PDA

View Full Version : Water

Yoda the flump
27-Oct-07, 22:19
Anyone else get a chlorine like taste in their water today?

quirbal
27-Oct-07, 22:22
Erm... No.

NLP
27-Oct-07, 22:29
We gave up on tap water a while ago, it was either brown or tasted horrible, now it's of to lidl's for my bottled water.

Yoda the flump
27-Oct-07, 22:34
I tend to find that during the winter I can taste the chlorine in the water (must be worse near Loch Calder).

Funky_Foal
27-Oct-07, 22:34
Anyone else get a chlorine like taste in their water today?

Exactly what i was thinking! Yes my water also tasted funny and looked quite cloudy. wonder why? :confused

highlander
27-Oct-07, 22:47
it was in the paper they were going to be flushing out the pipes

footie chick
27-Oct-07, 22:54
My water tastes the same as normal.

Buttercup
27-Oct-07, 23:02
My water used to constantly taste and smell like bleach. Always filter it now.
Did read that they were going to be flushing out the pipes but can't remember when exactly.

grumpyhippo
27-Oct-07, 23:17
If you can taste the water the you haven't added enough whisky:lol::lol:

horseman
28-Oct-07, 00:20
If you can taste the water the you haven't added enough whisky:lol::lol:

hee,hee,hee

dandod
28-Oct-07, 00:23
our water has always tasted and smelt funny a sort of chlorine smell but i have never bothered reporting it.

lady penelope
28-Oct-07, 09:00
There is fluoride added to the water in Caithness because of the shortage of dentists.Possibly that is the taste you are getting. I never drink tap water, I always filter the water at home and away from home at work I only have tea or coffee so the water is boiled.

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 13:23
I see alot of people filter there water now.Never tried it,does it make any difference? I normally stick ma heid under the tap when I am thirsty maybe i Shouldnt now! ;)

grumpyhippo
28-Oct-07, 13:44
There is fluoride added to the water in Caithness because of the shortage of dentists.

I didn't think that there was flouride added to any water in Scotland.

From the Scottish water web site:

Fluoride
Scottish Water does not add fluoride to any water supply in
Scotland. Fluoride can be found naturally in some raw water
supplies at low levels.
• PCV = 1.5 mg F/l

http://www.scottishwater.co.uk/portal/page/portal/SWE_PGP_HOUSEHOLD/SWE_PGE_HOUSEHOLD/SWE_HH_WTR/Fact%202%20%20Water%20quality%20.pdf (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.scottishwater.co.uk/portal/page/portal/SWE_PGP_HOUSEHOLD/SWE_PGE_HOUSEHOLD/SWE_HH_WTR/Fact%202%20%20Water%20quality%20.pdf)

Lavenderblue2
28-Oct-07, 15:33
Yes our water is revolting today :( - I usually filter all of our water but this morning I made the mistake taking a wee droppy from the tap into a glass to swallow a couple of paracetamol - YUK it nearly made me boke.

At one time the water in Caithness was second to none, why on earth did they tamper with it. Even when I was young and the water was brown the taste was good.

LB

bobsgirl
28-Oct-07, 19:48
We dont have a taste of chlorine in our water, but I have noticed that when we have been away on holiday the water elsewhere is never as good as up here, even for a cup of tea.

Either that or it is just good to get back home and have a relaxing cuppa!!

Yoda the flump
28-Oct-07, 22:39
There is fluoride added to the water in Caithness because of the shortage of dentists.Possibly that is the taste you are getting. I never drink tap water, I always filter the water at home and away from home at work I only have tea or coffee so the water is boiled.

No its not fluoride, its due to the chloramination process that is used to add chlorine to the water. Since Loch Calder is the only supply for Caithness and up west to Durness they use this method to keep the chlorine in longer.

Tastes awful though, and worse in the winter for some reason. Maybe the chlorine lasts longer in colder water.

Julia
28-Oct-07, 23:22
There is definitely no fluoride in the water up here, my dentist advised me last week. Children over 6 should use standard adult toothpaste as kids toothpaste does not usually have enough fluoride (1000 - 1100ppm)