PDA

View Full Version : Winter Pursuits and Resolutions

Angela
28-Oct-07, 12:32
Now that's it's officially winter, I was wondering what Orgers have planned to while away the long dark evenings and chilly weekends...

It's usually around this time, not in January, I make resolutions...often totally unrealistic, like learning another three languages, taking classes in pilates and belly dancing, going back to swimming, yoga AND knitting, reading more worthy books than I normally do, cooking every single meal from scratch...and so on....

Who am I fooling? :roll: In reality I'm returning to my family history...and then I'll see if I've any time and energy for anything else...

Lolabelle, if you're reading this, I know it's your summer now, you lucky thing! ;)

golach
28-Oct-07, 13:01
Now that's it's officially winter, I was wondering what Orgers have planned to while away the long dark evenings and chilly weekends...

It's usually around this time, not in January, I make resolutions...often totally unrealistic, like learning another three languages, taking classes in pilates and belly dancing, going back to swimming, yoga AND knitting, reading more worthy books than I normally do, cooking every single meal from scratch...and so on....

Who am I fooling? In reality I'm returning to my family history...and then I'll see if I've any time and energy for anything else...

Lolabelle, if you're reading this, I know it's your summer now, you lucky thing!
Angela, I am going to decorate my home inside and out, lift all the carpets and lay laminate flooring, wash all the Windows, Scrub the Stair, if I had a car I am sure I would have to wash that also. I say these are the things I am expected to do as they are on Mrs G's "His things to do list", and this is what she expects me to do this week!!!!! :confused As you read this, Mrs G is compiling next weeks "Things to do" list for me, just incase I get wearied, having all this time on my hands over the winter. [lol]

laguna2
28-Oct-07, 13:27
I too have organised things to keep me occupied during the long dark nights of winter.

Cross stitch, knitting, reading, perhaps join the gym ... mylist goes on.

In reality, I will sit by the fire and complain about the dreadful programmes on TV or be infront of my computer hoping to be entertained by goings on on the org.

;)

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 13:43
I love the dark nights with a real fire roaring up the lum.
Nothing beats lying in your bed with the covers pulled over listening to the rain.

Caithness General better get ready betweenJ uly and september as there may be a population boom if we all run out of things to do!!! ;)

Rheghead
28-Oct-07, 13:45
I thought the official start of winter was 21st December?:confused

Angela
28-Oct-07, 14:07
I thought the official start of winter was 21st December?

You may very well be right there Rheghead, although I thought 21st December, the shortest day, was "midwinter"....

It's still more autumnal here than wintry, I'm glad to say.

Well....I could amend my question, google the point etc -but being basically lazy, can I just ask you to go with the spirit rather than the letter....? ;) :lol:

Anne x
28-Oct-07, 14:13
well O H promised now the dark nights are looming less hours in the garden and more time spent in the house decorating etc and where has he been for the past 3 days garden !!!

In the garage are 6 paint testers !!! and 7 packs of Loc Bloc tiling all waiting for someone to start the kitchen
Angela it will be well into the Winter before thats done !!!! Next Year

laguna2
28-Oct-07, 14:16
I thought the official start of winter was 21st December?:confused

Perhaps someone should tell the weather that it is not yet winter :lol:

karia
28-Oct-07, 14:35
I can feel the urge to have a huge therapeutic de clutter in the coming months.

We seem to have amassed vast amounts of 'stuff' in case it came in handy some day!:roll:

It's never going to..so time for the bin bags I think.;)

horseman
28-Oct-07, 15:04
I can feel the urge to have a huge therapeutic de clutter in the coming months.

We seem to have amassed vast amounts of 'stuff' in case it came in handy some day!

