PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best Scottish female vocalist?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Nov-07, 23:39
Who would ye all say was yer most favourite Scottish female vocalist of all time?

corgiman
07-Nov-07, 23:42
Annie lennox

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Nov-07, 00:51
I'm not long enough in the tooth to come to any sort of credible conclusion, but I do like Barbara Dickson. As far as modern singers are concerned, though, Tain's very own Olivia Ross is my favourite. Spell-binding, emotional, angelic.

Anne x
08-Nov-07, 00:58
Annie Lennox streets ahead of the others

Sporran
08-Nov-07, 05:24
Annie Lennox and Barbara Dickson are faves of mine too, as well as Sheena Easton.

Jeemag_USA
08-Nov-07, 13:34
ANNIE LENNOX

there is no competition although there are some greats, she is up there in god-like stratum, untouchable! Just listening to her talking is great for me :P

I also like Eddie Reader and Charlene Spitteri is very classy.

Sporran
08-Nov-07, 20:40
ANNIE LENNOX

there is no competition although there are some greats, she is up there in god-like stratum, untouchable! Just listening to her talking is great for me :P

I also like Eddie Reader and Charlene Spitteri is very classy.

OK, I admit that Annie Lennox is my favourite one of all too! I adore her "Diva" and "Medusa" albums, as well as her music videos, both as a solo artist and as part of the Eurythmics. I enjoy listening to her talk also, and I'm proud that she hails from Aberdeen, where some of my grandparents came from.

I can't believe I failed to mention Eddi Reader and Sharleen Spiteri last night, but it was late and I was tired! Sharleen (of the band Texas) just turned 40 yesterday, as it so happens!

Happy Birthday also to Lulu, another of our Scottish gems, who turned 59 on November 3rd. And she still looks and sounds great! :cool:

davem
08-Nov-07, 21:53
Annie Lennox - saw her with Eddie Reader as a backing singer. Outstanding

loganbiffy
08-Nov-07, 23:26
Iquite enjoy Shirley Manson, she is pretty cool.

Anne x
09-Nov-07, 00:25
whoes that ?

alanatkie
09-Nov-07, 01:00
whoes that ?

She is lead vocalist of the band Garbage

Jeemag_USA
09-Nov-07, 01:09
Agreed Shirley Manson is a good singer, she doesn't have much range though, but does what she does very well, I was a big fan of Garbage.

loganbiffy
09-Nov-07, 08:52
Agreed Shirley Manson is a good singer, she doesn't have much range though, but does what she does very well, I was a big fan of Garbage.

Yeh not a massive range but a huge range does't make you a good singer.

She had balls and tons of attitude, well wicked.

WeeRob
09-Nov-07, 12:38
Lulu!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob murray
09-Nov-07, 13:55
Lulu!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye, Lulu has soul stuff she did on atlantic being re released. Back then she was very highly rated as a soul singer, so definitely a contender my man !

Cedric Farthsbottom III
14-Nov-07, 19:48
Ma music listenin changes from band to song aw the time.Ma favourite the now is Liz Fraser fae the Cocteau Twins,amazing voice.Recently found out she did the vocals for Massive Attacks"Teardrops"...rare.No bad for a lassie fae Grangemouth.I think she's kept it real,just enjoying her music and no being too commercial.

theone
15-Nov-07, 01:11
Eddi Reader?

Jeemag_USA
15-Nov-07, 02:31
Yeh not a massive range but a huge range does't make you a good singer.

She had balls and tons of attitude, well wicked.

And "Stupid Girl" is one of the best bass lines ever, I still play it to warm up ;)

cullbucket
15-Nov-07, 06:37
Agree with Liz Cocteau

Cliff Claven
15-Nov-07, 14:42
Has to be Karen Matheson, in a league of her own.

wifie
15-Nov-07, 16:30
Annie Lennox! Barbara Dickson!

Blast!
16-Nov-07, 01:27
Tracyanne Campbell of Camera Obscura fame has a lovely voice.

Metalattakk
16-Nov-07, 04:41
Philistines, the lot o' ye's. :roll:

Maggie Bell.

Surprised at you Pepsi for not mentioning her. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Nov-07, 12:06
[QUOTE

Maggie Bell.

Surprised at you Pepsi for not mentioning her. ;)[/QUOTE]

:( I know, I know, am sorry. Who can forget No Mean City?

DOC ROCK
16-Nov-07, 18:51
Aneka, "Mary Sandeman" Japanese boy pure class...

Boozeburglar
17-Nov-07, 03:21
Liz Fraser is, I feel, destined to be the Nico of her generation. A left field voice working outside the pop idiom, yet encapsulating the Indie vibe in such a convincing manner that she sits at the crest of the Indie wave, and becomes pure pop in so many ways.

Sure, Annie Lennox has a great voice, but you don't do greatness without a real edge, and her strained soul pretentions are a blunt instrument.

Liz Fraser, the Alex Harvey of Scottish female vocal output.

;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
17-Nov-07, 23:10
Liz Fraser is, I feel, destined to be the Nico of her generation. A left field voice working outside the pop idiom, yet encapsulating the Indie vibe in such a convincing manner that she sits at the crest of the Indie wave, and becomes pure pop in so many ways.

Sure, Annie Lennox has a great voice, but you don't do greatness without a real edge, and her strained soul pretentions are a blunt instrument.

Liz Fraser, the Alex Harvey of Scottish female vocal output.

;)

Exactly.Why do musicians get rated by their millions and not their skills.

Boozeburglar
24-Nov-07, 18:50
They never have been by me.

Culture Club outsold The Smiths, say no more!

;)

octane
08-Jan-08, 12:06
Well im gonna go for Horse McDonald, she may not have made the total big time like these so-called other female artists but shes still a star to me.