PDA

View Full Version : Private Conversations

highlander
28-Oct-07, 01:11
Why is it today you get "that" phone calls, starts off we are not trying to sell you anything, this is a survey, and procede to ask do you own your own home, what do you earn? what buisness is it of thiers? I now tell them its none of thier buisness, but what i am getting at, years ago our parents would never dream of talking about thier private buisness in front of anyone, little alone children, yes this is a society we are now open, but where does it stop? another way of big brother even getting into our lives.

Torvaig
28-Oct-07, 01:23
I'm afraid the telephone, like letters, text messages, spam emails etc., is just another sales tool. Companies train their staff in various ways of getting you, the potential customer, to give them as much info as possible so that they can then bombard you with their product, be it insurance, new kitchen, conservatory or whatever.

The best thing to do is just hang up. If you want to take it further, you can register with the TPS (Telephone Preference Service) online (use Google) where you can stop some of these intrusive methods.

OR you can have some fun with them and pretend you are deaf, dottled or just plain stupid and ask them all sorts of awkward questions saying "pardon" to every one of their answers. They soon get fed up and it can brighten up your day for a wee while. ;)

Having said all that, the person at the other end of the phone probably works for some quite reputable company and is required, as part of their job description, to do telephone sales. They are only trying to feed their family like you or I and the method must work or there wouldn't be so many companies using it. A firm but polite "no" and hang up will suffice. :)

highlander
28-Oct-07, 01:32
Torvaig i know what you mean, after the first phone call i would sit back down, think about what was asked, and say to myself "they are only doing thier job" and feel sorry for them, but then when you get too many, and they cant even say your name right, grrrrrrrrr then i do get angry.
My hubby got one from this guy on about we are in your area for kitchens, he asked a question with his question, then this guy said "look im the one here to crack the jokes" LOL "goodbye you are the weakest link "LOL

JAWS
28-Oct-07, 01:41
It's a sign that people have lost all sense of dignity and have grown to believe that the thing to do is to "let it all hang out".
It seems that a great number of people today just cannot wait to make a public spectacle of themselves and an even larger number are willing to become little more than voyeurs drinking in every lurid detail.

Just look at the number of people who are desperate to appear on Talk Shows and so called "Reality Shows" to be either totally humiliated or to make very public spectacles of themselves for the titillation of others.

Compared with that I suppose people think little of telling a complete stranger what they own or how much they earn.
People have become so used to having others pry into their privacy as a matter of course that they don't realise when it's happening to them, they just go along with it as a matter of routine.

Aaldtimer
28-Oct-07, 02:44
I love it when the voice says, "Can I speak to the owner of the property please?"
To which I reply, "Certainly, if you 'phone 892507, you'll get Pentland Housing Association."
.....strangely, the line goes dead then....

sassylass
28-Oct-07, 03:37
highlander you have your finger on my pulse lol.

Just today, we were at my father's house working. I answered the phone and a woman asked for my father, starting in with those same survey questions. I answered "He is recently deceased, please take this number off your phoning list" to which she replied "Sorry, it's an automated system so I cannot do that, but may I call back at another time?" [disgust] CLICK

spurtle
28-Oct-07, 11:15
The quickest way is to say that you rent your property, they practically hang up on you.

Mr_Me19
28-Oct-07, 11:47
The best thing to do is, if you know that it is someone trying to sell you something then, try and sell them something before they get a word in edgeways!

Angela
28-Oct-07, 13:12
I ask what it's about (just in case it's a call I want) then say "I'm afraid she's not in, I'm the cleaner..." ;)

WeeBurd
28-Oct-07, 13:12
I admit, I too find the sales calls intrusive, and irritating - especially when the WeeBurdies were smaller, and the calls woke them up from their naps. [evil] Now, I've developed a little more patience, I just say before they get into full speil, that we're not interested in purchasing at the moment, but thanks for calling anyway, and they toddle of quite happily (probably just pleased that they didn't get their ear chewed off!).

As for asking what we earn etc, I simply wouldn't discuss that with anyone who doesn't need to know, but I'd be pretty narked off at them asking in the first place.:D

dandod
28-Oct-07, 13:16
we have been living in our house for about 5 years and about 3 months ago we got our phoeline switched on.we get phone calls from sales people asking for the previous occupier which goes to show how old their records are.

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 13:30
Why is it today you get "that" phone calls, starts off we are not trying to sell you anything, this is a survey, and procede to ask do you own your own home, what do you earn? what buisness is it of thiers? I now tell them its none of thier buisness, but what i am getting at, years ago our parents would never dream of talking about thier private buisness in front of anyone, little alone children, yes this is a society we are now open, but where does it stop? another way of big brother even getting into our lives.

So highlander can i ask do you own your own home?

May I take a few minutes of your time to ask a couple of quick questions?

What colour of eyes did you great great grandads best friends cousins wifes brother have?

Does you water go down the plughole clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Sorry to have troubled you have a nice day now :) :)

Report Position
28-Oct-07, 21:23
A number of solutions here:

1. As mentioned the telephone preference service works, takes a month or so but it works.

2. Change your number an go ex directory, register with TPS and NEVER give your number out to anyone except friends & family, certainly never give it to any company even if you do use their stores/services etc. They will sell your number on!

3. (My favourite) ask who is calling and for who and why, then reply with "Yes, please hold they/he/she is in the south wing. I wont be a moment while I get them" Then leave the phone on the side and go about your business, they soon hang up!

p.s. First post too-----Hello!

airdlass
28-Oct-07, 21:35
The quickest way is to say that you rent your property, they practically hang up on you.

Works everytime - the change in the person's tone of voice is immediate.

mareng
29-Oct-07, 07:25
Ask the caller what they are wearing?

Then go on to tell them that you are naked..........................

Never had one stay on the line long enough to enter into a conversation yet. :)

benji
06-Nov-07, 13:53
Apparently there is a telephone in Maes Howe in Orkney in the event that someone is taken ill. One day a guide was mid-explanation when a call came from a company asking whether he would be interested in fitting double glazing in Maes Howe.

Another friend was asked whether he would be interested in getting a conservatory built. He said that he would be very interested in getting a conservatory fitted to a second floor flat!! CLICK.

angela5
06-Nov-07, 14:15
Works everytime - the change in the person's tone of voice is immediate.

Do they hang around? I thought after you said 'you rent your property' it was an immediate hang-up.:lol:,

Anne x
06-Nov-07, 15:34
I ask what it's about (just in case it's a call I want) then say "I'm afraid she's not in, I'm the cleaner..." ;)

I have done that on quite a few occasions it works !!!!