PDA

View Full Version : Flower Remedies

Saveman
07-Nov-07, 15:51
Has anyone ever tried flower remedies? Do they work? Or are they just hocus pocus mumbo jumbo? ;)

sweetpea
07-Nov-07, 15:56
Tried Rescue Remedy a couple of times, once for interview and once for public speaking, few drops in water, tasted disgusting and didn't feel any effect, prefer Kalms or I've got an aromatherapy stick thing (can't remember what its called) you rub it on your temples, it's quite soothing

Rheghead
07-Nov-07, 16:39
What are flower remedies?:confused

Metalattakk
07-Nov-07, 16:42
Jings Rheghead, you have at your very fingertips the greatest knowledge resource that mankind has ever had access to.

Use it man.

:D

Julia
07-Nov-07, 16:51
I've used Bach Rescue Remedy for my dog who gets very stressed in the car, it's very popular and a lot of folk swear by it.

http://www.rescueremedy.co.uk/

Saveman
07-Nov-07, 16:53
What are flower remedies?:confused

They seem to be a type of tincture using the "essence of plants."

Rheghead
07-Nov-07, 18:45
They seem to be a type of tincture using the "essence of plants."

Oh right, ok. I think there is a grain of effectiveness in them depending on the concentration of the active ingredients. As for the homeopathic remedies that have negligible or no active ingredients then I think that is mumbo jumbo, but again it depends on the active ingredient, some active ingredients like digitalis can be effective in very low concentrations comparable to homeopathy. It is too easy to generalise on the subject to give proper credit to it.

htwood
07-Nov-07, 20:00
Has anyone ever tried flower remedies? Do they work? Or are they just hocus pocus mumbo jumbo? ;)

I've used Rescue Remedy many times, mostly it has worked miracuously (but once in a long while I just stayed in bed with the blankets over my head LOL)
So the answer could be, if it works for you, it's amazing and you tell all your friends. If it doesn't work, you think its hocus pocus airyfairy stuff.
Another answer could be, how sensitive are you to subtle effects to and changes in your body chemistry? -Helen

canuck
07-Nov-07, 20:09
Flowers from anyone would be a delight, even if the sender spoke mumbo jumbo.

Moira
08-Nov-07, 00:35
Has anyone ever tried flower remedies? Do they work? Or are they just hocus pocus mumbo jumbo?

I have tried flower remedies and they've worked for me. Mind you, Saveman, I have been known to indulge in a little hocus pocus and I speak with a Caithness accent, which some would consider mumbo jumbo ;)

Flowers from anyone would be a delight, even if the sender spoke mumbo jumbo.

These are the best I could conjure up at short notice - enjoy.

http://i.191.photobucket.com/albums/z159/moirawick/flowers1.jpg

Anne x
08-Nov-07, 00:56
Flower Remedies work for me the kind sent by Interflora or local Florist not from a garage forecourt or Supermarket

Lolabelle
08-Nov-07, 08:58
I have seen them used very effectively on a savage dog. As it couldn't been mind over matter on a dog, I think they do work.

canuck
08-Nov-07, 12:58
I have tried flower remedies and they've worked for me. Mind you, Saveman, I have been known to indulge in a little hocus pocus and I speak with a Caithness accent, which some would consider mumbo jumbo ;)

These are the best I could conjure up at short notice - enjoy.

http://i.191.photobucket.com/albums/z159/moirawick/flowers1.jpg

Moira, they look great. Thank you.

Now if this miserable cold would lift I might even be able to smell them.

trinkie
08-Nov-07, 13:23
If you google Dr Bach+flower remedies. you'll get lots of interesting articles.

trinkie

corgiman
08-Nov-07, 13:27
rescue remedy works on rabbits :lol:

George Brims
09-Nov-07, 01:53
...some active ingredients like digitalis can be effective in very low concentrations comparable to homeopathy.

And in large doses, digitalis will kill you stone dead!

Geo
09-Nov-07, 19:30
I've tried Rescue Remedy in the past (driving test for one!) and think it helps. There may be a placebo effect in that you feel you are doing something positive so maybe it's that!

bluelady
10-Nov-07, 01:55
lavender dried and sewn into little bags are a great tension reliever.

trinkie
10-Nov-07, 10:51
Bach Flower Remedies
I have been using them for over 30yrs - Placebo ? perhaps. My GP takes them too and says they do no harm -–unless taken in Huge amounts.

Edward Bach began his career as a medical student in Birmingham Uni and then went to the Uni College Hospital in London to complete his training. He qualified in 1912 gaining Conjoint Diploma of M R C S , L R C P and during the following year gained the degrees of M B, B S and the diploma of Public Health at Cambridge in 1914.

You’ll find the rest in the book The Story of Mount Vernon – the Home of Bach Remedies

I am NOT promoting the Flower remedies, simply passing on a bit of info.

By the way you don’t have to take them by mouth – you can simply rub some on your wrist or forehead.

Placebo – perhaps ? It seems to help.

Hibeechick
10-Nov-07, 13:19
lavender dried and sewn into little bags are a great tension reliever.

Lavender I find is also very good with my migraines! I always use lavender air freshners, lavender pot-pouri ( sp? ) and lavender oils. I find that if the sore head is already there then the smallest amount of lavender oil rubbed into the temples is really effective - and you smell nice for the rest of the day lol

Liz
10-Nov-07, 14:15
I use flower essences (and homeopathy) on both myself and pets and they have been really effective.
If they work on an animal then there is no way they are a placebo.

Of course not all the remedies work for everyone all the time but, then again, neither do prescribed medications.

I use a great one for calming me down ie trips to the Dentist.:D

Saveman
13-Nov-07, 13:57
<snip>
Another answer could be, how sensitive are you to subtle effects to and changes in your body chemistry? -Helen

I have no idea...how can I tell, and what difference would it make?

A_Usher
13-Nov-07, 19:03
We have used them with patients many times, for all sorts of cases. We will be running a Bach Flower course in conjunction with our homeopathy course in the new year.

Andrew Usher
Member of the Homeopathic Medical Association