PDA

View Full Version : Very wet & windy!!!

neepnipper
08-Nov-07, 11:10
Oh my, as forecast my windows are getting jet washed by the rain and winds that knock you for six, how is everyone else?

Anne x
08-Nov-07, 11:18
we have no rain !! so far in Aberdeen but it is blowing a hooley

12.20 Its lashing Rain and Wind and wrecking the garden

golach
08-Nov-07, 11:21
Brilliant sunshine, blue cloudless skys here, but breezy :)

octane
08-Nov-07, 11:22
should die down later on,

Because its bin day today round our area, once there emptied they are just
projectiles and the wind is blowing them round the street and a few cars have been hit. Obviously we all have to put them out then go to work etc so who is liable for any damage that is done.

Angela
08-Nov-07, 11:25
Looks as if it rained here during the night, Anne, and the wind woke me up about 4a.m. :( no obvious damage to be seen though.

At the moment it's bright, breezy and cold here.

Oddquine
08-Nov-07, 11:31
Watching the street lamp outside my window swaying back and fore as best as I can through the streaming rain........and wondering if the old folks crossing sign on it is going to stay there or visit me.

Wish
08-Nov-07, 11:38
Dry at the moment but hailing earlier, quite windy, my wheely bin has just gone over.

hell raizer
08-Nov-07, 11:50
got fed up running outside to shut shed doors........so weve banged a nail in them. fingers crossed that does the trick :lol:

angela5
08-Nov-07, 11:54
Wheelie bins are everywhere! Some poor kids tent was flying around above the roof tops in Ackergill Street this morning.

thirsaloon
08-Nov-07, 12:05
Grrrr, my Sky Tv is off today, anyone else have problems or is it just mine! :roll:

Dont think I will venture far today, brrrrrr! :(

hell raizer
08-Nov-07, 12:10
my sky tv is ok, has anyone else got sore ears with this wind ?

neepnipper
08-Nov-07, 12:14
It's hard to breath in it, it really is strong, any guesses on the wind speed?

changilass
08-Nov-07, 12:15
Ooooops there goes the wood shed roof, having said with the draw on the fire at the moment I could burn wood straight from a bucket of water:roll:

According to Tuggs weather site the highest gust in the last hour was 71.5

octane
08-Nov-07, 12:18
what bugs me is that there was ample warning of very high winds yet some people dont act on it, ie Taking down or securing trampolines, playhouses basically anything that can go airborne or get thrown about.
At least minimize the amount of potential projectiles because someone or something will get hurt/damaged

lynne duncan
08-Nov-07, 12:21
check www.xcweather.co.uk
gives you the wind speed from the airport readings i think
its giving 40 to 50mph from wick

Saveman
08-Nov-07, 12:26
I've just discovered that horizontal hail hurts.

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 12:31
I've just discovered that horizontal hail hurts.

Ouch! Wouldn't fancy that at the moment! You're brave, Saveman! :eek:

Ash
08-Nov-07, 12:32
i cant believe how cold it is, havent actually been out, just put the dog out for the toilet and he was straight in and out, doesnt happen often so he must be cold lol:D

dandod
08-Nov-07, 12:59
keep your eye out for some flying solar panels,heard tesco lost a few! and has anyone sen my blue recycling box? its probably o its way to orkney!!

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 13:01
keep your eye out for some flying solar panels,heard tesco lost a few! and has anyone sen my blue recycling box? its probably o its way to orkney!!

Poor Tesco, the whole 'green' approach is fairly being challenged, first with the wind turbines then the solar panels! :eek:

Hope you find the recycling box, dandod!

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 13:07
what bugs me is that there was ample warning of very high winds yet some people dont act on it, ie Taking down or securing trampolines, playhouses basically anything that can go airborne or get thrown about.
At least minimize the amount of potential projectiles because someone or something will get hurt/damaged

well i though i had secured everything the other night when tugs first put the warning up but still had to go out and take the canopy of playcenter as i thought it would be fine as it was very secure but turned out that was the problem it was so well on that it was acting as a sail making the whole thing move(even thought the center its self is anchored etc ) i had to take a knife to it . its the things that you can't secure that bothers me , the roof tiles , sheds etc i think my shed is ok but tiles are falling of the roof and i wouldn't be surprised if one goes throught he shed roof :(

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:10
well at least we have electric it seems dornoch don't.

thirsaloon
08-Nov-07, 13:11
:( My Sky Tv is still off, phoned my cousin and his is on, life can deal some cruel cruel blows! :~(

brandy
08-Nov-07, 13:16
omg.. the roof to the family center bit of bens playgroup has blown off at little nippers! i was so freaked when i went down to get him and their were fire trucks and firemen everywhere!!

