PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Winter Warmer Casseroles

Anne x
31-Oct-07, 12:21
We all have Casserole recipies we use year after year here is one of my favourites and so simple

Braised Steak & Onions in Stout

1Lb Braising Steak cut into 4 pieces
1Tablespoon Oil
Seasoned Flour
2 Largish Onions
5fl ozs Stout
1/2 Tsp worcestershire sauce
Salt & freshly milled Black Pepper

preheat the oven to Gas Mark 1 or 140c

Melt the oil until sizzling hot coat the meat on both sides with seasoned flour and brown on both sides lift them out set aside on a plate
Fry the onions to brown them well then arrange the meat on top plus any juices from the plate season with salt and pepper
Add the stout and sauce put the lid on the casserole place in the oven cook for approx 21/2 hrs until the meat is tender

If you choose to Braise the steak on top of the hob add 1 extra fl oz of stout

Serves 2-4 people

Angela
31-Oct-07, 15:34
Sounds very tasty, anne. :)

Since my son spent a weekend in Dublin recently, he's been asking for a recipe for steak & ale casserole, which I didn't have, but this should just fit the bill.

I'll try it out next time he comes to visit, and if he likes it, and he's a very good boy, he might just be allowed to take the recipe away with him! ;)

golach
31-Oct-07, 16:41
Anne x,
that sounds very tasty, but a wee question, the average bottle of Guiness is 500mls approx 18 fluid ounces. Where do the other 13 fluid ounces go? Or is that a perk for the chef? :eek:

Anne x
31-Oct-07, 16:53
Trust you !!! Yeh Mr x gets the leftovers here enjoy !!!

karia
01-Nov-07, 16:48
We all have Casserole recipies we use year after year here is one of my favourites and so simple

1Tablespoon Oil
Seasoned Flour
2 Largish Onions
5fl ozs Stout

Melt the oil until sizzling hot coat the meat on both sides with seasoned flour and brown on both sides lift them out set aside on a plate
Fry the onions to brown them well then arrange the meat on top plus any juices from the plate season with salt and pepper
Add the stout and sauce put the lid on the casserole place in the oven cook for approx 21/2 hrs until the meat is tender

Serves 2-4 people

A nice variation to Anne's recipe is to remove casserole with 15 mins left to go then add rounds of French baton spread on one side with Dijon mustard then lightly pressed mustard side DOWN over the top and baste with any reserved fat from the beef, return to oven for final 15/20mins without a lid to allow crisping up.

I add carrots to mine and use dark Isle beer in place of the Guinness.

Super Comforting and you don't need to serve potatoes with it!:)

karia

Thumper
01-Nov-07, 19:58
Golden gravy chicken
Diced chicken,sealed in hot pan and then coated with flour
add chopped onion,garlic,tomato puree,mixed italian herbs and chicken stock
pop into a ovenproof dish and whack it in the oven for about an hour,thicken with a bit of cornflour if needed and serve with couscous,rice or whatever you fancy ;) sorry i dont have quantities,I just wack it all in and its never turned out badly!x

Anne x
03-Nov-07, 15:59
Here is another easy one

Hungarian Goulash
serves 4-5

11/2lbs Braising Steak cut in cubes
1tblsp Olive Oil
2 Large Onions roughly chopped
1 clove Garlic crushed
1 rounded Tablespoon Plain Flour
1rounded Tablespoon Paprika
14oz Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Medium Green or Red pepper
5fl ozs Cream
salt and pepper

I add a little sugar when I use tinned tomatoes optional though

preheat oven to gas mark 1 or 140c

Brown the meat of on all sides stir in the onions cook them add the crushed garlic sprinke in flour and paprika add the tin of tomatoes season with salt and pepper bring to a slow simmer and transfer to oven for 2 hrs

