PDA

View Full Version : Debt collectors

dook
05-Nov-07, 21:48
Last week, when wasn't in, I received a calling card from First Direct Logistics Ltd saying that they had tried to made a delivery. Their telephone and reference numbers were included. Two things rang alarm bells. The first is that my partner was in all day and secondly the"calling card" was sent by 2nd class post?

Straight onto internet and one google later I found that this is a company of ruthless debt collectors who are currently being investigated by the TSO and Hampshire Police. They pretend to be a delivery agency (as mentioned) and lead you down a merry path pretending to be a delivery company. At the end of the very polite call they ask for a contact telephone number to ensure you are in. The telephone number! This is what they want!!! You will then receive numerous calls at all times of the day and night threatening all sorts. From legal action to telling your employers and having you sacked. Nice...

The company Concilian or Capquest apparently buy over existing debt (it is claimed that my debt was an unpaid mobile phone bill from 2003 for £17. Quite strange as I still have the same service provider, number, and use direct debit!!).

The way I found this out was simple and very childish. Confident with my new found knowledge (which is allegedly power) I decided to phone up the number whilst with holding my number. I spoke to the very lovely Gemma.

She promised that the company held a parcel for me and would deliver on Monday 5th November 2007. Now for the bad bit. She asked for a contact number and I said "Nah, I'll make sure I'm in all day". She certainly seemed to really need the number as she continuously pressed for it.

I reconfirmed the delivery date with her and asked for her own name and her line managers. She asked "why". I said that I had to take the day off work and due to past experience of non delivery of awaited goods, it would give me the chance of suing the promising individual instead of the company for a change.

You could hear the jaw drop...........DOOF!

That's when the real story of my huge £17 debt came out.

I explained the repurcussions of impersonating a postal service......DOOF!

Offences under the postal services act.....DOOF!

Offences under the telecommunications act........DOOF!

Offences under the data protection act ........DOOF!

No idea if the offences would actually stand but I said it with such confidence.

I also phoned up my mobile provider and they had no record of any debt!!!

Guess what. The parcel wasn't delivered.

Just a word of warning about giving out personal details to anyone!!

starry
05-Nov-07, 21:54
At this time of year I would fall for that, I am waiting for parcels and deliveries right up to mid December.
I wouldn't think twice about handing out my phone number so thank you very much x

DeHaviLand
05-Nov-07, 22:46
They are also in major breach of their Consumer Credit Licence, assuming they have one, which they need in order to collect debt.
Well done though in not being taken in by them.

j4bberw0ck
05-Nov-07, 22:47
......telling your employers and having you sacked.

I'm mystified as to how a debt collection agency could arrange to have you fired, but we'll let that pass. You might want to run a credit check on yourself through Experian or Equifax; non-existent debts may or may not get sold on to debt collectors but whether they're real or not, if they're on your credit record, they might as well be.

Here (http://www.experian.co.uk/) and here. (http://www.equifax.co.uk/)

dook
05-Nov-07, 23:22
I'm mystified as to how a debt collection agency could arrange to have you fired, but we'll let that pass. You might want to run a credit check on yourself through Experian or Equifax; non-existent debts may or may not get sold on to debt collectors but whether they're real or not, if they're on your credit record, they might as well be.

Here (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.experian.co.uk/) and here. (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.equifax.co.uk/)

They can't have me fired (it would be difficult for a start!!). Just threats. But if you didn't know that....(hence the post). As for experian and equifax I'm not gonna waste any effort. My credit rating has certainly not been affected to any extent. If they get anyworse I'll put in a CCA request and see if they can reply within the stipulated time. It's always a bit of an eye opener when THEY are late/haven't submitted their own account info to Companies House.

I am fortunate (in this instance) being able to handle the intimidation, unfortunately others may be duped into paying huge made up surcharges.

Just raisin awareness

j4bberw0ck
05-Nov-07, 23:51
Well, you're welcome anyhow.

bekisman
06-Nov-07, 00:08
Bit of info about 'em:

Name & Registered Office:
CAPQUEST LIMITED
FLEET 27
RYE CLOSE
FLEET
HAMPSHIRE GU51 2QQ
Company No. 05296562
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
7499 - Non-trading company
Accounting Reference Date: 31/03
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/03/2006 (DORMANT)
Next Accounts Due: 31/01/2008
Last Return Made Up To: 25/11/2006
Next Return Due: 23/12/2007
Last Members List: 25/11/2006
Previous Names:
Date of change Previous Name
04/01/2005 CAPQUEST GROUP LIMITED

Tristan
06-Nov-07, 08:33

Here (http://www.experian.co.uk/) and here. (http://www.equifax.co.uk/)

It is worth doing a credit check. Most of the time it finds nothing but it is amazing the number of little things that show up. Remember in this day and age it only takes a key stroke to enter some incorrect information.
When I did my check my bank had my address for one year at 4/7 street 4 flat 7 street and 7/4 street. The correct address was 4/7 street but with one account and another all three had been generated. In this case it would not affect my credit. They would search for my name at that address and because I never lived there nothing would show up. In any case Experian contact the banks and corrections were made.
I know some experts recommend doing a check every 6 months but that seems a bit excessive to me. It has been a year or so since my last check. It may be time to do one again.

xx_chickie
06-Nov-07, 11:30
Good work, dook!! You showed them! It's a scary thought that these companies operate so forecefully! It must be horrible for people who have been chased by them to have all their details demanded :(

ber219
06-Nov-07, 12:46
I received a letter the other day addressed to me at my old address in which I haven't lived for 4 years and it was regarding an outstanding debt for £58 on an unpaid Mobile Bill with Vodafone/Singlepoint. I haven't had this account since 2003 after I cancelled it at the end of the contract. And now after 4 years a debt collection agency suddenly send this letter to my old address saying that I owed this amount and they wanted it to be paid in the next 7 working days before collectors are sent out to deal with this.

Now I only live a mile away from my old address and the estate I live on in Berriedale know me and also my parent's live on the estate as well and surely if they had sent something previously to my old address someone would have seen it/passed it on to my parent's?

When I phoned up they said that they had to trace my new address through the systems' to find me, but I argued if that was the case why wasn't the letter sent to my new address and that I wanted proof from them that I owed this amount as I am absolutely sure that I don't and I surely would have been contacted and advised at the time i cancelled the contract that I owed this money.

What do I do? It was 4 years ago that I had this contract I am now with O2 all my phone bills have always been paid by Direct Debit and I have never had any failed payments bounce back. I don't want to get paying out £58 for nothing?

Bobinovich
06-Nov-07, 13:37
It is surely worth phoning Vodafone directly and querying it? I'm sure if it is a scam then they'd be interested in hearing from you about it as I daresay they won't be happy about their name being abused...