PDA

View Full Version : Britz

orkneylass
04-Nov-07, 20:53
Did anyone else watch all of both parts of this superbly thought-provoking film? How scary is the anti-terrorist legislation????

karia
04-Nov-07, 21:06
Did anyone else watch all of both parts of this superbly thought-provoking film? How scary is the anti-terrorist legislation????

A timely piece of TV for anyone who questions the 'nonesense' we are fed or has an enquiring mind.

Excellent Stuff!

Karia

golach
04-Nov-07, 22:17
How scary is Terrorism, it Kills!!!!!!!

karia
04-Nov-07, 23:01

You didn't watch it then..if that is your response.

Well did you?

Nope.you just made your mind up based on your present beliefs.:roll:

I think that we should all live and learn and be open to argument and debate given that we are privileged to have all this at our fingertips.

I love the fact that my decisions are only ever half formed and I can be influenced by someone who can shape an argument or hold a debate, flip my thoughts and discuss them without rancour.

To those who understand it..I respect you!

Kariax

j4bberw0ck
04-Nov-07, 23:30
I've taken a fair amount of stick on here for making a case against ID cards and against legislation which disallows demonstrations within 1 km of Parliament, for arguing that we're giving away liberty, and all in the face of those who bleat like sheep "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear".

I have no more sympathy for Muslim extremists now than I did before watching "Britz" - which is to say, none at all - but one of the best bits was seeing Mrs J face what I've been arguing for a long time. Normally she looks pityingly at me - "oh God, the old fart's at it again" - but this time she started to see it; Control Orders which are put in place without having to prove anything, without the controlee having any right to know why, or with what, they've been charged; the legislation put in place for one purpose being used for another, entirely; the anti-terrorist legislation which give the police powers to do whatever they damn well please.

All you people who believe ID cards are justifiable, all you people who believe you can give up liberty for security - I'm sorry to be rude, but you're incredibly short-sighted. This is not the UK of the 1950's and 1960's.

fred
05-Nov-07, 10:14

How many innocent people have been killed by terrorism in this country this century? Less than 10 a year?

How many innocent people have our governments killed in other countries this century with their "war on terror"? Well over a hundred thousand a year?

Which kills most people by far?

percy toboggan
06-Nov-07, 21:22

Not very if you live on Orkney I'd say.

I see we're still getting potted moralistic lectures from the usual suspects.
I'm watching Britz in installments and it's hard work to be honest. So far I've seen nowt to re-assure me. Then again it's all pretend. Do you really think MI5 could afford a dozen big screen telly's in one small room.

As the organisation announces there are 2,000 people 'actively involved in Islamic extremism' in these islands it makes anyone who resisted mass post war immigration absolutely right in my book. That includes Enoch Powell.

And to think: Maggie called the Coal Miners the 'enemy within' Come back lads - all is forgiven ( and we need you)

Riffman
06-Nov-07, 23:32
Terrorism is just that, terror based. Its playing with fear, not bombs, fear is far more powerful a weapon.

The simple thing in the UK to do is publically ignore terrorism. The more we discuss it, talk about it, the bigger the fear becomes, ignore it and we move on. If we are not intimitated by them they will soon get the idea.

As for ID cards....if they come I am leaving. I have been doing serious research into going to the USA at some point, yes it may be a crap country from a foreign policy, but the real people who live there are some of the nicest I have met. And I shall enjoy owning my own weapons for protection against 'terrorists' and the government......

fred
07-Nov-07, 00:14
As the organisation announces there are 2,000 people 'actively involved in Islamic extremism' in these islands it makes anyone who resisted mass post war immigration absolutely right in my book. That includes Enoch Powell.

Don't believe everything they tell you, your government is trying to scare you so they can get away with passing draconian laws and invading countries.

Here is what Craig Murray, former British ambassador to Uzbekistan, has to say about it.

I'm posting it here not a link because I'm altering a word or two to comply with the org rules.

Frank Goebbels Gardner Strikes Again

With The Queen's Speech tomorrow and Gordon Brown intent on ramping through 2 month detention without trial for Muslims, the traditional ceremony has been performed of wheeling out the Head of MI5 in advance of the Queen's Speech to tell terrible lies about the extent of the terror threat. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6149726.stmJonathan "Pinnochio" Evans tells us there are 2,000 potential terrorists in the UK - and then throws in casually that it could be double that.

That is plainly [rubbish]. it is far too high a figure. The IRA - who were much more persistent and lethal terrorists in the UK - had a membership in the 80's, when at the height of their bombing campaign, of about 90 actual terrorists. The current 2,000 clearly have severe productivity problems by comparison.

Any genuine security expert will tell you that Evans' figures are far too high. Assuming the large majority of these "terrorists" are adult male, that means according to Evans at least one in every 150 adult male Muslims in the UK is a terrorist, and at his higher surmise signifcantly more than one in a hundred. Plainly, to anyone who actually meets any Muslims, that is impossible.

Unfortunately, there is no shortage of "Security consultants" who make a fat living from exaggerating the threat of terrorism and then advising on how to counter it. The BBC usually has no problem finding up this kind of so called "Security expert" to reinforce the ludicrous scare. Today the BBC rolled out Dr Sally Leivesley - who they failed to point out is Managing Director of "Newrisk Ltd", an archetype of those seeking to make money from spreading fear.

And they have the ever reliable Frank Gardner. Chiselled profile held high, impeccable hair swept back, upper lip stiff, poppy impeccably in place, Gardner can be relied upon to retail any absolute rubbish the security services spew out without the slightest danger of passing it through a filter of independent thought. He can also be relied on to produce a meaningless graphic to illustrate the most ludicrous of propositions.

To date his finest hour was when 250 police stormed a house at Forest Gate and shot a completely innocent young postman as he got out of bed. The police explained that they were searching for a "Chemical weapons vest".

There has never, ever been a "chemical weapons vest", anywhere in the World. The very concept is nonsense - the point of a chemical weapon is to achieve maximum dispersal of the chemical, and wrapping it in fabric around the human torso would be ludicrous. That is why there has never been a chemical weapons vest.

Nonetheless the noble, earnest Gardner introduced a graphic of what a chemical weapons vest might look like - a laughable photo of a camouflage pattern waistcoat full of suspicious bumps and loops. He might just as well have labelled it a nuclear bomb vest. What a farce! What a [person likely to go blind]!

Anyway, Gardner was at it again tonight with a graphic to explain the latest ludicrous claims. How do they know there are 2,000 terrorists, he asked? Well, they can't tell us because it's intelligence, he explained. But the helpful graphic fills the screen, with hundreds of sinister black silhouettes of unknown terrorists, interconnected by numerous black lines indicating networks, nodes and axes of evil. And to explain it all, every so often, there was a not blacked out figure, a suicide bomber or, glowering at us, Osama Bin Laden. Of course!! That's the evidence!! There really are thousands of them.

I was going to retaliate by producing a graphic of thousands of sinister silhouettes linked by criss-crossing lines, and dotted among them Goebbels, Hitler, Attila the Hun, Stalin, Mao and Frank Gardner. But I can't be bothered - sounds like a job for Bloggerheads.

The truth is that since September 11 Islamic militants have killed about 70 people in the UK. That's 12 people a year in a country of 60 million. Every death is terrible, but a threat to our existence it is not. You have a much better chance of drowning in your own bath, of being struck by lightning or of winning the national lottery than of being killed by a terrorist. But that wouldn't persuade you to give up your civil liberties, or that we have to invade more oil rich countries for our security.