Cut the pepper in strips stir into the goulash cook for another 30mins
just before serving stir in the cream then sprinkle a little more paprika on top

serve with Pasta or Rice
this dish does not spoil if left longer

golach
04-Nov-07, 15:39
Anne x........ :roll: I had to look twice I read a Hungarian Golach first time phew!!

anneoctober
04-Nov-07, 22:03
Anne x........ :roll: I had to look twice I read a Hungarian Golach first time phew!!
I'm sure that the "hungarian Golach" would be just as warming and comforting. Anne x ;)

Anne x
05-Nov-07, 01:29
well maybe a taud tough !!!! sorry golach

sassylass
14-Jan-08, 00:20

1Tablespoon Oil
Seasoned Flour
2 Largish Onions
5fl ozs Stout

Serves 2-4 people

This has become one of our favourite meals. Tonight for a change I fried some mushrooms in with the onions, delish!

Anne x
14-Jan-08, 01:16
thank you glad you like it have had a lot of feed back on this one did you use Sweetheart Stout or Guiness sassylass I prefer the sweet one

Ax

Anne x
14-Sep-08, 15:46
Well its that time of year again maybe not winter yet but just to share the kitchen smells lovely today
Sassylass I added the mushrooms this time lovely ty

hotrod4
14-Sep-08, 16:22
I like to fry some strips of beef with a couple of chillis,onions and Mushrooms. after a long simmer I then thicken with Gravy granules and add a tsp of Garam Masala. Its basically a stew with a "bit of a kick".

sassylass
14-Sep-08, 17:19
mmmm hotrod that sounds yummy, will have to try it.

Annex, thanks for the reminder and glad you liked the added mushrooms. I use guinness, but often use ale which is also nice.

Anne x
19-Aug-09, 15:19
Here is another easy one

Hungarian Goulash
serves 4-5

11/2lbs Braising Steak cut in cubes
1tblsp Olive Oil
2 Large Onions roughly chopped
1 clove Garlic crushed
1 rounded Tablespoon Plain Flour
1rounded Tablespoon Paprika
14oz Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Medium Green or Red pepper
5fl ozs Cream
salt and pepper

I add a little sugar when I use tinned tomatoes optional though

preheat oven to gas mark 1 or 140c

Brown the meat of on all sides stir in the onions cook them add the crushed garlic sprinke in flour and paprika add the tin of tomatoes season with salt and pepper bring to a slow simmer and transfer to oven for 2 hrs

Cut the pepper in strips stir into the goulash cook for another 30mins
just before serving stir in the cream then sprinkle a little more paprika on top

serve with Pasta or Rice
this dish does not spoil if left longer

there you go Changilass enjoy

changilass
19-Aug-09, 15:26
Cannae give you rep privately so here is some very publicly.

Thanks
xx

changilass
27-Aug-09, 19:40
Made the Goulash for tea tonight and I have to say
wow
absolutely bliddy wonderful.

Thanks again for highlighting it for me Anne x.

kitty kat
11-Oct-09, 23:34
a firm favorite for 2 years :)

Kevin Milkins
12-Oct-09, 00:53
Made the Goulash for tea tonight and I have to say
wow
absolutely bliddy wonderful.

Thanks again for highlighting it for me Anne x.

I like the sound of this and would like to give it a try.

I have only ever had Goulash in Maastricht about fifteen years ago, and it was delicious.
The outside catering vans where you can get a meal at night served it with chips and mayonnaise and I have never found anything that could equal it for a tasty feed that hit the spot.:Razz

sweetpea
27-Oct-09, 02:10
Em I have a recipe of sorts.
I like to boil a ham hough and do a bean stew with it. It's really flavoursome and healthy too.
Tin of tomatoes. tins of beans of some sort, carrots, onions mushrooms etc.
I simmer the ham for a good couple of hours and use the stock to make the casserole, then pull the ham off the bone and add it at the last minute.
I also add whatever herbs I have and cumin and corriander seeds and a bit of paprika.
Sorry it's not a proper recipe.