PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping Statement

Moby
07-Nov-07, 11:07
I had to laugh when reading the Courier today. Thurso Community Council were discussing traffic issues in Princes Street and the fact that people are parking on double yellows.

Cllr Al Christies comment ".........mostly women" made me chuckle - I would love to know where this fact has come from - Does he patrol Princes Street all day with a wee notebook.:lol:

henry20
07-Nov-07, 11:10
The parking that annoys me is the random parking in the co-op car park. [disgust]

Why don't people realise that once all the parking bays are full, the car park is FULL!!

The people that park randomly cause problems for others and would be the first to kick up a stink if their cars got dented [evil]

XR2
07-Nov-07, 13:48
I'm not condoning dodgy parking but the amount of parking available in thurso town centre is really quite poor. They could have done with extending the car park beside the coop instead of putting up flats.

grandma
07-Nov-07, 14:08
Don't often go through to Thurso but when I have, the parking is a real nightmare. The Co-op carpark is usually full as is the one beside Woolies and if you try a side street then you're parking in someone's house space. Really needs to be sorted out.

hendy402
07-Nov-07, 14:10
Does anyone know what information Al Christie has to prove that dangerous parking in Thurso is caused mostly by women drivers? has he been standing out on the street day in day out watching whether men or women jump into dangerously parked cars?

changilass
07-Nov-07, 15:02
Maybe he has got the information from payment of parking fines imposed by the warden, this is just a guess could be totally wrong.

xx_chickie
07-Nov-07, 16:48
Re: women drivers

Probably just your good ol' sterotyping!! :lol:

jings00
07-Nov-07, 17:44
Maybe he has got the information from payment of parking fines imposed by the warden, this is just a guess could be totally wrong.

parking fines? imposed by the warden?? canny mind the last time i seen him down the street, let alone doing anything.

*Martin*
07-Nov-07, 19:28
Everybody knows that if they see bad driving or parking then it's OBVIOUSLY a woman.

I'm sure it was in the bible?

anneoctober
08-Nov-07, 02:04
I wonder what Mrs Christie had to say when SHE read the Courier? :lol: I for one would n't cross her........:eek: Good Luck Al........ LOL

stansmith
08-Nov-07, 10:47
Somone in his position should be reprimanded for these generalised, unfounded statements, unless he has facts to back these comments up.

starry
08-Nov-07, 10:49
Is there an online link I can use ?

Thanks

stansmith
08-Nov-07, 14:32
It was in Wednesday's Courier. Maybe this guy should come out and explain himself. :confused

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 14:38

Thurso traffic warden actually working and giving out a ticket........

Thought it was november not april !!! Must be the cold and wind getting to me

stansmith
08-Nov-07, 14:49
Is the warden not a dogcatcher also?

teddybear1873
08-Nov-07, 14:58
Is the warden not a dogcatcher also?

Ohhhh i have seen him with a few dogs down the years.

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 15:03
Ohhhh i have seen him with a few dogs down the years.

Ohh come on now that was Ruff !!! [smirk]

stansmith
08-Nov-07, 16:00
its turning into dogs abuse

Cattach
08-Nov-07, 16:09
I'm not condoning dodgy parking but the amount of parking available in thurso town centre is really quite poor. They could have done with extending the car park beside the coop instead of putting up flats.

You must be aither lazy or disabled if you cannot walk from the Riverside or Janet Street carparks to Thuro town centre!!
In the city you would walk much further and pay a lot for the privilege.

ett23
08-Nov-07, 16:13
canny mind the last time i seen him down the street, let alone doing anything.

I see him every morning and afternoon helping kids cross Janet Street to get to Miller Academy. And I've even seen him wandering down the pedestrian precinct recently too! :D

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 16:19
wandering down the pedestrian precinct

That about it then "wandering" the amount of times i have seen cars double parked or left on single yellows for over 10 mins is unreal parking yes is bad in thurso but people parking where ever they want is just as bad

He did give me a ticket once in wick a few years ago does that qualify me for membership for a special club or something

Buttercup
08-Nov-07, 17:17
I see him every morning and afternoon helping kids cross Janet Street to get to Miller Academy. And I've even seen him wandering down the pedestrian precinct recently too! :D

Aye, there's a big problem with parking in the pedestrian precinct right enough!!!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)

henry20
08-Nov-07, 17:26
He did give me a ticket once in wick a few years ago does that qualify me for membership for a special club or something

I'll need to join you, I got one when parked on a double yellow in Thurso, I was only there briefly and don't think I was away from car long enough for him to write a ticket without me even seeing him. Just the week before, I commented that I never hear of anyone getting tickets, so be careful what you say ;)

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 17:46
Lol maybe we should start a club or something !!!