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:19
well there is a perfect reason for schools and nurseries to be closed in this weather. I hope everyone is ok and the kids were not too scared by it.

neepnipper
08-Nov-07, 13:19
A friend of a friend predicts storms, he's right every time, predicted this one, he says we're going to have a storm as bad as the one 20 years ago at the end of this month!!!

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:21
hmmmmmmmm the insurance companies are going to be busy then

floyed
08-Nov-07, 13:21
my sky tv is ok, has anyone else got sore ears with this wind ?

Took the bairn to school today and when i got in my ears where well sore:(

Julia
08-Nov-07, 13:35
While I was at the cash machine at Tesco a solar panel crashed to the ground behind me, to say I got a gluff was an understatement :eek:, it then took off across the car park and just missed my car! There was very loud banging and thumping noises coming from the roof and lots of staff were running around, by the time I left another panel had come off, I counted six missing as I left the carpark.

One of the traffic lights near the Caithness General is lying on the road, lucky it didn't hit anyone.

floyed
08-Nov-07, 13:39
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7083615.stm

Mister Squiggle
08-Nov-07, 13:41
Speaking of Tescos, I was in there this morning in the alcohol aisle (an indictment on me, I know) and all the bottles were rattling! Each time the wind gusted they'd start shaking around on the shelves (and no, before you start, I was not having withdrawals ...) I thought the shelves were going to fall down from the movement, but then I did also think "What a way to go!". ;)

neepnipper
08-Nov-07, 13:41
There's a Walkers crisp lorry blown over at Quoys of Reiss, hubbie went in police station to report it, think they already knew.

teddybear1873
08-Nov-07, 13:44
Weather link down below. Quite good info

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 13:47
A friend of a friend predicts storms, he's right every time, predicted this one, he says we're going to have a storm as bad as the one 20 years ago at the end of this month!!!

oh please don't say that , i can't cope as it is today not alone thinking that wahtever i get repaired might blow off again in a month :(

kriklah
08-Nov-07, 13:48
Definately glad of Tugs warning. I went out yesterday morning and took the net and poles off the tramopline, then got help to turn the rest over so its lying flat, its a biggy so didnt fancy losing it, and sofar its still there!! Bit worried about the greenhouse though, as the door blew off last lot of gales we had and the opening is north facing letting the wind straight in. Dont fancy glass all round the garden for next few weeks, the dog would have to where boots to go out!![lol]

Must say though, i wouldnt mind if Hydros pylon in the field next to us blows down, judging the angle it would come done it would land on our sunroom roof, trashing the windows - but i fancy a nice new conservetory:cool:

Julia
08-Nov-07, 13:51
My birdbath took off this morning and broke in half :(.

Two lorries were blown over at Gills.

Thumper
08-Nov-07, 13:51
One of my neighbours walls has come down!it is a bit wild out there!:eek: x

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 13:57
One of my neighbours walls has come down!it is a bit wild out there!:eek: x

i hope you mean garden wall and not house wall!!! :eek:

Thumper
08-Nov-07, 14:01
oops!Sorry!yes it is the garden wall x

Tighsonas4
08-Nov-07, 14:04
pretty bad especially in gusts here. my blue bin also on its way to orkney.
orkney have closed all schools also the barriers
hail in some of the showers tony

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 14:18
:(thats the hail started here and the winds picked up again :~( i thought it was supposed to ease off by now

thirsaloon
08-Nov-07, 14:25
There's a Walkers crisp lorry blown over at Quoys of Reiss, hubbie went in police station to report it, think they already knew.

Nooooooooooo, not a Walkers crisp lorry! :~( I must rush to the shop before the panic starts! Dont have many left in the house!

Braved the weather, 3 slates from my neighbours roof put a dent in my dish. Little wonder my Sky Tv was off. Ach well, I suppose we will all have repairs etc to get done.

However I unplugged it, took the card out for an hour and whoooooooo hoooooo its back on! Hurrah for Sky!

bekisman
08-Nov-07, 14:32
Piers Corbyn tells us we were in for a storm (that was today) and that the next one - worst in a decade - will be 24th November. BUT this will leave us alone up here and hit the south; phew!

