PDA

View Full Version : Emergency NHS Dental Rant

Tristan
07-Nov-07, 20:57
My son went o Uni this year and in typical teenager fashion had not registered for a dentist yet.
Being the sort that he is he donated blood on Tuesday. An hour after leaving the clinic he fainted breaking his two front teeth (half of one down to the pulp and a quarter of the other)
Trying to sort things for him from a distance I contact NHS24 who contacted him and directed him to the University clinic.
By this time there were no dentists in so he was told to come back in the morning.
He arrived at 9 to be told because he had not registered there wouldn't treat him but he could call another number after 6pm to arrange emergency treatment.
He called that number to be told the clinic in his area is closed tonight (Wednesday) but he can go tomorrow.
2 broken teeth - 2 days - no treatment - PATHETIC!!!!!!

mr do dar
07-Nov-07, 21:22
thats when we pay tax and national insurance . to get service like that . whats this county coming too .

percy toboggan
07-Nov-07, 21:44
What a shame such a generous act should have such unfortunate and unforseen consequences. I hope he is okay , and in the medium term someone can sort out his smile for him.

telfordstar
07-Nov-07, 21:54
now that is a shame on your son especially after doing such a good deed by donating blood before it happened. hope he isnt in to much pain and hope when he does get seen he gets on ok.

Tristan
07-Nov-07, 22:01
The painkillers help but he can't eat much because his tooth is VERY temperature sensitive. I think he is as frustrated as I am but he is keeping his spirits up.
I received an email from him saying "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"...;)

xx_chickie
08-Nov-07, 10:13
I received an email from him saying "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth"...;)

Aww at least he can laugh about it :) Hope he's feeling better soon!

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 18:10
I hope he is better soon too, but not yet.

He went to the local clinic this morning and was told we can't take you.

A friend's mother then drove him the 20 miles to the alternative clinic who didn't want to see him because he was not in enough pain.
After some discussion he now has an appointment for tomorrow morning (another 40 mile round trip).
Keep in mind this is not to crown the teeth, all he is trying to do at the moment is get a temporary filling so he can eat and carry on with his studies.
Something is very wrong with the system![evil]

Metalattakk
08-Nov-07, 19:07
Something is very wrong with the system![evil]

But he wasn't even part of the system.

Now if he'd registered with a dentist in the first place, all this would have been avoided.

NickInTheNorth
08-Nov-07, 19:14

Now if he'd registered with a dentist in the first place, all this would have been avoided.

Have you tried to register with an NHS dentist recently?

Metalattakk
08-Nov-07, 19:19
Have you tried to register with an NHS dentist recently?

What has that got to do with things? There was no mention of not being able to register for an NHS dentist. In fact it was implied that typical student laziness was the root (:D) cause.

My son went o Uni this year and in typical teenager fashion had not registered for a dentist yet.

angela5
08-Nov-07, 19:43
I'm not registered with a dentist and if i broke a tooth by either falling or chewing on toffee, then that's my own fault for being to lazy to phone and add my name to the waiting list.
I wouldn't expect a dentist to see me straight away, i'd have to sit it out and let those that are in pain come first.

Jeemag_USA
08-Nov-07, 20:00
Very sorry to hear that Tristan, especially after he was going out of his way to help the NHS by giving his blood. Everyone in the UK that pays taxes and national insurance should be entitled to emergency treatment any time of the day, registered or unregistered. Shocking.

Thumper
08-Nov-07, 20:05
I think the whole point is you shouldn't have to wait when it's an emergency,whether you are registered or not!You wouldn't have to wait in A&E for 3 days if you fell and were in pain so why should you have to wait for a dentist?x

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 20:12

He is registered just not with a local dentist. So he is part of the system and he should be able to get treatment. When I called NHS 24 they tried to get him treatment but he keeps falling through the cracks because he is not in enough pain etc. In addition I have spoken to my dentist and he was shocked that he has been unable to get emergency treatment because it should be provided.

It seems in your world you think it is OK to deny someone emergency treatment if they have major dental trauma while away from their local dentist. If you think that is how things should be run I am sure we can find some prisons or workhouses that you can support.

angela5
08-Nov-07, 20:16
He is registered just not with a local dentist. So he is part of the system and he should be able to get treatment. When I called NHS 24 they tried to get him treatment but he keeps falling through the cracks because he is not in enough pain etc.

That is different then if he is already on the system.
Well in order to get the treatment he needs then he should say he is in agony and can't sleep, that might get him seen.

SandTiger
08-Nov-07, 20:37
Very sorry to hear that Tristan, especially after he was going out of his way to help the NHS by giving his blood. Everyone in the UK that pays taxes and national insurance should be entitled to emergency treatment any time of the day, registered or unregistered. Shocking.

God help the unemployed then :confused

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 20:40
That is different then if he is already on the system.
Well in order to get the treatment he needs then he should say he is in agony and can't sleep, that might get him seen.

