PDA

View Full Version : UHI to get its U at long last?

DrSzin
24-Aug-05, 11:43
From the BBC News website: Highland university set for 2007 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4178736.stm)

What took 'em so long?

Why on earth should Caithness folk have to travel over 200 miles to get to their nearest uni in Aberdeen? I'm lucky, there are 4 universities close to my house -- they are approximately 150 metres, 2 miles, 3 miles, and 6 miles away, respectively. Doesn't seem fair to me...

Seriously, congrats to all at UHI Millennium Institute -- staff & students alike. Let's hope everything goes through smoothly this time.

Yeah, I know, I started a thread on this topic many moons ago, but it seems to have been banished to the great bitbucket in the sky.

Lindarabett
24-Aug-05, 13:55
I put a post on yesterday, regarding my forthcoming studies via the UHI. Mnay people might not be aware that degree courses can be studied at local colleges through the UHI programme. I'm doing my course at Perth College, but it is also available through Inverness and Moray colleges, as well as being available on-line, and as distant learning, and available at selected learning centres. Other degree courses are available through several other Northern colleges, such as BA Cultural Studies via North Highland College. The UHI prospectus for 2006 is available on the web at: www.uhi.ac.uk

It's well worth a look at for those who may currently want to study for a degree, but don't have a major university nearby. I, personally, along with doubtless others, didn't find attending a main university in a larger city much fun. It's okay for those who are local or have no kids, but I found it very stressful organising childcare and commuting everyday, as well as trying to fit in 'normal' daily routines, such as housework, paid employment to help finance my studies, and the studying itself; it is really difficult to maintain a good routine. I found young and single students were less stressed out, and often really enjoyed the experience of being away from home etc. I am now looking at only five hours per week in the local college, with much of the course being on-line, and most of the 'taught' subjects being done at home. Higher education isn't always as out of reach as people may think. And due to on-going success of the UHI, I would imagine more courses will be available at more locations in the Highlands and Islands as time progresses.

Even if it appears the course you really want to do isn't available nearby, it is worth enquiring about it. There may still be a way of accommodating your wishes. The UHI also introduces areas of North Scotland to many who would otherwise remain ignorant about its being. Having hailed from Wick, many folk in Tayside have never heard of the place, and most of the time I tell them it's not far from John O' Groats - everyone must have at least have heard of it! I'm looking forward to my studies, which will hopefully include areas that I know about (from a child's point of view) and can now learn more about these places as an adult.