health at risk rather than close the school!