PDA

View Full Version : Help settle a debate

Saveman
07-Nov-07, 16:00
Please tell me what style of music is Kate Bush?

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Nov-07, 16:08
I'd have to say Pop.

Jeid
07-Nov-07, 16:16
I'd have to say Pop.

What he said...

Bobinovich
07-Nov-07, 16:51
Could you not have asked an easier question like "Whats the meaning of life"?? As Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Bush#Musical_style) eloquently put it "...difficult to define the musical genre of Bush's work because there are few other artists like her."

IMO she's one artist I don't think should/can be pidgeonholed.

Deemac
07-Nov-07, 17:16
Singer / songwriter . . . . .

Pop just seems too 'vulgar' where Miss Bush is concerned.

At a push - Classic Pop!

Saveman
07-Nov-07, 18:30
I should have said help settle a debate....in my favour!:D

Folk Pop anyone? Or am I listening to a different Kate Bush? ;)

Jeemag_USA
07-Nov-07, 19:40
its a difficult one, and like you said I was leaning more towards folk, possibly creating a new genre and calling it contemporary folk rock or contemporary folk pop??

What about Glass Shattering Female Crooner :L

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Nov-07, 21:13
I would say contemporary goth Kate Bush is.She's no pop she's no cheesy enough for that.

Phoebus_Apollo
08-Nov-07, 00:02
She`s a mix of pop,rock,folk and classical - so that particular sub-genre would be defined as porofocla;)

the_big_mac
08-Nov-07, 11:28
She`s a mix of pop,rock,folk and classical - so that particular sub-genre would be defined as porofocla;)

Well she's firmly filed under "Rubbish" with me ;)

rob murray
08-Nov-07, 14:26
Pop ? ha ha ha ha ha ha, would you call Picasso a house painter, jeezo, whatever next, Led Zepp as a boy band, The Pistols as emo ( whatever that nonsense means ) Guns and Roses as a rockabilly act. I thought that the Foo Fighters were an ideal example of a pop group ( bit loud though ), she sounds sorta different to them in ways.

Good question actually, she is quite possibly one of a few who remain undefinable as regards a genre classification. Top girl, obviously causes plenty annoyance.

Jeid
08-Nov-07, 15:26
Pop ? ha ha ha ha ha ha, would you call Picasso a house painter, jeezo, whatever next, Led Zepp as a boy band, The Pistols as emo ( whatever that nonsense means ) Guns and Roses as a rockabilly act. I thought that the Foo Fighters were an ideal example of a pop group ( bit loud though ), she sounds sorta different to them in ways.

Good question actually, she is quite possibly one of a few who remain undefinable as regards a genre classification. Top girl, obviously causes plenty annoyance.

Led Zep were a boy band Rob and the Pistols were the first official emo band... you heard it here first ;)

Gizmo
08-Nov-07, 17:07
Avant-Garde Pop......she does push the boundries of what is generally accepted as pop.

Gleber2
09-Nov-07, 05:39
Well she's firmly filed under "Rubbish" with me ;)
Me too!!!!!!

rob murray
09-Nov-07, 12:20
Me too!!!!!!

Did you know that the bush one was 18 when she wrote her first album ! I would say that she was a one off !

Gleber2
09-Nov-07, 15:20
Did you know that the bush one was 18 when she wrote her first album ! I would say that she was a one off !
Can't stand the woman's music whether she was ten years old or fifty when she wrote it. [evil]

rob murray
09-Nov-07, 15:44
Can't stand the woman's music whether she was ten years old or fifty when she wrote it. [evil]

Thought that as an artist yourself you would at least appreciate her undoubted imagination and very youthful musical ability, dont really like her stuff myself but obviously millions of people do.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Nov-07, 15:59
Hanson recorded their first album when they were still in the womb, but it matters not. Kate Bush was a slightly eccentric, quite creative oddball who lends further weight to the suggestion that the 80s should be completely, and utterly, destroyed. Now Hazel O' Connor on the other hand...

K dragon
10-Nov-07, 17:11
i would say kate bush in the eighties is alternative pop.

she wasnt bubble pop and it wasnt the 80's goth scene or the new romantics....the only genre i can say is alternative electro pop.

running up that hill and cloud busting personal faves.

the_big_mac
10-Nov-07, 19:17
i would say kate bush in the eighties is alternative pop.

she wasnt bubble pop and it wasnt the 80's goth scene or the new romantics....the only genre i can say is alternative electro pop.

running up that hill and cloud busting personal faves.

I didnt realize there was a 80's goth scene?

K dragon
12-Nov-07, 17:54
oh yeah, sisters of mercy etc etc

paradise lost, the misfits were punk goth,

even nine inch nails in the late nineteen eighties were part of the gothic scene.

the_big_mac
12-Nov-07, 19:20
oh yeah, sisters of mercy etc etc

paradise lost, the misfits were punk goth,

even nine inch nails in the late nineteen eighties were part of the gothic scene.

For the exception of maybe the misfits, I would never have described any of that goth.

Just plain old heavy metal for me.

Jeid
12-Nov-07, 20:44
Paradise Lost are goth I think... I'm pretty sure they put themselves into that category with the kids. Could be wrong though.

NiN however... nah, not goth. Pretty good though

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-07, 00:04
For what's it worth I always thought goth music was heavy metal only with more keyboards in it. NIN, in my view, were industrial metal, though not in the strictest sense of the word. exes-X44 were industrial metal. Speaking of Nine Inch Nails, them, alongside Rage Against The Machine, Slayer, Helmet and White Zombie, were some of the best gigs I'd ever seen - and am not a huge heavy rock/metal fan.

rob murray
13-Nov-07, 10:51
For what's it worth I always thought goth music was heavy metal only with more keyboards in it. NIN, in my view, were industrial metal, though not in the strictest sense of the word. exes-X44 were industrial metal. Speaking of Nine Inch Nails, them, alongside Rage Against The Machine, Slayer, Helmet and White Zombie, were some of the best gigs I'd ever seen - and am not a huge heavy rock/metal fan.

Depends on what period you are placing "goth" ie The Banshee's, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Southern Death Cult, all early / mid 80's, not a trace of metal in any of them.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Nov-07, 13:04
... and there's where we differ.

K dragon
14-Nov-07, 02:10
has anbody heard nine inch nails's ep/album pretty hate machine, it was at that time part of the underground goth scene.

but again its a prefrence isnt.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-07, 09:45
PHM is a quality album: 80s without sounding totally 80s. You remember Reznor's first band before forming NIN? Imagine Depeche Mode on a bad hair day (which is saying something). I used to play Head Like A Hole with two bass players and two drummers. Quality track.

Geo
22-Dec-07, 11:21
Kate Bush: Progressive folk pop.

K dragon
23-Dec-07, 04:07
pepsi used to play head like a hole!!!

my world is tipped on its head lol

the album is amazing.