PDA

View Full Version : What are they checking for?

Fantoosh
31-Oct-07, 21:12
I dont know how many people here on the org are gamblers :lol:, but i was just wondering what the staff are looking for when they check the greyhounds behind the ears etc before they are put into the traps? Does anyone know?

I was told before, but i can't remember and its been bugging me for a few days now. The first time i noticed it, i just thought that they were getting a little stroke for good luck. ha ha

Thanks

Dadie
31-Oct-07, 21:14
are they tattoo'd with an identity no there or is it somewhere else??

Cazaa
31-Oct-07, 21:20
Is it to check that the ears are actually there? I know that it's illegal to cut the ears off the greyhounds (reducing air resistance?) so maybe 'fake' ones can be stuck on which will fall off once the race starts.

Fantoosh
31-Oct-07, 21:21
hmmm.. maybe thats it (The tattoo thing). They also look under their little coat with their number on, so im not sure.

Fantoosh
31-Oct-07, 21:24
Do people really cut their ears off? or is that a joke?

fred
31-Oct-07, 21:28
are they tattoo'd with an identity no there or is it somewhere else??

Racing greyhounds are tattooed inside their ears.

catsbasket
31-Oct-07, 22:25
they can be tatooed on the inside of their back legs aswel can't they?

ashaw1
01-Nov-07, 14:48
As far as i know it's just the ears. We used to have a couple of ex-racing greyhounds. If they are Irish greyhounds they are tattoo'd in one ear, UK greyhounds are tattoo'd in both. That's why greyhounds don't like having their ears touched as it reminds them of the track. ( i think that's the right way round)

Bananas
01-Nov-07, 21:45
Mine are tattooed with green ink inside their ears and you are right they don't like having their ears touched, one of mine screams like a girl (she is a girl - so I can say that I think?)

There's a thread on Retired Racing Greyhounds as Pets in the Pets Corner - If you want to know more, there is good info there!