PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

highlander
04-Nov-07, 00:08
Do you find any kinds of food that affect your asthma, i totally love prawn cocktails, but the last twice i found my wheezing much worse, is it the same for you or is this just a coincidence?

Liz
04-Nov-07, 00:22
I find that dairy badly affects my asthma. I know that dairy is mucous forming so this could be why.

It would be worth keeping a food diary to see if you can find out the foods which are causing a problem.Do you react to any other shellfish?
If it is dairy which is the problem you can get dairy free mayonnaise.

My asthma is also affected by changes in weather;strong smells like perfume;paint etc; dust; pollen and stress.
So life really!!!!!:roll:

golach
04-Nov-07, 00:27
Do you find any kinds of food that affect your asthma, i totally love prawn cocktails, but the last twice i found my wheezing much worse, is it the same for you or is this just a coincidence?
I canna eat shellfish, but that was before my Asthma was diagnosed, so I can eat anything it does not affect me at all, ever since the Dr put me on Seretide 250 accuhaler & montelukast 10mg tabs

highlander
04-Nov-07, 00:47
Liz i dont eat any other kind of shellfish, but have noticed if i eat cadbury milk chocolate it sets it off too, also if i go out in misty, cold days, i can almost count down the hours to get antibotics for a chest infection, golach i take seretide 500 and montelukast.

hell raizer
04-Nov-07, 00:50
my ashma was so bad on thursday hubby took the day off work, he called the dr in. im always bad when the weather changes. im taking 8 steriod tablets a day and also antibiotics.....at least im feeling a bit better today

highlander
04-Nov-07, 01:03
Hell raizer i used to hate the steroids as they made you so moon face, but thats before i really understood how life saving they are,hope you are feeling better, just wonder how many people do suffer from asthma in caithness, our air is so pure and clean, how people must suffer in citys.!

Frelaco
04-Nov-07, 01:27
I am asthmatic and allergic to fish, never eaten fish in my life, the smell is enough so set me off and if I touch it, instant swelling and weals! Same with peanuts. I can however handle and eat prawns (unfortunately I don't like them) but have never been brave enough to try any other shellfish. I had a very bad reaction to red wine once after only a couple of sips and have never chanced it again.
I also have an intollerance to eggs and can tell instantly if there's an egg in whatever I'm eating.

hell raizer
04-Nov-07, 01:28
it seems to more common these days ...i take ventolin, tiotropium,symbicort, montelukast and carbocisteine

corgiman
04-Nov-07, 02:01
You don't realise how lucky you are until you read posts like these, I have no worries about going out in all weathers and complain about it!! and I can eat anything pretty much without these worries and complain that there is nothing I want to eat in the cupboard :confused

hell raizer
04-Nov-07, 02:08
you can get asthma at any age i was 55yrs old, so look after your health corgiman because its not very nice being stuck in the house all the time

corgiman
04-Nov-07, 02:11
I do try to wear facemasks when I clean the rabbits out now, which is something I never used to do until I realised just how much dust was all over me when I was leaving the shed.

highlander4
04-Nov-07, 02:21
My son has asthma. It doesn't affect him too much but when it does he has to be taken to the doctors or the hospital to be put on the nebuliser (is that how you spell it?) but for the life of me i still can't figure out what it is that sets him off

TRUCKER
04-Nov-07, 08:45
My asthma is ok with foodstuffs i find it gets worse in cold weather, with dust and with pollen.

Tugmistress
04-Nov-07, 10:01
I suffered with asthma as a kid and luckily 'grew out of it' in my late teens early twenties. The only thing that still gives me a slight wheeze now is the concentrate orange juice that you have to dilute to drink. i just avoid that or make it so very weak it looks like something else lol

brandy
04-Nov-07, 10:20
my son has asthma and right now he is horse and choked up ... never fails when the weather turns cold he starts coughing and having a harder time breathing! hes 4 years old and he came downstairs last night with his inhaler and brought it to hubby asking for a shot. so hes at the stage now he knows when he needs it.

Max
04-Nov-07, 13:07
It is a horrible condition - my son has had it since pre school - he is 9 now. If he catches a cold that is the time he has to be more careful. He had a sleepover at a friends and was wheezy in the morning and he ended up on prednisolone. I don't really know what triggers it - except having a cold. I feel really protective of him - although he knows now himself if it is coming on. I feel I think about it all the time and am always looking for signs - I also feel nobody else could look after him properly and I worry what would happen if I wasn't around! I really hope he grows out of it - I wish I could take it from him and have it instead of him:(

Frelaco
04-Nov-07, 13:08
You have probably all heard this before but I do think central heating has a lot to do with the increase in asthmatics. I never have the heating on in my bedroom at night and always have the window open. I've also replaced the carpets with laminate. I too struggle in the mornings now that the weather's turned colder, I take ventolin, becloforte and serevent. Back on topic about food, I too find orange juice affects me as does blackcurrant. I never buy diluting juice now as my three kids (teenagers now) seem to think that if it's there we have to drink it. Talking about "juice", I really think it's a bit of a caper that we have to provide endless supplies of "drinks of juice" to our kids.....it was water or milk in our day!:lol:

Frelaco
04-Nov-07, 13:14
It is a horrible condition - my son has had it since pre school - he is 9 now. If he catches a cold that is the time he has to be more careful. He had a sleepover at a friends and was wheezy in the morning and he ended up on prednisolone. I don't really know what triggers it - except having a cold. I feel really protective of him - although he knows now himself if it is coming on. I feel I think about it all the time and am always looking for signs - I also feel nobody else could look after him properly and I worry what would happen if I wasn't around! I really hope he grows out of it - I wish I could take it from him and have it instead of him:(
Max, when your son has a cold a great aromatherapy remedy is a mix of tea tree oil, lavender and eucalyptus. The lavender relaxes, the eucalpytus clears the airways and the tea tree kills any bacteria. If you don't want to burn it in a burner just put a couple of drops of each oil on his pillow or a cotton pad in his bedroom. No more than two drops of lavender as it will then act as a stimulant rather than a sedative! Also when buying oils buy good quality, if you get them from the chemist make sure there's a use by date. Hope this helps.