Whether he is registered or not it should not make a difference. An A&E dentist should be available to see him.
From the NHS site
True dental emergencies will be referred to the local Accident & Emergency unit for care. True dental emergencies are conditions including:

* Facial or dental trauma.
* Oral or facial swelling that is significant and worsening.
* Post-extraction bleeding that the patient is not able to control with local pressure.
* Dental infection causing acute illness or raised temperature.
and that is for registered and non registered patients.

Metalattakk
08-Nov-07, 21:20
It seems in your world you think it is OK to deny someone emergency treatment if they have major dental trauma while away from their local dentist. If you think that is how things should be run I am sure we can find some prisons or workhouses that you can support.

Nonsense. Utter nonsense. Where did I say it's OK to deny anyone anything?

If he'd registered with a local dentist, none of this would have been an issue.

All I am saying is that there's no point whining about it on the internet....unless you are simply looking for sympathy.

Jeemag_USA
08-Nov-07, 21:26
God help the unemployed then :confused

When you are on unemployment your stamp is still paid, you still get national insurance, and that goes for supplementary or social or whatever they call it now, makes no difference, everyone should be entitled to emergency treatment.

SandTiger
08-Nov-07, 21:33
When you are on unemployment your stamp is still paid, you still get national insurance, and that goes for supplementary or social or whatever they call it now, makes no difference, everyone should be entitled to emergency treatment.

Whatever. I'll bow to your enlightenment. But would you like to come over here and sign on for dental care? Which is the point that everyone is making on this side of the pond?

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 21:38
Nonsense. Utter nonsense. Where did I say it's OK to deny anyone anything?

You seem to think it is OK that he can't get emergency treatment. As I said before I am sure there are some prisons or workhouses that could use your support

If he'd registered with a local dentist, none of this would have been an issue.

I pointed out at the beginning that he should have. However, emergency treatment should be available whether or not he is registered. In some ways it is no different than if he was at the other end of the country on holiday and broke a tooth. In addition if he is registered there what happens when he comes home? Or are you trying to say we should register each time we are more than a couple of hours away from our dentist?

All I am saying is that there's no point whining about it on the internet....unless you are simply looking for sympathy.

What you were saying was

If you think complaining that someone can't get emergency treatment that is supposed to delivered though the NHS is whining then I guess I am. At least I am passing comment on the state of our NHS.

I think the whole point is you shouldn't have to wait when it's an emergency,whether you are registered or not!You wouldn't have to wait in A&E for 3 days if you fell and were in pain so why should you have to wait for a dentist?x
EXACTLY!

Jeemag_USA
08-Nov-07, 21:46
Whatever. I'll bow to your enlightenment. But would you like to come over here and sign on for dental care? Which is the point that everyone is making on this side of the pond?

I am born and bred in Thurso since 38 years and have not been away that long, and i have had my fair share of NHS dental treatment and also have paid for dental treatment in the UK, a lot at Bridgend under Dr Barry and also in the same place under their NHS dentists and also at the Dentist that used to be up beside Bews the Butcher. My point is only that if everyone wether employed or not is paying their stamp then they should get emergency treatment, or at least the next morning surely? ;)

Metalattakk
08-Nov-07, 21:46
You seem to think it is OK that he can't get emergency treatment. As I said before I am sure there are some prisons or workhouses that could use your support

Where on earth are you getting this from? I am mystified at the things people see that are simply not there.

Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 21:53
Where on earth are you getting this from? I am mystified at the things people see that are simply not there.

Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

As we both agree if if registered locally he would be fine.

I was pointing out that something was wrong with the system when he can't get emergency treatment which he is entitled too. You seem to think by not registering he is not part of the system and therefore, by implication, not entitled to treatment. Unless there was some other positive point you were trying to get across with that statement.

Metalattakk
08-Nov-07, 22:08
He can get emergency treatment - at the correct facility. What did the A&E department say when he visited them?

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 22:24
He can get emergency treatment - at the correct facility. What did the A&E department say when he visited them?

You would think but this does not seem to be ther case.

His tooth is broken to the pulp so it is very sensitive to warm and cool as well as the slightest pressure when closing his mouth. , NHS 24 put him into contact with the university dentist who he is registering with. He was sent to 2 emergency dental clinics at two different A&E. He went today to his local clinic and was told to go away. His friends mother took him on a 40 mile round trip to another A&E where he was told you don't seem to be in enough pain. At the same clinic he was told to eat without using his front teeth at all for next 3 weeks.
If it wasn't for his friend's mother being there and forcing the issue in a polite "adult" way he would not have an appointment tomorrow.
I don't want the AE to put on crowns, just to manage the teeth so he can function for the next 3 weeks and insure that there is not any damage to the roots or bone that could be treatable now but three weeks from now may result in permanent loss of the teeth.