08-Nov-07, 08:33
Thurso High is closed today

gollach
08-Nov-07, 08:48
Confirmed on the Highland closure website

http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/

Mr P Cannop
08-Nov-07, 08:48
any other schools closed in the Caithness area ??

Ash
08-Nov-07, 08:56
anyone know about nurseries?

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 09:04
Listen to MFR they normally get it first

Ash
08-Nov-07, 09:06
hey i am at the moment, dont think im going to put her, we dont have a car, its a fair walk to the nursery, its freezing!

EWOK
08-Nov-07, 09:13
anybody know about the reay primary school

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 09:28
anyone know about nurseries?

Usually if the nursery is attached to a school and the school closes then the nursery closes as well.

Ash
08-Nov-07, 09:29
the nursery aint attached to a school, but like i said she not going now, its awful out there

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 09:33
the nursery aint attached to a school, but like i said she not going now, its awful out there

Well that is it Ash. Regardless if a school is open, at the end of the day it is upto the parents to decide if it is safe enough to put their children to school/nursery.

Ash
08-Nov-07, 09:34
i know, im scared she'll get blown away!

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 09:39
it is absolutely the parents choice and my rule of thumb is if it's not fit for the dog to go out in no way would I put a small child out in it.

henry20
08-Nov-07, 09:42
Is the weather a lot worse than a decade ago? (oh that makes me feel old!) I don't remember school ever closing due to it being too windy! Or have regulations been tightened?

Just curious - and wishing I'd had more days off school ;)

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 09:47
Is the weather a lot worse than a decade ago? (oh that makes me feel old!) I don't remember school ever closing due to it being too windy! Or have regulations been tightened?

Just curious - and wishing I'd had more days off school ;)

I seem to remember it being that the high school stayed open for town pupils but country pupils got the days off. Now they close it to everyone.

issy34
08-Nov-07, 09:47
[
yea canisbay primary is closed

Ash
08-Nov-07, 09:50
I seem to remember it being that the high school stayed open for town pupils but country pupils got the days off. Now they close it to everyone.

so they should, when i was in high school because i lived in town we had to go, why should we, its freezing, hardly any pupils

Bobinovich
08-Nov-07, 09:54
Well we've decided not to put our two to Miller. We put the eldest out for a test and he got blown about like a rag doll. Phoned the school to let them know and they didn't seem surprised at all.

It might be different for the bigger kids but ours are featherweights!

...plus it's forecasted to get worse - I might be rearranging some apoointments myself at this rate :(

Ash
08-Nov-07, 09:56
my sister hasnt put her wee one he in P1 and she said noway! lol

young
08-Nov-07, 09:57
Hi i am not putting my son into miller today also i phoned the highland council line and the message says that miller is open but if you wish to keep your children at home they understand

Moonboots
08-Nov-07, 09:59
Wots wrong with Parents and schools nowadays.

They are protecting their kids too much.. No wonder the kids nowadays are being bullied etc etc. Let them go to school and toughen up with the wind.

I was at school even when you couldnt walk in the blizzards and it never hurt me or did it hurt any of the other kids..

Its only abit of rain and wind...

By the way my kids are at school.

This is only my opinion tho :-)

Bobinovich
08-Nov-07, 10:01
That's Bower, Canisbay and Crossroads Primaries shut now

Ash
08-Nov-07, 10:01
whats that number. the highland council line?

henry20
08-Nov-07, 10:03

I thought that was when it was heavy snow and there was a risk of country kids being stuck in town, rather than high winds. I had to walk a couple of miles from my bus stop to home and remember being blown most of the way there, or battling against the wind if the wind was in the wrong direction. (and I was no featherweight - thankfully, or I may have ended up in Orkney ;))

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 10:03

but you require the pin number for the school.