"Following summer floods and a picture perfect autumn, Britain is this month braced for a battering from the worst storms in two decades, according to a former Shropshire weather expert.
Piers Corbyn, the former Newport-based head of Weather Action Long Range Weather Forecasters, issued two severe storm warnings yesterday.
The astrophysicist has predicted the batterings could rival that of the great storm of 1987 which uprooted trees, and brought death and destruction.
Hurricane force winds, which swept across the south of England, left a death toll of 18 and brought parts of the country to a standstill.
According to Mr Corbyn the storms this month - which will also affect parts of Scandinavia - will hit Britain in two waves.
The first will hit on Thursday and will mainly affect Scotland, he said. The second storm will come later in the month, at about November 24, and will hit southern England and parts of the West Country.
But the Midlands and parts of Shropshire and Wales could be affected too.
Mr Corbyn, whose studies are based on solar activity, warned there was “an 85 per cent chance of major rain and damaging winds, including thunder, floods and a high risk of local tornados”.
He said: “Preparations should be made. Like the major rainstorm with strong winds over Britain on 27 to 28 October, both these waves of storms will have associated flood and storm events around the world.”
However, the Met Office was today reported as being sceptical about Mr Corbyn’s storm predictions.
They come at a time when a separate weather forecasting body, Meteocare, was reported as predicting a more mild winter following the summer of storms.
But experts for the organisation said that this prediction did not mean that Britain would not be hit with snowfalls and cold snaps.
Tim Defty, managing director of Meteocare, said there were strong indications that January would be very mild, with temperatures possibly 2C above average for the time of year.
He said the month could be one of the five warmest on record."

DM07
08-Nov-07, 14:35
I hate the wind. So destructive and we have no control over it. I spent hours yesterday taking things apart, packing them away. Pinning them down with bricks and I still lose a window off the caravan!!
Bring the rain anyday.

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 14:37
My living room has just filled with sunshine ..maybe thats a sign its letting up ..lets hope so :)( the dark clouds out the other side tell a different story however)

Munro
08-Nov-07, 14:42
I was'nt going to gloat, down in Sussex I have been gardening in shorts and
tee shirt, then Bekisman said something about a big storm in the South at end of November, the devastation in 1987 was unreal but fortuneately at night.
We may not be so lucky next time.

thirsaloon
08-Nov-07, 14:45
:lol: I just noticed in this thread how many orgers are not going outside to brave the weather and are online! Little wonder! Oh well, must walk to the bank now, may as well say farewell to you all in case I get blowen away! :lol:

NickInTheNorth
08-Nov-07, 14:46
Well I've been enjoying the weather here in Thurso in shorts and tee shirt too! So the gloating is a bit premature :D

Solus
08-Nov-07, 14:56
Just read on the BBC news site that coastguard helicopter and lifeboat on route to Cape Wrath after a emergency signal from a beacon was picked up !! Although there is no report of any vessel having problems, in this weather it all could go wrong very quickly. Here's hoping it a faulty beacon or one thats come free due to the weather !

Jeid
08-Nov-07, 15:30
I'm in Glasgow the now, it's bright but pretty windy.

floyed
08-Nov-07, 16:00
:lol: I just noticed in this thread how many orgers are not going outside to brave the weather and are online! Little wonder! Oh well, must walk to the bank now, may as well say farewell to you all in case I get blowen away!

I'm just of to pick the bairn up from school, i'm walking there and back not looking forward to it:D

justine
08-Nov-07, 16:05
In agreement here.Dont want to have to go outside but unfortunately we have had to retrieve our kids 13ft trampoline which has wiped out our fence and landed up in a garden 4 blocks up.What a nightmare...

ett23
08-Nov-07, 16:06
[quote=bekisman;294038]Piers Corbyn tells us we were in for a storm (that was today) and that the next one - worst in a decade - will be 24th November. BUT this will leave us alone up here and hit the south; phew!

I sincerely hope the next storm doesn't hit us on the 24th of November - we're going to Orkney that weekend!!! At least we've not booked our seats on the ferry yet!! :lol:

mccaugm
08-Nov-07, 16:09
[quote=Julia;293991]While I was at the cash machine at Tesco a solar panel crashed to the ground behind me, to say I got a gluff was an understatement :eek:,

Sorry but whats a "gluff"?:confused

floyed
08-Nov-07, 17:06
[quote=Julia;293991]While I was at the cash machine at Tesco a solar panel crashed to the ground behind me, to say I got a gluff was an understatement :eek:,

Sorry but whats a "gluff"?

gluff means got a fright, made her jump:D

nicky13
08-Nov-07, 17:24
thought the schools would have been closed in wick today.poor kids.sure is wild out there.:confused

~~Tides~~
08-Nov-07, 17:39
My birdbath took off this morning and broke in half :(.

Think that's band,

I'm just back from Canisbay, where the hall-sized garage adjacent to a house where our band practice, has collapsed, with all our equipment inside. Disaster.

bluelady
08-Nov-07, 17:40
rain pelted so hard on my window pain and for so long, it came in through the wood and flooded ma window sill :(

Phoenix200416
08-Nov-07, 17:48
In agreement here.Dont want to have to go outside but unfortunately we have had to retrieve our kids 13ft trampoline which has wiped out our fence and landed up in a garden 4 blocks up.What a nightmare...