It's never going to..so time for the bin bags I think.;)

Ref 'stuff' ours is mostly in freezers(3) bit of a rake thru', hells bells,look at this? 2 years out of date!so we sling that,yes the whole lot! An then what!Yep!fill them up again!
Thundering big argument this am.No talking now,but that is my o.h.yes an that is me.Dunno' why I am posting this, must be an idle Sunday pm.:)

gardenergirl
28-Oct-07, 16:26
I do that at this time of year too! I've been thinking of joining the gym and going swimming. Though I haven't worn a swimsuit in years (due to big butt!), so I'd have to climb a good few munros first.
I thought about taking up salsa dancing - thought about it last year too, think it's something to do with 'strictly come dancing', because I can't dance to save myself.
I definately plan to spend more time surfing though - I really do enjoy that.:D

First though I have to find a job to tide me over until February (when my old job starts up again). Because for some reason even though I have all the time in the world at the moment, when I'm not working I lose all motivation (not to mention the will to live!!)

Ricco
28-Oct-07, 17:59
Now that my summer 'list' is finished Mrs R is no doubt compiling a winter to-do list. It will probably have some painting on it, some gardening, wash the windows (inside and out), clean the gutters (front and back). Oh yes, and carefully climb up on the conservatory roof to clean the roof glass. :confused

Mr_Me19
28-Oct-07, 18:51
like learning another three languages

I'm not learning 3. Possibly one though. And its not a spoken language. Its a programming language!! (Yes i'm a geek! :lol:)

But i'll be impressed if I manage to choose between Java and C++. Java would be more useful for the Uni course I am planning on doing but C++ is more useful in the real world. If I do java it will be C++ at a later data. If I do C++ it will be java at Uni....

Decisions,decisions,decisions!

Mister Squiggle
28-Oct-07, 19:23
Planning to catch up on some books I meant to read over the summer ... needless to say, they are all still sitting by my bed, collecting dust.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for snow, too. Can't find any websites which might offer "snow predictions" for this winter yet, but here's hoping for a few decent falls so the young'uns can get their sleds out.

Torvaig
29-Oct-07, 00:11
"Now that's it's officially winter, I was wondering what Orgers have planned to while away the long dark evenings and chilly weekends..."

I'm going to stay with Lolabelle!

changilass
29-Oct-07, 00:21
Winter or not, we are going camping for a couple of days at Loch Morlich, the wee man loves it.

For the rest of the time leading up to christmas I have a few cross stitch things to do as pressies and also a stocking to hang on the mantle for the bairn, just hope my glasses turn up soon so that I can see to do them :lol:

helenwyler
29-Oct-07, 13:59
Who am I fooling? In reality I'm returning to my family history...and then I'll see if I've any time and energy for anything else...

Snap Angela!

I had a phone call last night from a relative in Stirling who's suddenly interested in the Caithnesian family history...so I'll have to tidy up on Ancestry.co.uk...and then on to the next generation...

And that will entail a lot of sitting down:eek:...so I have resolved to brave the cold, dark nights ahead and keep up the yoga!

Apart from that, it's all 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' for me;)...or more precisely, on the wood-burning stove!

Andrew C
29-Oct-07, 17:33
I'm wondering what folks do with their kids in the winter, especially weekends. I know there are tonnes of things for them to do in the weekday evenings, but what do you do with them all day on a Saturday. On Sunday were usually in church n stuff so we're pretty busy on a Sunday, but what about Saturday?

We've been spoiled living in cities for the last 7 years..when it was wet we'd either go to a shopping mall or find an indoor soft play area or something. What is there in Caithness?

Ash
29-Oct-07, 17:37
I'm wondering what folks do with their kids in the winter, especially weekends. I know there are tonnes of things for them to do in the weekday evenings, but what do you do with them all day on a Saturday. On Sunday were usually in church n stuff so we're pretty busy on a Sunday, but what about Saturday?

We've been spoiled living in cities for the last 7 years..when it was wet we'd either go to a shopping mall or find an indoor soft play area or something. What is there in Caithness?

honestly?

there is NOTHING! sorry but i find the weekends a struggle, go for a walk, swimming - but if its cold then its not a great idea

we have picnics indoors for fun for the wee one, she loves it, cinema, bowling

sorry im not much help

dook
29-Oct-07, 18:38
I'm gonna finish that kit car I bought off e bay at 0403 hours on January 1st 2004!!!!!!!