Here is the link to the school closure for caithness.

http://www.schoolclosures.highlandschools.org.uk/closures.asp?areaid=1

young
08-Nov-07, 10:05

the highland council line is 0870 054 6999 and from there you have to enter the schools pin number and you get a message service to hear if the school is closed /open

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 10:05
I thought that was when it was heavy snow and there was a risk of country kids being stuck in town, rather than high winds. I had to walk a couple of miles from my bus stop to home and remember being blown most of the way there, or battling against the wind if the wind was in the wrong direction. (and I was no featherweight - thankfully, or I may have ended up in Orkney ;))

If there is high winds then the buses won't run incase the topple over.

issy34
08-Nov-07, 10:17
[does anyone know if the collage is open

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 10:20
does anyone know if the collage is open

I'm up here just now, issy so it seems so! Sorry! :( Wish I could say it's not!

alanatkie
08-Nov-07, 10:21
[does anyone know if the collage is open
no mention of them closed on mfr but call them on 01847 889000

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 10:30
Well I just tried to drive my kids down to school. got to the car park stopped the car was moving side to side.. i decided that my kids are not going into day it is far to windy and with the forecast due to get worse, i cannot believe they are keeping that school open.

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 10:34
Well I just tried to drive my kids down to school. got to the car park stopped the car was moving side to side.. i decided that my kids are not going into day it is far to windy and with the forecast due to get worse, i cannot believe they are keeping that school open.

I agree! It's definitely bad enough to worry about children's safety at school on days like this. Especially with all the work going on in the Extension building, etc. It will be interesting to find out how many absences there are from THS today!

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 10:36
I agree! It's definitely bad enough to worry about children's safety at school on days like this. Especially with all the work going on in the Extension building, etc. It will be interesting to find out how many absences there are from THS today!

thurso high school is closed today.

Cattach
08-Nov-07, 10:38
Hi i am not putting my son into miller today also i phoned the highland council line and the message says that miller is open but if you wish to keep your children at home they understand

Bet some of those pupils not in school will be out and about - some on their own!! Greater danger outside than inside a Miller academy classroom.

lazytown
08-Nov-07, 10:41
Bet some of those pupils not in school will be out and about - some on their own!! Greater danger outside than inside a Miller academy classroom.

Well I never put mine into school today..and they will certainly not be leaving the house.

NickInTheNorth
08-Nov-07, 10:41
It will be interesting to find out how many absences there are from THS today!

Given that the school is closed I'm guessing somewhere around the 100% level :D

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 10:42
thurso high school is closed today.

Oh yes, thanks! I'm getting so confused - close everything, we should all stay in bed today! :lol:

richman
we didna get a day off for a wee galie in my day , kids these days eh?

good day off for the teachers tho ? ;)

mccaugm
Halkirk Primary shut to country pupils

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 10:44
Given that the school is closed I'm guessing somewhere around the 100% level :D

Ok smartie! :Razz I'm going back to my nest now!

young
08-Nov-07, 10:53

Well my son will definately not be outside today either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

changilass
08-Nov-07, 10:58
Well the Castletown kids are at school, must be made of stronger stuff :lol:, having said that I keep expecting a phone call, our wee one burst out crying when it wa suggested he not go to school today poor wee thing so we took him

bobsgirl
08-Nov-07, 10:59
I will certainly not be taking the kids out today.
I dont understand this "send your kids out to toughen them up" thing at all.
I would rather their safety than "toughen them up"!!

alanatkie
08-Nov-07, 11:02
Well from experience Castletown is always last to close :roll:
Hubby refused to put the kids to school today & they definetly won't be going out.

bobandag16
08-Nov-07, 11:08
Thurso High is closed today
the senior school for old folk is also closed. no dinners for them or play.

richman
08-Nov-07, 11:11
the senior school for old folk is also closed. no dinners for them or play.senior school for old folk ???

