PDA

View Full Version : speech therapy

Ash
07-Nov-07, 15:37
hey everyone may seem like a silly thread but ive got myself worried, my 3year was at nursery today and one of the teachers asked me if id mind letting the health visitor talk to the wee one on her next visit to see if she needs speech therapy

i didnt think my wee one had a problem with speech, there is a few letters she can pronounce and when excitied may have a slight stutter - but she is 3. and myself and my partner think she speaks well so do others, im confused, of course if she needs it then fair enough- anything to help her.

sweetpea
07-Nov-07, 16:02
Ash, try not to get in a panic. It's a positive thing that the teacher is picking up on stuff like that instead of ignoring it and it could turn out to be nonsense, although I'd like to know where they will get the therapist from or how long you will have to wait. Try not to worry until she has been seen. It could turn out to be nothing at all.

cuddlepop
07-Nov-07, 16:24
Please dont worry Ash,Sweetpea is right there only being carefull.

All too often in the past problems have come to light after the child starts school.
HC really pushing early intervention where necessary.
Your lucky you have such a good service up your way.
remember if there's a problem it can be fixed.:D

Ash
07-Nov-07, 16:28
thank you for the kind replies, im such a worrier thats all

thanks again xx

steveler
07-Nov-07, 19:42
Hi Ash, my 3 yr old went to the speech therapist up here and we were the same as you, worried, hubby was annoyed as he didn't think it was necessary but I took her and she had a good time and enjoyed the games. There was a few things she had difficulty pronouncing but was advised it was nothing to worry about. She went for a while and they decided she was fine. I was pleased but felt better going - put my mind to rest nothing was wrong.
Nothing had been picked up on before moving up here from England.
They couldn;t be more helpful.

Ash
07-Nov-07, 19:53
hey thank you very much :D

Spring Flower
07-Nov-07, 22:32
Hi Ash

Like the others said try not to worry although I know it is difficult as I have 2 little ones as well and worry at the slightest thing!

But if there is a wee problem, and I am not saying there is, but it is better it is helped before she goes to school because a family member had a speech problem which his mother reported at 2 and wasn't dealt with til he was 3 1/2 years old. he was then taken out of class at school to get speech therapy and his mum felt this made him 'different' from the other children.

So fingers crossed if there is a wee problem it is nipped in the bud

bobsgirl
07-Nov-07, 23:10
Hi Ash,

My son went to speech therapy and it was great. I am glad I let him go as my daughter started picking up on his way of talking. He now talks perfectly and I have never had any worries about my daughter needing speech therapy.

I do know a lot of kids that do have speech problems but the parents are used to their way of talking therfore dont think they have a problem.

Hope it all goes well for you and dont worry.......glad to hear that they have started observing earlier as this means that if there is a problem then it can be corrected quicker.

DM07
07-Nov-07, 23:17
My 2 year old aint speaking yet. He said more at 1 than he does now. I taught him some sign language and he can use this no problem. I think he is just lazy. He is on the waiting list for the speech therapist but its long I hear as there wasnt one for a while and now there is a back log. My son will def need a speech therapist but its not uncommon. My cousin needed it and my father never spoke to he was 4!. The other day I was getting him to copy they sounds I was doing and I started to do the vowels. I said E and he said E, I said O and he said O then I said i and he pointed to his eye!!
Bairns, you have to love em!

SEB
08-Nov-07, 21:52
Hi
Try not to worry about this. It is better erring on the safe side and getting it seen to. There could be a very simple outcome from visiting the speech therapist - ie/ therapist might decide nothing needs to be done, or she might suggest activities for you to carry out with your daughter at home to help her. at the very worst your daughter will receive speech therapy to rectify the problem. It's good that whatever the problem is, it's been picked up now and can be dealt with at a young age.

Tristan
08-Nov-07, 22:02
We all have lazy habits in the way we speak and form our words.

Don't think of it as speech therapy think of it as exercise for the voice. If you think about all that goes on when we say something, we have to breath out, position and move our tongue form our mouth a certain way, tighten or loosen the throat and cheeks. That is for one sound. When saying a word there may be 2, 3 or more transitions in a very short time. A little bit of practice now could correct something that could turn in to a big problem in the future.