I saw a trampoline going down Ackergill Crescent earlier. What a nightmare this wind is! I was going to walk up to Tesco's but I decided against that! Wheelie bins flying left, right and center. I haven't hurt of anyone being hurt, but there are a few close calls! I nearly got beheaded by a roof tile earlier. If I hadn't bent down to pet my poor dog It would have hit me. I called that walk short! Milo (my dog) had a fleecy coat and a a waterproof coat with more fleece over the top, but he was still shivering like made and he doesn't normally feel the cold to badly!

Glad my rabbit isn't outside in her hutch! Praise my laziness in getting her one and keeping her in her indoor cage :lol: Straight after the fireworks I don't think she could have coped!

mr do dar
08-Nov-07, 18:18
when to town shopping today . got half done and couldnt do with the wind so we cut the trip short . we came home to find the shed flat packed in the garden and all my tools swimming in water . good day really . :(

catnip
08-Nov-07, 20:08
Do far so good, no damage yet! except for rain comming in our top landing window through the facings.
I did venture out for five mins today and soon went back home.
At least we still have power in Wick.

connieb19
08-Nov-07, 20:10
Not much damage here, just a wet lobby carpet and a missing wheelie bin. :eek:

divanp75
08-Nov-07, 20:14
We lost a few tiles this morning but other wise still intact. The wind has started peeling the pebble dash off the garage though, but again that was this morning.

So much for the weather man saying it would carm down a bit after 3pm.

Diane

Anne x
08-Nov-07, 20:16
Its Snowing now here and very cold wind still very high

bobbyjoeufb
08-Nov-07, 20:50
Dam Weather!!

I had just replaced the broken fencing panels a couple of months ago and out of five panels I have one still standing the rest have been reduced to fire wood.

My dad came around as I was at work, had to prise two of the broken panels off my french doors in case they broke the glass. He had to put his foot on the wall and pull hard to free them due to the wind force pressing on them.

At work we had loads of stuff flying about, and bits of roofing blowing off. Was not allowed to walk anywhere on site had to ring up for lifts.

sam
08-Nov-07, 21:01
I have some damage but i'm not going to complain as there are those worse of than me.
The folks in Orkney have bad weather and no power atleast we have power so far anyway.

Valerie Campbell
08-Nov-07, 21:07
It was gusty here today but nothing like what you've had to contend with. At one point I did think the conservatory roof was about to fly off but it's still hanging on thankfully.

Tighsonas4
08-Nov-07, 21:19
wind has eased a little very little but there is white stuff on the
road. the cars are tracking off though tony

changilass
08-Nov-07, 21:23
Just let the dog out, when he went out the door he was a rather nice big BLACK newfie, what came back in the door looks more like a polar bear :lol:

rhino
08-Nov-07, 22:23
did you make it home safe neeps?

neepnipper
08-Nov-07, 22:49
Yes thanks! Wasn't let off early!! Blizzard coming in to Auckengill at 6.20pm, not good driving in the dark with the wind pushing you all over the place plus hailstones, rain and snow!

highlander
08-Nov-07, 22:51
Oh well day started off badly, cab of the digger came flying off leaving poor hubby exposed to the gales while he was feeding the cattle, then battons along with part of the roof came flying off, LOOK OUT orkney its heading your way. Went to get the coal pail and was impailed to the wall lol. Not even going to pop my head out the door, its sounding real mean out there!!

Riffman
09-Nov-07, 01:38
I was in thurso today, saw the lidls sign is gone, whats left looks pretty battered! The waves were breaking over the head with spray going several hundred feet in the air, incredible to see!

I see tescos have lost a windy turbine too now, and roof bits.....

I don't know what state my slate roof will be in tomorrow, I have water coming in over my bedroom now :(

alanatkie
09-Nov-07, 02:26
Sad to hear about all the distruction but as long as you are all safe that is the main thing.

Munro
09-Nov-07, 10:11
We were in Lybster in September and I got talking to one of the fishermen
at the harbour, he was saying in the right conditions the sea rises above level of the quay and endangers the boats, wondered if that happened yesterday.
Down here we just had light rain late afternoon and evening and breeze.

SandTiger
09-Nov-07, 11:48
We were in Lybster in September and I got talking to one of the fishermen
at the harbour, he was saying in the right conditions the sea rises above level of the quay and endangers the boats, wondered if that happened yesterday.
Down here we just had light rain late afternoon and evening and breeze.

Fortunately we weren't on big tides. However, back in January 2005 Scrabster Harbour was flooded by a tidal surge. If you scroll to the bottom of this page you'll see some photos - http://www.caithness.org/fpb/january2005/index.htm

sharon
09-Nov-07, 22:16
just realized that one of our trees has blown down and is in our neighbours garden!! one job to tackle this weekend retrieving our tree.......... will do nicely for the fire!!! [lol]