Venture
08-Nov-07, 11:21
The weather here at the moment just outside Wick is horrendous. The cars on the main Wick to Thurso road are crawling because of the strength of the wind. I for one cant understand why the Wick schools are not closed. The weather is supposed to get worse as the day goes on when the wind turns to the north. Gusts of 90 mph are expected within the next few hours. How can you expect kids to walk home in this. debris is flying about all over the place. Have also heard that the Hydro Board have pulled in all staff on leave as power cuts might be in the offing.

issy34
so whats senior school for old folk ???

bobandag16
Oh yes, thanks! I'm getting so confused - close everything, we should all stay in bed today! :lol:
yes .i tried to stay in bed .but my carer said i was better up .closing daycare was no excuse.

bobandag16
08-Nov-07, 11:28
so whats senior school for old folk ???
daycare centre bayview house. lovely staff. this includes the kitchen.

angela5
08-Nov-07, 12:01
Wots wrong with Parents and schools nowadays.

They are protecting their kids too much.. No wonder the kids nowadays are being bullied etc etc. Let them go to school and toughen up with the wind.

I was at school even when you couldnt walk in the blizzards and it never hurt me or did it hurt any of the other kids..

Its only abit of rain and wind...

By the way my kids are at school.

This is only my opinion tho :-)

A bit of wind and rain never hurt anyone, but this morning it's blowing a gale.
My friend was walking her daughter to school this morning, pushing her 8 month old daughter in the pram. The pram blow onto the road with a gust of wind resulting in the baby recieving a bleeding nose. Suppose that'll set her up to be tougher in life!:roll:

lynne duncan
08-Nov-07, 12:09
contemplating keeping my 2 home at lunchtime, don't mind the wind but it's what gets blown about, got to pick liitle one up from nursery first, will see how bad that is and decide at lunchtime for the other 2

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 12:20
I kept my two off from Miller today too as did my neighbours with her two . I went out the house today and i was blown over so a small child would be too . as for saftey i have tiles falling of my roof there is debris coming of my neighbours roofs aswell as ridge tiles, if anything hit one of the children they would be dead or seriously injured so i'm not allowing mine out of the house today.

i see someone on here said a buggy got blown over , i hope the child is ok and the mother is not too upset , from an experience i had many years ago with my eldest i would never take a child out in a pram in this kind of weather again .

angela5
08-Nov-07, 12:32
i see someone on here said a buggy got blown over , i hope the child is ok and the mother is not too upset , but from an experience i had many years ago with my eldest i would never take a child out in a pram in this kind of weather again .

She is deeply regretting going out with the pram. Baby is ok, more shock than anything. Some kind gentleman stopped his car and helped and took her home.

mums angels
08-Nov-07, 12:46
She is deeply regretting going out with the pram. Baby is ok, more shock than anything. Some kind gentleman stopped his car and helped and took her home.

well wish her the best and hope she doesn't feel too bad , easy mistake to make as i know , i thought the pram and child would be heavy enough to withstand the wind but think it caught under the raincover and acted like a sail .

Welcomefamily
08-Nov-07, 13:05
No all of mine home, its fairly rough along Castlegreen Rd area, its like a wind funnel there. I would never have a problem sending them to school in snow etc but this wind quite extreme. I believe stats will show these winds are fairly modern thing? Its taken the roof off my shed, and the signs at Lidls have been blown out.

Julia
08-Nov-07, 13:46
I don't understand why some parents don't let their children go to school on a day like this (if they have transport that is), it's not a hurricane or a tornado it's just the usual Caithness gales we get every year. No point in missing a day at school just because it's windy outside, they will be quite safe!

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:48
You must have missed brandy's post on another thread about being called to go get her son from nursery as the roof has blown off.

miss swanson
08-Nov-07, 13:49
i dont understand why the thurso high school is closed but yet us students at the thurso college still have to go :mad:

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:51
I imagine it is because of all the building materials around the extension that would be hazardous in these winds.

Solus
08-Nov-07, 13:51
The thing is though, schools are responsible for you kids well being whilst in the school and the grounds, so any flying slates etc that hit a kid and the school is liable. Its the world we live in today, every one covers themselves so there can be no comeback.