Liz
04-Nov-07, 14:04
I had asthma really badly as a child but 'grew out of it' and then it came back a few years back.
Mine is also affected by allergies (I have chronic sinusitis as well)so have to take an antihistamine tablet. Sometimes when out for a walk I can feel my eyes and throat starting to itch and then they both swell up and my breathing gets really bad. At times like these it's hard to know what has set it off but obviously something in the air. This happens in the winter as well so not just pollen.
I take Symbicort;Singulair;Cetirizine and Ventolin daily but it still really plays up and I end up taking lots of Ventolin some days. It is not always possible to recognise a trigger.
I think in my case it is genetic.
I do find Vicks rubbed liberally on the chest and throat can help.

To all fellow asthma sufferers I wish you well and good deep breathes!!!!

Torvaig
04-Nov-07, 14:20
You have probably all heard this before but I do think central heating has a lot to do with the increase in asthmatics. I never have the heating on in my bedroom at night and always have the window open. I've also replaced the carpets with laminate. I too struggle in the mornings now that the weather's turned colder, I take ventolin, becloforte and serevent. Back on topic about food, I too find orange juice affects me as does blackcurrant. I never buy diluting juice now as my three kids (teenagers now) seem to think that if it's there we have to drink it. Talking about "juice", I really think it's a bit of a caper that we have to provide endless supplies of "drinks of juice" to our kids.....it was water or milk in our day!:lol:

All this is very good advice and I'm afraid pets are all too often responsible as well which is not good news for animal lovers. Dust in bedding, cushions, old books etc., or anything that hasn't been used for a while is also bad news.
Diluting juice affects me too and I rarely touch it now; goodness knows what is in the stuff. I also dislike going into shops like Woolworths as the plastic fumes there are atrocious; I get out as quick as I can!
If more people drank water there would be less waste, healthier children and better teeth. The only problem being, just how healthy is our tap water now? I dislike intensely the chemical smell of it although I must admit that recently it seems a lot better but I like to use a filter jug just in case. I'm afraid I think a lot of people are allergic or intolerant to modern day living and I look forward to the day that all farming is organic and the food and drink merchants are held accountable for some of the rubbish they sell to the public both in food content and the packaging they use.

Shabbychic
04-Nov-07, 15:10
I was reading recently about a thing called a Saltpipe which is supposed to help Asthma sufferers.

Apparently it was discovered that salt miners almost never suffered from respiratory diseases, and since the 1800's people suffering from respiratory problems have travelled to salt mines in Poland, Austria and Romania for Salt Therapy.

Now this salt therapy is available at home via a Saltpipe, and is supposed to help with many respiratory ailments.

There are a few companies selling this item and may be worth a quick google for those interested to find out more.

Liz
04-Nov-07, 15:27
I tried the Saltpipe and am afraid it didn't help me at all.:(

It does have a lot of good testimonials though.

cuddlepop
04-Nov-07, 16:22
Its so scarey to watch someone having an asthma attack.trying to get them to calm down and slow their breathing is so difficult,especially over the phone.:~(

Unfortunatly my daughter,whose away studying in Glasgow,ended up in hospital this morning.Her flat mate phoned NHS24 who said to get a taxi,to the Vicky.Its not far but by the time she got off the phone my daughter collapsed.
After being assessed she's on the eight steroid tablets for the next four days,a nebuliser was sent home with her and antibiotics were given.
They diagnosed the flu with a chest infection.That would be bad eneogh but because she has asthma it affected her breathing.:(

I had no idea food and certain juices could act as a trigger.When she was home last week she had a cold and was taking loads of diluting juice.
I wonder now if that made it worse.
It didn't help she went to her placement on friday which is a 30minute walk their and back.

She has promised that she will stay off this week and rest,the exams and talk can wait.

pat
04-Nov-07, 17:37
Deodorants, air fresheners all types, cleaning sprays, bleaches, "stinky or smellies" shops, talc, strong perfumes, moulds and mouldy unfresh air, are all my trigggers, careful who I visit and shops I enter to buy products.
Even passing outside a shop selling those strong smelling toiletries is enough to start a serious attack.
Passing through smokers gathered outside a doorway starts severe problems straight away for me - often the smokers think I am over reacting when I start coughing and wheezing, it is not their lungs and body suffering at the time.

hell raizer
04-Nov-07, 18:10
Deodorants, air fresheners all types, cleaning sprays, bleaches, "stinky or smellies" shops, talc, strong perfumes, moulds and mouldy unfresh air, are all my trigggers, careful who I visit and shops I enter to buy products.
Even passing outside a shop selling those strong smelling toiletries is enough to start a serious attack.
Passing through smokers gathered outside a doorway starts severe problems straight away for me - often the smokers think I am over reacting when I start coughing and wheezing, it is not their lungs and body suffering at the time.
all these things effect me as well, centrel heating is another one.......i have to admit i have been using my nebuliser more often since the weather has changed

SunnyChick
04-Nov-07, 23:10
Diluting orange juice which hasn't been diuted enough sets me off. So does dog hair. Yuk. I'm fine with cats, but that's probably because I've always had one. Exposure to cats/dogs is good early on in childhood as it's then less likely you will develop an allergy.