PDA

View Full Version : Soup

Andrew C
30-Oct-07, 16:40
Made my first big pot of soup of this autumn/winter this afternoon...tastes great if i say so myself! Nice pot of lentil and carrot.

Whats yer favourite soup?

Ash
30-Oct-07, 16:55
after thumpers recipe in the recipe section it is now tattie soup, made some on saturday!

trying pumpkin tonight

yummy

Rheghead
30-Oct-07, 16:57
I bought a tin of soup in the co-op last week, Heinz tomato, my favorite. This morning I opened it and found to my horror black bits floating around in it. I was most disgruntled to find that my fave comfort food had been spoiled by Hint of Basil as advertised on the tin. Yack!:~(

Read the small print people.

Thumper
30-Oct-07, 16:59
after thumpers recipe in the recipe section it is now tattie soup, made some on saturday!

trying pumpkin tonight

yummy
Awww....that made me feel so good :) Thanks for the compliment Ash!I hope you like the pumpkin soup as well! x

Ash
30-Oct-07, 16:59
I bought a tin of soup in the co-op last week, Heinz tomato, my favorite. This morning I opened it and found to my horror black bits floating around in it. I was most disgruntled to find that my fave comfort food had been spoiled by Hint of Basil as advertised on the tin. Yack!:~(

ooo you poor thing lol:lol:

did u try it?

Ash
30-Oct-07, 17:01
Awww....that made me feel so good :) Thanks for the compliment Ash!I hope you like the pumpkin soup as well! x

your welcome thumper:Razz

cuddlepop
30-Oct-07, 17:39
I remember years ago you could buy a heinze lentil soup that had butter beans in it.It was lovely.

my own favoutite is homemade mutton broth.:D

Its almost a meal initself,especially served with home made bread @butter.

MadPict
30-Oct-07, 17:46
I am partial to a hearty stew - in fact I have just finished making a lamb stew. It is simmering away slowly on the cooker as I type. I am debating whether to add some dumplings to it - plain or herby? Such a gastronomic dilemma.....

Update:
Added dumplings.

grandma
30-Oct-07, 17:58
Had a lovely soup when on holiday made with lots of different beans. Thanks to the wonder of tinned veg I managed to recreate it using a bit of boiled ham and it was really warm, filling and incredibly tasty - even if I do say so myself!!

Angela
30-Oct-07, 18:18
I bought a tin of soup in the co-op last week, Heinz tomato, my favorite. This morning I opened it and found to my horror black bits floating around in it. I was most disgruntled to find that my fave comfort food had been spoiled by Hint of Basil as advertised on the tin. Yack!

I love almost every kind of homemade soup..but have to confess to a great fondness for Heinz tomato soup, with bits of white sliced bread added in....:o

It must be something to do with childhood memories, I find it sooooo comforting! :D

highlander4
30-Oct-07, 18:59
I've just finished making soup aswell. It never lasts long in my house. I don't have a fav homemade soup i always just bung whatever ingredients i have in it. It always turns out ok

karia
30-Oct-07, 19:05
Spicy lentil or anything with yellow split peas.

Each and every soup my OH turns his hand to.:)

However.....I HATE barley in soup![disgust]

Karia

highlander4
30-Oct-07, 19:07
Spicy lentil or anything with yellow split peas.

Each and every soup my OH turns his hand to.

However.....I HATE barley in soup![disgust]

Karia

I love barley. I put it in most of the soup i make. Yum Yum :D

karia
30-Oct-07, 19:54
I love barley. I put it in most of the soup i make. Yum Yum :D

Not Yum Yum...more Slime slime![lol]

Shudder!

karia

highlander4
30-Oct-07, 19:57
Not Yum Yum...more Slime slime![lol]

Shudder!

karia

I know what you mean Karia. Somethings you just don't like :D

rockchick
30-Oct-07, 19:58
I LOVE Hot and Sour soup...I've got a good recipe but usually the chinese serves a good one.

I can't stand tomato soup...always looks like blood clots to me!

karia
30-Oct-07, 20:09
[quote=rockchick;290444]I LOVE Hot and Sour soup...I've got a good recipe but usually the chinese serves a good one.quote]

Agree, totally rockchick, most Chinese soups are lovely but Hot and Sour is the best.:)

(and the great thing is ..they don't put barley in it!);)

karia

Anne x
30-Oct-07, 20:23
Made my first big pot of soup of this autumn/winter this afternoon...tastes great if i say so myself! Nice pot of lentil and carrot.

