PDA

View Full Version : Kennels

toodiemac
28-Aug-05, 21:45
Anybody out there had a good experience with Longreen Kennels in Keiss? I've heard a few not so good things about it and am just looking for some reassurance.
Thanks

jac1791
29-Aug-05, 09:46
hi -- i put my dalmation to Raymond out at longreen at start of augusts, he was great! looked great when i picked him up - he was there for 2 weeks. i'll be putting his back next time i go away

unicorn
29-Aug-05, 19:55
I had to carry my dog out of there :( Sorry to put a downer on it for you but unless things have changed in the last few years I would personally never ever put my animal there. I also had them reported to the SSPCA who investigated them and I still have pictures of my dog after her stay. It was awful.

toodiemac
29-Aug-05, 21:44
That sounds terrible! What happened to your dog in there? What did the SSPCA do about it? My dog is really petted, just another member of the family and I would hate for it to be distressed. PM me if you would rather not post on here, but I am really keen to find out before I book. Thanks.

daviddd
29-Aug-05, 22:11
I took my cat to Longreen many years ago and she was fine, I was quite impressed with the level of care - heated houses, even Xmas decorations and carols playing! :roll:

We use a more convenient boarding kennels in s. Caithness, but I wasn't too impressed with the state of our dog on our return from holiday recently - dirty, smelly, thin, and he had a sore on his lip. Trouble is there's really nowhere else unless we take him down to Inverness, may have to do that next time. If only we knew someone who would look after him that we can trust.

Geo
29-Aug-05, 22:37
There's also Ramscraigs Boarding Kennels in Dunbeath. I was thinking of trying them out next time.

http://www.caithnessindex.co.uk/ramscraigs/boarding_kennels.htm A lot of the images aren't working just now.

Biker
29-Aug-05, 23:45
I used to use Keiss for my dog but frankly was never too happy with them. I used them several times and very rarely saw the same person twice. I turned up ealry one morning to collect my dog and an hour later someone appeared to look after the kennels as the owner was away!

I now use Ramscraigs at Dunbeath and am very happy. The kennels are always clean, there is a secure run for the dogs in good weather, Graeme was happy to show me around and has always been very helpful when we book our dog in at short notice.

You do however need to book well in advance as he is very popular and regularly fully booked.

unicorn
30-Aug-05, 10:45
I have scanned pics onto pc but how do I attach them????

Tristan
30-Aug-05, 12:39
I have used Longreen once, and never again. It was only for two days, and I have no idea what happened there, but my dog *cried* all the way home, then went straight for her water dish and drank like she hadn't had any water the entire time.

It's not like she's not used to kennels - we use the one outside of Dornoch, which is run by a young Australian couple, and it's brilliant. My dog has stayed there for weeks and is happy as anything when she gets out, not bothered at all. They have long walkies, heated stalls, everything is clean. If your dog doesn't like other dogs (and some don't) they have a separate area so that the shy ones can keep to themselves. They kennel (if that's the right word) cats as well. The only problem is that they are so busy you have to book ahead, which is where we got caught the time we used Longreen.

unicorn
30-Aug-05, 12:57
Mine also drank like an animal that had never ever seen water before when she got home.

toodiemac
30-Aug-05, 22:01
My dog always drinks water like mad after a stay in any kennels (for some reason).

Hmmmmm, don't know what to do now because all the other kennels are fully booked. I'll maybe have to look at something further south.

honestjohn
30-Aug-05, 22:15
We took our cat to Longreen a few years back. Sent the cat with his favourite food aswell. When we went to collect him it was awful. The runs for the cats were just an oblong box about 6 feet long with a hatch on so the cat could go out into the other part which had chicken wire. They never even gave the poor cat his favourite food either. Poor thing ate like he'd never eaten before.
Then we found out about Zoe's cattery in Mey. It was that good when we left the cat there for a week or so and went to collect him he didn't want to come home! Now that's what I call excellent.

Gizmo
30-Aug-05, 23:22
Zoe's Cattery is excellent, i cannot recomend it highly enough, she's a real cat lover and takes fantastic care of any animal put there.

Joey
31-Aug-05, 13:39
My brother has used Ramscraigs and is very happy withthen, however his neighbour used another kennels in the county and he wasn't impressed in the least.

badger
31-Aug-05, 19:24
For what it's worth, I don't have a dog but know people who haven't been happy with Keiss and know a lot of people who regularly use Dunbeath. Sorry that's not much help if they're fully booked but maybe that's why.

Sandra
31-Aug-05, 19:33
I've only ever used Ramscraig in Dunbeath and would highly recommend them.