PDA

View Full Version : Non Sense

jings00
31-Oct-07, 18:21
so, due to health and safety you can no longer get a poppy with a pin in it, but explosives are still sold to the general public (in the form of fireworks and bangers). hmm...........somethin no right there.

Julia
31-Oct-07, 20:29
It's just obvious that a poppy pin is infinitely more dangerous than a firework!

~~~~~~~~~~~

FIREWORK RELATED INJURIES

Due to resource issues the DTI did not conduct a survey in 2006 so I am using the previous year as an example....

The points below summarise the incidence of all injuries caused by fireworks that require treatment in Accident & Emergency Departments and Burns / Plastic Surgery Units in Scotland during the 33-day survey period (11th October to 12th November 2005):

the total number of people injured in Scotland was 94, an increase of 27 from the 2004 survey.

the overall increase can be attributed to the under 16 and the over 20 year-old age groups (16 and 9 additional injuries respectively). The proportion of injuries occurring in these age groups (49% and 37% respectively) is similar to previous years.

the majority (78%) of injuries occur as casual incidents in the street / other public places and at family / private parties (41 and 32 cases respectively).

of the 62 injuries where type of firework was recorded, rockets were the most common cause (31 cases).

injuries to the hand and eye were most frequently recorded (59 cases) with rockets being responsible for 37% of them.

the proportion of head injuries fell from 36% in 2004 to 9% in 2005, partly due to the inclusion of face injuries (16%) as a new category in the 2005 survey

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POPPY PIN INJURIES

the total number of people injured in Scotland was zero~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry I meant to say it's obvious that a firework is infinitely more dangerous than a poppy pin.

The Royal British Legion has stopped supplying pins with its poppies because it fears compensation claims from "injured" members of the public.

It's just a pity that firework manufacturers aren't as compassionate.

Dadie
31-Oct-07, 21:12
i bought stick on poppys today..mine didnt stick .. caithness weather seems to be to much for them..