PDA

View Full Version : Immortality?

Kenn
05-Nov-07, 00:32
Having watched on the news tonight about the mummy of Tutankamen being put on display at Cairo Museum it makes me wonder if the ancient Egyptians have achieved a kind of immortality.
May be not quite the kind that they envisaged for themselves but who out there does not know of The Pyramids , cannot name at least one Pharoah or would not recognise the afore mentioned's golden face mask?

JAWS
05-Nov-07, 00:42
I understand their belief was that, "While someone speaks my name I am still alive." From that point of view they have almost certainly achieved a kind of Immortality.

Anne x
05-Nov-07, 01:51
Having been at the tomb it was the most unsignificant tomb in the Valley of The Kings but the legend that was him lives on The Boy King in Comparison to all the
The great Ramesis at Memphis, Giza and the Valley of the kings his tomb was nothing but I was taken up by the legend and got my pic taken outside so i believe the legend does go on

theone
05-Nov-07, 02:28
Having watched on the news tonight about the mummy of Tutankamen being put on display at Cairo Museum it makes me wonder if the ancient Egyptians have achieved a kind of immortality.
May be not quite the kind that they envisaged for themselves but who out there does not know of The Pyramids , cannot name at least one Pharoah or would not recognise the afore mentioned's golden face mask?

I read somewhere that the pyramids have nothing to do with burials?

JAWS
05-Nov-07, 08:07
What puzzles me about the belief that the Great Pyramid was the burial place for the Pharaoh Khufu is that the only place his name is actually mentioned in the place is in a piece of ancient Egyptian graffiti made by a gang of workmen called “Friends of Khufu” made in a hidden space which was never, ever meant to be seen by anyone.
The Egyptians had a tendency to cover the inside of tombs with paintings and instructions to help the Pharaoh reach the After-life. What I find rather strange is that in poor Khufu’s case they seem to have decided it wasn’t worth the bother.
I can understand tomb robbers making off with the “Goodies” and the sarcophagus and mummy being moved elsewhere, but the wall paintings? What happened to them? I can hardly believe that anybody took the trouble to remove them and to do it so carefully that not even a single spot remained to be found by even the most careful examination.