PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Waxwings

kas
06-Nov-07, 20:31
Please be on the look out for Waxwings. They have been spotted in Orkney and Tain over the last 24 hours so be on the lookout. They are one of my favourite birds and we normally get a visit from some, so let me know if you see any. Even non bird lovers are normally delighted if they spot one of these in their garden.

If you do not know what they look like
http://www.galleryofbirds.com/waxwing/waxwing.html

Ricco
06-Nov-07, 20:48
Oh, wow! Kas - you've got me all excited. One of my favourite birds and I didn't know that they get them near where I am living now. Can you PM me with a more accurate location? I'll try my best too get some piccies. I did see some in the bushes at the start of the Rectory drive near Castlegreen Road back in '63.

kas
06-Nov-07, 23:01
Just had an email with a photograph of one in Reay today.:):)

gollach
06-Nov-07, 23:36
I saw 2 sitting on phone lines in a garden in Harald Drive on Sunday morning.
They stayed a while,moving from one line to the next over about 15 minutes before flying off towards Stroma Road.

kas
07-Nov-07, 00:00
No way!! No Fair!!

No Offence, just a bit miffed if they are here and I have not seen one. I was driving out to Groats on Sunday morning, thinking to myself that all the berries in the bushes between the Thurso East turning and the town Limit, would that not make a good feast for them.

Thanks

gollach
07-Nov-07, 00:21
No way!! No Fair!!

No Offence, just a bit miffed if they are here and I have not seen one. I was driving out to Groats on Sunday morning, thinking to myself that all the berries in the bushes between the Thurso East turning and the town Limit, would that not make a good feast for them.

Thanks

Funnily enough, I said at the time that I reckoned they were hanging around there just because of all those lovely red berries on the hedge by the park next to the JoG road. :D

I wonder if Mount Pleasant is also a safer place to hang out without worrying about sparrow hawks?

kas
07-Nov-07, 00:36
Not sure about there but we have a regular Sparrowhawk here. There seems to be more about this year. Let us know if you see any more Waxwings.

Thanks
Kas

pulteney person
17-Nov-07, 21:20
I regularly see waxwings in Wick during winter. Last year I stood right by one which was resting on the pavement in Murchison street. I think it was really tired because it didn't move when I stopped. There were several of these birds in bushes near my house last winter.

unicorn
17-Nov-07, 21:57
do waxwings have a very loud and sharp call? The last few days I have heard the loudest sharpest birdcall in the area, it reminds me of the sound my chipmunk makes but I have yet to spot what it is making the noise.

Mik.M.
18-Nov-07, 13:53
No, waxwings make a sort of cooing noise, sort of a soft warble. We were lucky enough to have a flock of 50 visit us when we lived down south.

unicorn
18-Nov-07, 15:04
I will have to keep my eyes peeled for this noisy critter then :lol: Thanks for that :D

Kenn
19-Nov-07, 00:12
www.caithness.org/nature/birdwatching/index.htm

Laid-Back-Maverick
22-Nov-07, 00:29
I last saw Waxwings about 7 years ago back in Fife. I remember walking home from work one night and hearing a strange bird call - I looked up a tree to see a whole flock of them sitting. (It was about Autumn time, because the leaves had fallen from the tree)

I was pretty excited seeing them, but everyone else thought I was sad!