PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

cuddlepop
01-Nov-07, 21:37
This is getting ridiculous.
The dogs are quivering wrecks who are under the computer table as I type.

Your suppose to ignore there distress but its not working.

Any ideas.:~(

lady penelope
01-Nov-07, 21:45
Turn the telly up, or the radio on, close curtains and blinds. Be positive and ignore the fireworks. Some dogs respond well to having some clothing- thier own or a t shirt. I know it sounds strange but some dogs find it comforting.

cuddlepop
01-Nov-07, 22:30
Thanks for that.

The younger dogs worse than our older dog.

Lastyear we ended up with the music full blast.

Think the neighbourghs thought we were having a party.:lol:

Wonder if you can get headphones for the dogs[lol]

lady penelope
01-Nov-07, 22:40
Try Pets at Home, in Wick! They seem to have everything for pets.[lol]

neepnipper
01-Nov-07, 22:46
Pets at Home sell things like Serene-Um which are herbal medicines to keep dogs calm, most of them they need to start taking a few days in advance but there is one, can't remember what it's called, that works straight away, pop in and a memeber of staff will be pleased to help.

goldenguernsey
01-Nov-07, 23:25
People don't always think or realise the distress fireworks cause to animals, it's such a shame when they're terrified by them.

lady penelope
01-Nov-07, 23:40
It's usually the noise animals don't like. You can buy quieter but prettier fireworks.

evelyn
01-Nov-07, 23:56
My oldest dog gets very distressed with the fireworks.
I find that several different types of music on at the same time seems to muffle the sound best.
Out for a sniff in the garden followed by his big meal just before the dark comes down, music on throughout the house and he sleeps through the explosions.
evelyn

jean
02-Nov-07, 01:12
our vets sell dap collars for dogs. your vets probably do too. they do help keep them calm.. and giving them a squirt of rescue remedy or emergency essense helps too.

cuddlepop
02-Nov-07, 11:08
I dont know who the heck was letting them off last night but it went out till 11pm.

Before I had my dogs I loved the firework displays not I just wish you could have the light explosion and not the sound.
The ones that sound like gunfire are the worst.:~(

Anne x
02-Nov-07, 12:37
there was a vet on Paul O Grady show last night I wasnt actaully watching but at the end of the show they had a plug in that helps calm dogs down from the fireworks maybe someone else did and got the name of the product
Ax

Liz
02-Nov-07, 13:30
I would think it would be the DAP(stands for dog appeasing pheromones I think!) plug in which is the same as the collar which Jean mentioned (you get Feliway for cats). The Rescue Remedy and Emergency Essence is a good idea as well.
I always turn up the TV really loud or play music to try to drown out the noise of the fireworks.
Thankfully, my dog Benjy doesn't mind fireworks when he is in the house but my cats aren't keen!

Pet owners are told to keep pets in on 'Bonfire Night' but how can you do this when fireworks are being set off willy nilly from early October!
The new laws are useless are far as I can see!:roll:

I always feel sorry for all the poor stray cats as they must be terrified!

carasmam
05-Nov-07, 22:17
AAARGH - Sorry about that but I had to let it out [lol]

Wish they would stop, the dog barks then the bairn wakens, get them both settled and another lot start, the dog barks then the bairn wakens............. you catch my drift !!![disgust]

Sooner they are banned to the general public the better. How is everyone else (and their animals) coping tonight ?

cuddlepop
05-Nov-07, 22:35
There not the two of them are quivering wrecks.

They were at their dinner when it started needless to say its not been finished.:~(

Why cant we just have professional displays and thats it.[evil]

Bakerbhoy
05-Nov-07, 22:39
My dog isn't bothered by the fireworks but the cat hates them although this year he is certainly better than last year. Horse on the other hand is terrified and there is not much you can do about that. Can't stable him incase he goes bonkers inside and could injure himself and you can't rug him up proper for this time of year as he runs round and gets sweaty which is no good in the cold nights its a nightmare!!! I am all for the banning of public sale fireworks and just having an organised display on one set night and be done with it.

carasmam
06-Nov-07, 00:00
We signed every petition going last year to get them banned but the government never took any notice [evil]

Do they have to make a noise? I assumed it was the explosion that projects them up so high, but have heard that there are bonnie fireworks but without the noise. Wish it was just them on general sale if that is the case.

I suppose it's doing no good banging on about it (excuse the pun) on here, but right now it is my pet hate.

corgiman
06-Nov-07, 00:02
There have been many this year that really were quiet quiet which really did please me. :D

hell raizer
06-Nov-07, 00:29
my oldest dog has been going daft all night, i wonder how many more nights we have to put up with these big bairns amusing themselves :~(

MISS K
06-Nov-07, 10:08
As i have only had harry for nearly 4 months we had no idea how he was with fireworks, i was lucky enough to get my hands on a CD called fireworks and gun noise, so i played that for a couple of weeks just so i could guage how harry was, might be an idea for you guys for next year, you play it low and then gradually get louder:D

carasmam
09-Nov-07, 00:46
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Firework-abuse/

Here is a link to an online petition (again) :roll: It's worth a try to get the sale of fireworks regulated :Razz

cuddlepop
09-Nov-07, 10:17
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Firework-abuse/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Firework-abuse/)

Here is a link to an online petition (again) :roll: It's worth a try to get the sale of fireworks regulated :Razz
Thanks for the link carasmam,we can but try.