I think you can tell what happened there.

Torvaig
29-Oct-07, 18:41
What's wrong with staying at home? Is home such a boring place even with our modern gadgets like computer, games, wiis etc? Think back to your own childhoods. Were you entertained every hour of the day or were you allowed to devise your own past-times and use your imagination?

karia
29-Oct-07, 19:03
What's wrong with staying at home? Is home such a boring place even with our modern gadgets like computer, games, wiis etc? Think back to your own childhoods. Were you entertained every hour of the day or were you allowed to devise your own past-times and use your imagination?

Well said Torvaig,

When I was tiny, my Gran visited and looking at my toys she threw up her hands in horror saying, 'The child has too much..it will thwart her imagination'.

By todays standards I had very little..and my imagination thrived only too well!:roll:

Still, the good lady had a point and a lot of the toys I did have required me to apply some kind of creativity.

Once you are able to read...entertaining yourself and having long winter nights to fill doing so, are a real joy and a pleasure .. in my opinion!:)

karia

Riffman
29-Oct-07, 19:05
I love winter! Just dug out my padded camo over trousers and jacket ready for the first winter hunt, much better than summer when dog walkers and horses are all over the places scaring everthing in sight :rolleyes:

I hope we buckets of snow too...driving in snow is darn good fun!

Andrew C
30-Oct-07, 16:38
I have to confess that I'm looking forward to a Scottish winter! The last 5 years down south have really been not much fun...hardly even a frost...didn't have to scrape the car once last year! Its quite a nice feeling to be at the stage of getting ready for a winter, although winter does come with rouble for lots of people in our community.

I hope people are remembering to keep an eye on elderly neighbours and families who struggle to keep their houses heated etc. Towards that end, if you know people in that situation, don't hesitate to send them our way and we'll do what we can to help.

Ash
30-Oct-07, 16:39
well i have started. awful day today so me and the wee one have cleared her room - we had 3 piles 1. charity shop 2. loft 3.bin
:D
lots of room now!

Oddquine
31-Oct-07, 01:30
I've dug out the cross stitching stuff and patterns, howked the 1/24th doll's house off the shelf in the bedroom to make more furniture and am planning a new pooter to have a go at Linux.

But I'll likely spend most of my time reading books or forums or expanding my family tree!

Lolabelle
31-Oct-07, 09:22
I am going to get a pass for the pool.
Get out more with my camera.
Clean up the next garden in the yard.
Turn on the air conditioner, and puff and pant around the streets, trying to make sure the dogs get some exercise.

laguna2
31-Oct-07, 09:36
.... think I will go and visit Lolabelle too :lol:

golach
31-Oct-07, 09:41
.... think I will go and visit Lolabelle too :lol:
Laguna, can I come too? :lol:

laguna2
31-Oct-07, 09:53
Certainly golach - will we fly first class? ;)

I am sure that Lolabelle will have a tent or something we can sleep in!

TRUCKER
31-Oct-07, 10:00
U could use ur yacht

golach
31-Oct-07, 10:04
Certainly golach - will we fly first class? ;)

I am sure that Lolabelle will have a tent or something we can sleep in!
I think a leisurely cruise would be much nicer, via Cape Town, across the Indian Ocean, we could call in at the Seychelles for a wee break, then call in to Freemantle, and arrive in Sydney docking under the Harbour Bridge, where we could wave to Lolabelle and Dave sitting in his 18 wheeler on the bridge. [lol]

golach
31-Oct-07, 10:06
Angela, I have just thought of a Resolution for my Winter...........Stop Dreaming and get back to real life [lol]

Angela
31-Oct-07, 10:17
Angela, I have just thought of a Resolution for my Winter...........Stop Dreaming and get back to real life

Quite so golach, and how is Mrs G's To Do list comng along??? ;) [lol]