I can bet you that no one will see him today from what i hear he is not to keen on the wind rain and cold etc

bish667
08-Nov-07, 17:56
If the traffic warden was about more then less people would park illegally, I thought a year or 2 back they hired a second warden so that there would be 1 in wick and 1 in thurso all week.

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 18:01
II thought a year or 2 back they hired a second warden so that there would be 1 in wick and 1 in thurso all week.

Yea they did he is my faither in law and i avoid him like the plague when he is on duty because i dont want any tickets !!! The difference between the two town regarding parking is unreal

bish667
08-Nov-07, 18:09
I'm never really through in Wick during the week,is the traffic warden in Wick around a lot? If he was about more in Thurso it would stop a lot of people parking illegaly. As already mentioned for the amount of cars in Thurso there is not enough "convenient" parking in the town centre which I quite often find a pain myself [mad]

The Angel Of Death
08-Nov-07, 18:12
Put it this way i work in thurso and i see him more times a week in wick than i do the other chap in thurso

angela5
08-Nov-07, 18:14
I'm never really through in Wick during the week,is the traffic warden in Wick around a lot? If he was about more in Thurso it would stop a lot of people parking illegaly. As already mentioned for the amount of cars in Thurso there is not enough "convenient" parking in the town centre which I quite often find a pain myself [mad]

Yeah the traffic warden is around a lot in wick, as soon as his back is turned when he takes a stroll around by the railway station or up the cliff you can be sure bridge street is full of cars.

engiebenjy
09-Nov-07, 02:12
The parking that annoys me is the random parking in the co-op car park. [disgust]

Why don't people realise that once all the parking bays are full, the car park is FULL!!

The people that park randomly cause problems for others and would be the first to kick up a stink if their cars got dented [evil]

No, it's the ones who park randomly when the car park ISN'T full that really annoy me. Surely if they are unable to park their cars between two lines they shouldnae be going into the car park at all! (either that or they're just too lazy to bother)

hotrod4
09-Nov-07, 08:36
Live in Wick but randomly go through to Thurso.
Princes street is a nighmare with the parking, cars cant see coming out of the junctions.Wick isnt too bad as the main street is just that -one street :)
Its the people that park right beside the junctions and wont help anyone get out,It always seems to be people with exec or large type cars that think they own the road or parking spaces.
Its normally the mannie or wifie in their wee peugot or citreon that lets you out, but Mr Merc or Mrs "look at me,have to hurry" 4x4 that pull out willy nilly and have no regard for other drivers.Well I suppose they pay more road tax so are more entitled!! :(
My little box of love doesn t have to pay too much in tax as the tax is their to penalise greedy parkers!!!!, I only take up a wee space so pay wee tax -simple really.

XR2
09-Nov-07, 08:55
You must be aither lazy or disabled if you cannot walk from the Riverside or Janet Street carparks to Thuro town centre!!
In the city you would walk much further and pay a lot for the privilege.

Steady now!!

What I was trying to say was that if they had extended the coop car park it might help to stop the individuals that abandon their cars in dodgy place that is all!!!

The Angel Of Death
09-Nov-07, 11:01
That would never have happened new houses (which equals lost of £££) or a car park extention for free parking not a chance

ett23
09-Nov-07, 20:05
[quote=hotrod4;294372]Princes street is a nighmare with the parking, cars cant see coming out of the junctions.Its the people that park right beside the junctions and wont help anyone get out,quote]

Have to agree with you there, Princes Street is a pain in the neck when all the cars are parked right up to the junctions - you can't see a thing when you're trying to get out. Most the time I just pull really far forward and then go for it as soon as I see a space. It's dog-eat-dog driving even up here in the far north!!:Razz