PDA

View Full Version : How much for Cash?

the charlatans
07-Nov-07, 11:36
Are you a haggler? do you haggle for everything or just the big items such as a new car/white goods etc?

I heard someone yesterday say her friend haggled for everything, even a pair of jeans which amused us all greatly. He got 50p off! :lol:

So what has been your best haggle? from the littlest to the biggest?

emszxr
07-Nov-07, 15:12
i used to hate people asking me 'how much for cash?' or 'take the vat off and ill pay cash'. i never did it. i used to ask them if they got discount at the till in the supermarket.
i did get £18 off something in halfords last week. i have never that i can remember haggled at a price. sure someone will correct me.

scorrie
07-Nov-07, 15:42
Double Glazing from Weatherseal. Signed up at £3400, cancelled immediately by letter and had the salesman back on within a couple of days. Renegotiated and had same windows installed for £1490.

emszxr
07-Nov-07, 15:57
oh i do remember one, was in park lane trying to trade in a car that i hated and wasnt running very well. seen a car i liked and went into the office and started talked prices. he wanted over £4k for the car , but i seen on his hand held computer how much he paid for it. i got it for what he paid for it and he got a not so good trade in that they had lots of bother trying to re-sell. naughty naughty

Ricco
07-Nov-07, 16:28
Bets haggle was over my Citroen C4 - managed to up the trade-in and down fees until it came out at £200 per month.;)

Solus
07-Nov-07, 16:28
I have in the past and will do so again, mainly for cars , bikes etc but i do chance my hand in the larger retail electrical stores. Sometimes its a plain no, others times they will haggle or throw in some free kit, dont ask dont get !

xx_chickie
07-Nov-07, 16:46
I think haggling gives a sense of satisfaction when a deal is made! :)

I wish it could be normal to haggle in a supermarket! Think of the bargains!

henry20
07-Nov-07, 16:50
I don't haggle - if I like it and think the price is ok, I buy it. If its too dear, I leave it.

singysmum
07-Nov-07, 18:01
Hubby got renewals for his motorbike insurance at £675.00!!! Nearly had a heart attack so rang the company and said we wouldn't be renewing as it was far too dear. The man at the other end asked me to hang on a minute and came back shortly to tell me that they could do it for £437.00. If they can do it when you threaten to cancel why don't they do it from the start? As it happens we got it for even less elsewhere anyway!!

emszxr
07-Nov-07, 19:45
Hubby got renewals for his motorbike insurance at £675.00!!! Nearly had a heart attack so rang the company and said we wouldn't be renewing as it was far too dear. The man at the other end asked me to hang on a minute and came back shortly to tell me that they could do it for £437.00. If they can do it when you threaten to cancel why don't they do it from the start? As it happens we got it for even less elsewhere anyway!!

lord that is an expensive quote. he must be riding something pretty big. glad i dont pay anything near that.

i am going to be involved in a big project soon and i might have to take up haggling for that

the charlatans
07-Nov-07, 20:41
I have to say i get too embarrased to haggle.
Except once in John Lewis in Glasgow, mum had bought a very expensive new sewing machine and she mentioned delivery costs and i laughed and told her i think she might just go elsewhere if they considered charging for delivery. It worked too!
Mr C is brilliant at haggling, i enjoy watching it from a distance. He says the best tool in haggling is the power of walking away.