PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's 10 most treasured places

Oddquine
27-Oct-07, 14:58
Have to say I found the list rather puzzling.....until I noticed that there were only 9000 votes cast.

1 Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange
2 Glasgow School of Art
3 King's College, Aberdeen
4 St Meddan's Church, Troon
5 The Falkirk Wheel
6 Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
7 Skara Brae, Orkney
8 The Standing Stones of Stenness, Orkney
9 Cumbernauld Town Centre, North Lanarkshire
10 Rosslyn Chapel, Midlothian

The rest of the options are here http://www.treasuredplaces.org.uk/gallery/index.php?page=1

and I am puzzled at some of them as well.

What would you have voted for........or added to the list?

I'd have gone for from the options - Elgin Cathedral, Rosslyn Chapel, Skara Brae, Traquair House, Dun Troddan Broch, Iona Abbey, The Scottish National War Memorial, Falkland Palace and added The Royal Mile and Stirling Castle

quirbal
27-Oct-07, 15:03
Since I'm a football fan I would have liked to have seen Hampden in there.

WЄЄKЄŔ
27-Oct-07, 15:07
What about Tesco ? :confused

Anne x
27-Oct-07, 15:22
Edinburgh Castle ,Scotts Monument , Dunrobin Castle the list is endless

Very good thread oddquine some of the places are strange ie Aluminium Factory Kinlochleven

Rheghead
27-Oct-07, 16:14
No 8 must surely be a mickey take?:confused

northener
27-Oct-07, 16:30
It's about their favourite photies of structures from their photo collection of Scotlands' crumbliest buildings. Not about the places themselves.

That's why there appears to be some rather baffling choices.

Oddquine
27-Oct-07, 18:50
It's about their favourite photies of structures from their photo collection of Scotlands' crumbliest buildings. Not about the places themselves.

That's why there appears to be some rather baffling choices.

But they are 100 out of a vast archive........and if it is images that are being voted for, then I still don't understand how anybody but an architect could like some of them.

Going by the comments, people didn't vote for them as images they liked but as places that the images brought to mind....which is how I took it.

Anne x
27-Oct-07, 20:08
Mmmmmm Odd !!! how can any architect choose some of them

golach
27-Oct-07, 20:20
Obviously it was 9000 architects that did the voting, as from what I have seen of award winning buildings I have always suspected the architects to have been on illegal substances.

Anne x
28-Oct-07, 00:56
Obviously it was 9000 architects that did the voting, as from what I have seen of award winning buildings I have always suspected the architects to have been on illegal substances.

yes Gherkin in London example I know its not Scotland
but we only have to look at our own Scottish Parliament Building I rest my case

hotrod4
28-Oct-07, 11:08
I would say that the most beautiful building in scotland has to be a red bricked square building down in Govan.
Some of you may know it as Ibrox park to me its heaven! :)