PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Faux Pas

rockchick
28-Oct-07, 09:57
Which fashion trends made you wince? What seemed so cool at the time but now (thinking back) you really regret ever leaving the house like that?

Torvaig
28-Oct-07, 11:32
You first......

_Ju_
28-Oct-07, 11:36
Buttons as big as plates in the eighties........ and the hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having permed my lovely straight hair into tight curls so I could look like Annie (film about an orphan girl) in 1983. To get rid of it I had to cut my hair so short I looked like a boy...............eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeu uuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

PS: if you get a chance watch the film the wedding singers. It's not a great movie but the way it dargs you back to the eighties is fantastic. I got home from watching it and headed straight for the old photos....... wince!

Thumper
28-Oct-07, 12:24
I used to go out with a hundred different colours on at one time and though I was Archie!When I look at the pics now I cringe!Lord know what my Mam was thinking letting me out of the house like that [lol] x

Lolabelle
28-Oct-07, 12:27
I used to wear clothes that really didn't suit me, I was a fashion slave. Now Dave helps me chose my clothes
And bad, bad, bad perms. EEEEkkkkkkkkkeee, cringe, cringe :eek:

Anne x
28-Oct-07, 12:36
Far too many faux pas cant really single one bad out well maybe Platform Shoes & Boots all that teetering along the road

ashaw1
28-Oct-07, 12:43
The 80's has to be a really bad era for fashion looking back on it now. Bright shell suits and neon socks what were we thinking?

rockchick
28-Oct-07, 12:59
legwarmers, the "layered look" aka Flashdance
adidas track suits
"rompers"

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 13:49
I remember when boys used to get a perm at the back, i.e Chris waddle,michael bolton.
Never got round to getting one, thank my lucky stars that my dad said i would look like a big jessie! :)

scorrie
28-Oct-07, 14:36
Crocs

They are relatively new but they are ghastly and already so "yesterday"

ps

Bay City Roller trousers. I recall a guy at Wick High wearing home made jobbies (appropriate word) constructed from jeans with the thickest strips of tartan blanket you ever saw running down the outside legs. Shangalangmungous matey!!

karia
28-Oct-07, 14:48
Nope, I have wracked my brains and trawled through my photo albums and I have always been sophistication personified! lol ;):lol:

karia

Julia
28-Oct-07, 14:48
Crocs

They are relatively new but they are ghastly and already so "yesterday"

Crocs! :eek: Crocs are ace! They are so comfy and hygenic, I love my crocs.

I didn't really follow fashion much as a teenager but I did own drainpipe(?) jeans, they were dark blue with white piping down the outside of each leg.

I'm going to have to post a photo of me on my first day at school, bright red pinafore with gold buttons and a blue puffed sleeve blouse, the collar was so pointy it would have your eye out!

floyed
28-Oct-07, 15:00
Leggings pink, green, mustard, light blue my mum made me wear them all at school i hated them and still do:mad:!!

I was a tubby school kid so skin tight leggings, not the best thing to be wearing:lol:

laguna2
28-Oct-07, 15:04
Nope, I have wracked my brains and trawled through my photo albums and I have always been sophistication personified!

karia

Lucky you! I am afraid that I cannot claim the same! :lol:

evelyn
28-Oct-07, 23:51
Where do I start.....afro perm, white leggings, zebra print leggings, jam jar size glasses, white stilletos, scratchy islandic jumpers, oversized pirate type shirts, ducks bottom hairdo, skinners, boiler suits, white socks over ginger tights......not all at the same time I hasten to add!!!
evelyn

airdlass
29-Oct-07, 00:00
Definitely the Bay City Rollers outfit - down to the tarten scarf tied round your wrist:eek:

mccaugm
29-Oct-07, 00:27
The 80's..leggings, shoulder pads on dresses, shoulder pads on jackets (shoulder pads everywhere). Puffball skirts, cha cha skirts, ra ra skirts, teabag t'shirts, white jeans, pencil skirts, madonna fingerless gloves. Stonewashed and snow-washed denim jackets. Shellsuits, doc martens with grolsch bottletops, skinny jeans. Bright coloured belts over large stripey shirts.

If you add in hairstyles cropped hair with skinny ponytails, demi-waves. Flatops!

_Ju_
29-Oct-07, 08:30
madonna fingerless gloves.

I'd forgotten the lace bobby socks...... how I loved them. White with black sandal type shoes...... LOL!

And how about when everyone cut their hair a la Diana in the early 80's(including a friend of mine that had gorgeous long dark cork screw curly hair- definatly not suited and difficult to grow out without having months of bad hair days!)????

sweetpea
29-Oct-07, 12:56
Plastic jackets came in lots of different colours. Had a blue one that melted when I was leaning against a radiator in the corridor at school:eek:

nikki
29-Oct-07, 13:50
Scousers (trousers with a matching skirt over them), definately. I had a grey pair, they were awful.

nanoo
29-Oct-07, 13:50
For me it was definately the 'AFRO' hair style i just had to have and to make matters worse, my hubby coming home that night and boy was he wild about it, he went on and on about how i had spoilt my nice hair. I knew in my heart of hearts, he was right, although i did'nt admit it to him. I just had to wait till my hair grew and get it cut out a little at a time. :confused

mccaugm
29-Oct-07, 14:21
Blokes in purple or grey stayprest trousers with two-tone jackets.

Thank god I didn't date in the early eighties as those were the days of the new romantics...GROSS! Frilly shirts, tight trousers, dodgy make up.

grandma
29-Oct-07, 15:19
I just chringe when I see photos with my frizzy perm. What scares me is that at the time we all thought we were cool so does that mean that in 20 years time we're going to be cringing at what we're wearing now?

lorr_mun14
29-Oct-07, 17:02
Scousers (trousers with a matching skirt over them), definately. I had a grey pair, they were awful.

OMG no, bring them back, they covered your bum!!!

Andrew C
29-Oct-07, 17:21
Bermuda shorts have to have been a bad 80s idea! I remember several awful coloured pairs.

Having said that, I was down at home in Irvine a couple of weeks ago and my wee sister (16) came down from her room with a pair of illuminous green ankle warmer type things on with a pair of denim shorts. Apparently, this is cool. *sigh*

dunderheed
30-Oct-07, 10:50
i never regret anything i wore but the bright red madchester baggies and the all black outfit with the white "raver ready" gloves jump to mind

poppett
30-Oct-07, 16:05
Metallic silver hotpants with a chinese style top to match! It doesn`t bear thinking about now.

Fantoosh
30-Oct-07, 20:20
ha ha ha i just remembered something my friend told me she used to wear when she was young. Leggings with pictures of tea cups all over them, hahaha. Laughed for weeks when she told me that. She was only a young girl when she wore them, but it is still hilarious. [lol]

Remember poppers? They were horrible :lol:

I used to wear a pair of stripey dungarees. They were knee length and covered in loads of different coloured stripes. I loved them though.

Kenn
30-Oct-07, 23:21
Hipsters, then and now!
They either slid down, gave you a spare tyre for a midrift, parted company with what ever top you wore with them and generally made you look as though you were made of spare parts.
I have no idea who thought they were fashionable 40yrs ago and seeing them on the streets again now just goes to prove my point.