Bung yer kids in the shed and tell them to hold on to the roof no matter what, there's a good lad. :lol:

young
08-Nov-07, 13:53
yes why is it that the High school always seem to shut in windy conditions but the primary schools never. Surely if they think it is not safe for high school kids to go in 12 years+ why do they think its safe for primary children 5years +:confused

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:55
The extension is surrounded by scaffolding and building materials, in these winds any of it could take off.

floyed
08-Nov-07, 13:59
My son is at school today and we walked this morning, he loved it, me holding on to him as he flew threw the air (well sort of) and he was delighted with all the leafs flying about:D.
But i do understand parents that don't want to put there bairns to school and it is up to them to decide if they think its safe or not.
I'm just worried now that it is suppose to be getting worse, i have to walk and pick him up and then we have to walk home again i don't fancy it.

accossie
08-Nov-07, 14:02
Weather is bad but it is up to the parents to decide whether their children should be at school.

The high schools tend to shut because many of their teachers do not reside in the town and the bus company will stop the school runs early if the roads are hazardous

miss swanson
08-Nov-07, 14:03
the college has faults aswell the canteen has a wall thats holed it has wind and rain cumin through the hole its taped off the the entry for gettin in bside the canteen is also shut doors wont open all the rooms r pretty cold aswell

gollach
08-Nov-07, 14:55
The extension is surrounded by scaffolding and building materials, in these winds any of it could take off.

It has. There is stuff blowing everywhere up at the top of the hill!

nikki
08-Nov-07, 14:58
Im at the college and our room is actually quite warm, we're in the main building, I wouldnt fancy being out in the huts though. Kinda worried bout tryin to get home too.

miss swanson
08-Nov-07, 15:06
i think its rediculous theres even people bein sent home from work y cant we just go home did u see the canteen?

nikki
08-Nov-07, 15:13
yea it looks horrendous, earlier one of the canteen staff was having to clean up all the water thats comin in, was speaking to a mate who was out in the huts and she said the walls were shaking with the wind.

nikki
08-Nov-07, 15:48
and looked outside into the little contained garden bit just now, theres little bits of snow around the edges. Xmas come early, but not in the good way.
The canteen roof looks like its about to lift too, if you look down on it from the stairs in the main building.

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 15:52
The canteen roof looks like its about to lift too

Oh dear, that can't be good :confused

Ash
08-Nov-07, 16:16
wohoo its snowing a little bit

im such a kid :lol:

cuddlepop
08-Nov-07, 16:33
Our poor wee dog was trying to make it back in the door this morning when the hail started.
It was actually quiet funny to watch as she didn't make it and headed in the hedge.
The older wiser dog was in long before the first ping landed.:lol:

Really cold over here now and showers more hail than snow.

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 16:46

We've all got a little bit of that in us hehe you're just the first one to admit it, Ash! :lol:

bobsgirl
08-Nov-07, 16:52

I am sure I was acting the same way as you when I saw this Ash, hubby must have thought I was going mad.......lol!

I love it when it snows! hehe!

floyed
08-Nov-07, 17:03
I have to agree with you all on this one, i love the snow to! Christmas is my favourite time of the year i'm getting all excited thinking about it :D:D

grandma
08-Nov-07, 17:09
I just love walking in the wind especially with a wee bit of hail in it. Kids used to love it too when they were little. Used to have great fun racing with thier coats up above their backs like sails. Think the reason the High Schools go home before primary schools is for that very reason - they are HIGHER off the ground and more likely to catch the wind !!!! :lol:

young_fishin_neep
08-Nov-07, 17:10
well i know the college is open but i wasnt leaving the house,i was quite glad my mum aproved as the bus wouldnt have come as the high schools closed and i get the school bus, i have a long walk to my bus stop very windy down hill muddy walk, so would have most likely ended up on my bum by the time i got there and i would have had to have walked back.

by the sounds of whats going on in the college its another reason to be glad im not there, mind you i would have been just leaving now if i was there

we had a power cut aswell, was not happy! no org lol

kaz xxxxx