PDA

View Full Version : Retired Racing Greyhounds as Pets

Bananas
28-Oct-07, 11:45
I have two 5 years old bitches, both retired with broken legs and lucklily the owner cared enough to have them repaired. I could make loads of comments about greyhounds as pets, mostly positive but would like to hear your views?

Julia
28-Oct-07, 20:45
As far as I know they can make excellent pets but ideally not with children, I looked at one last year in the Glasgow dog home but they would not consider me as I have children.

fuzz24
28-Oct-07, 23:48
My sister's mother-in law was raised with grayhounds and has had quite a few over the years as pets, i knew two of them personally when my sister was courting her son and later when my nephew was born and they were fab! never heard of problems between children and them, prehaps this one from the re-homing center had a perticular problem with children but in genaral i've always known them to be good family pets.

Moira
29-Oct-07, 01:53
Hi Bananas - I've only heard very positive things about having retired racing greyhounds as pets. They've been described to me as ... docile, very affectionate, lazy even, which quite surprised me.

I've no personal experience here, but I had imagined they would need/expect a lot of exercise. Not so - as one very proud & devoted owner told me - "A couple of quick bursts of energy release, running around the park each day and he's quite happy to lie & sleep the rest of the time". I don't know why they would not be ideal around children, as Julia has said.

brandy
29-Oct-07, 09:38
the only thing i know neg. about a racing greyhound is that they will kill cats and other small animals. but that is purley because of their training. they see a small furry blur and they chase. unfortunatly, most things are not as fast as they are and they often catch what they are after.

nanoo
29-Oct-07, 13:14
I don't remember NOT having a greyhound in our home. Until i was about 14 my father bred and raced his greyhounds and we always had one in the house as a pet. This, not keeping them where there are children is rubbish, you will never find a more gentle, patient or loving pet for your home. Some of my fondest memories are of walking them with my dad, one particular brindle we had was called Daisy(she was a retired racer) and i could do anything with her and she took it all in her stride. Daisy and me were soul mates and i was heartbroken when she passed away of old age. The greyhound is one of the best dogs any child could grow up with, definately.;)

lady penelope
29-Oct-07, 18:14
My dad adopted a retired greyhound years ago and when he took 'Banjo' home my 3 young sons adored him.
Joe as he became to be known was neurotic, fun, mental, very fast, loving, and very accepting.
When we were moving one of our cats went to stay and the two animals doted on each other.
He was a killer, especially wild rabbits and he had a few run ins with deer in his time!
Joe has passed now and it has taken us all a long time to get over him, my dog looked all over the house when we went down for a visit and then lay where Joe used to lie as if he knew.
Greyhounds aren't really typical of other dogs and they are not for everyone, but they are a rewarding commitment if you have the time.:)

Bananas
29-Oct-07, 19:14
Thanks for your replies - there are many misconceptions concerning greyhounds as pets, many of which we had before we adopted our two little darlings.

They do not require a lot of exercise, ours get one or two, half hour walks a day and a play in the garden and they sleep a lot. They are clean, being house trained from day one, and they do not smell as a lot of dogs do and mine are very good with children and strangers. Even Mrs Bananas can walk two together with complete ease, as ex-racers they came ready lead trained and they were already used to travelling in the car.

We have found some negatives, most of which we were warned about prior to adopting:
Walking mine, near cats, rabbits, squirrels and small dogs is a questionable, they are not too keen on bigger dogs either, but that should change are they are introduced to dogs other than their own breed and desensitised to the small and furry.

We can't let ours of the lead - for one we would have no chance of catching them and when we did so deliberately, one just ran and ran and we ended with a huge vets bill for damaged legs. Obedience is a joke; one command and mine do what they like, unless they can see a titbit in your hand.

But, if you want a very friendly, house-trained friend, who gets rid of your headaches and stresses as soon as you get home (and someone you can tell anything without it being passed on) get a greyhound or two

blondscot
29-Oct-07, 22:52
Having worked with the greyhound at Powderhall in Edinburgh and also having had them as pets they make wonderful animals to have at home very faithfull and i didna have any problems keeping them with smaller animals, but each dog is different!

simpsoney
31-Oct-07, 17:19
I own three dogs (a salouki, a husky and a greyhound). I rehomed Jack (greyhound) from Balmore about 4 years ago and now i can say i would he is the best pet i have evr had. He is so loyal, gentle and LAZY!!! It hasnt always been plain sailing with Jack, i had a few teething problems with him (seperation anxiety, things like that) but we have overcome most of them. I got Jack after my late partner died tragically and being on my own he was the only thing that kept me going. He was always by my side and as long as he got his wee bursts on the beach or in the field and his dinner at night he was happy. Oh and if he could get away with it he would be on the end of my bed!!

I now have rebuilt my life with a new partner, i have two step kids and a one year old and the three dogs have been a joy to have. I wouldnt say greyhounds shouldnt be around children at all. I think that is rubbish.

Julia
31-Oct-07, 17:47
Maybe it was the particular greyhound I was interested in, maybe he didn't like children. Any breed of dog may not be compatible with children, I suppose it just depends on the actual dog.

Greyhounds are good with kids ~ point duly noted.