Whats yer favourite soup?

Tomato & Basil homemade of course ;)

Bananas
30-Oct-07, 20:27
Had tinned Heinz tomato for lunch today - my favourite. Funnything is I won't eat tomatoes. Love chicken and love mushrooms but won't eat chicken or mushroom soup. mad eh?

angela5
30-Oct-07, 20:30
Yellow Split pea, Broth or Tattie soup.:)

Thumper
30-Oct-07, 21:22
Had tinned Heinz tomato for lunch today - my favourite. Funnything is I won't eat tomatoes. Love chicken and love mushrooms but won't eat chicken or mushroom soup. mad eh?
I'm like that too!I love cherry flavoured things but hate cherries,banaa's yum,banana flavour yuck,celery...bleurgh ,celery soup lovely :) weird but true :lol: x

karia
30-Oct-07, 21:34
For the tinned soup afficianados out there ..Campbell's condensed chicken, mushroom etc, so beloved of folks who make pasta bakes are under threat.

They have been bought over by Batchelors..and future supplies are uncertain.:eek:

karia

ks
30-Oct-07, 21:39
My favourite has to be tattie but have to agree with so many others that Heinz tomato is good, I put grated cheese in mine!

rockchick
30-Oct-07, 21:58
For the tinned soup afficianados out there ..Campbell's condensed chicken, mushroom etc, so beloved of folks who make pasta bakes are under threat.

They have been bought over by Batchelors..and future supplies are uncertain.:eek:

karia

I've been waiting (patiently) for them to bring over Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, which was a childhood favourite of mine. Have yet to see it in the UK (sigh!)

Thumper
30-Oct-07, 22:01
I've been waiting (patiently) for them to bring over Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, which was a childhood favourite of mine. Have yet to see it in the UK (sigh!)
Dont you just hate it when companies release things in one country but not in others?Drives me mad,my kids love fruit loops but for me to get them here costs me well over £7 a box :eek: Needless to say they dont get them!Why do companies do this when they would obviously sell them? x

horseman
30-Oct-07, 22:05
Had a very big bowl o' chicken noodle soup yesterday an it was first class:)

scorrie
30-Oct-07, 22:33

You should have complained that the soup was Basil Faulty ;)

NLP
30-Oct-07, 23:49
Pea and ham is a favourite with the wee one (its the peas) any home made soup is great, just finished the pot of cabbage soup today(anything goes in) yummy, tinned it has to be Heinz tomato

telfordstar
31-Oct-07, 13:52
Just finished some of my mums homemade tattie soup for some strange unknown reason hers always tastes so much better than mine does and i make mine the same way.

she also makes mince soup which is to die for infact just sent her a wee txt to say i havnt had that in a while haha

wifie
01-Nov-07, 17:44
Aaw Rheghead how could they - there is nothing like a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato when you want one!
Scorrie - very funny "Basil Faulty" Ha ha!

karia
01-Nov-07, 18:08
If you have to 'resort' to tinned soup and let's face it we all do at times, you could do worse than the Heinz Weightwatchers range.
Their Spicy lentil and Potato is amazing and their Moroccan Chickpea is also lovely.

And if, like me you are not on a diet...you can have as many cans as you like!;)

karia

Andrew C
01-Nov-07, 18:19
My mothers Chicken Rice soup is lovely and really really easy to make. Might pester her for a recipe when I'm down next and post it in the appropriate section.

I'm not adventurous in my soup making, I know I can make a nice lot of the one kind and I tend to stick to it. The challenge I've had is trying to make small quantities because after 3 years of making it for soup runs in Glasgow, its hard to adapt to feeding your family instead of the underworld of Glasgow. So if you ever see me handing people tupperware tubs of soup around, you'll know I made too much lol.

Good thing is that if often tastes a lot better when its been in the freezer and re-heated. Freezing must do something to fuse the flavours together or something.

Thanks for all the mouth-watering suggestions! :o)

karia
01-Nov-07, 18:28
[quote=Andrew C;291166. The challenge I've had is trying to make small quantities because after 3 years of making it for soup runs in Glasgow, its hard to adapt to feeding your family instead of the underworld of Glasgow. [/quote]

'Underworld' eh?

Interesting choice of words there Andrew!

Karia