PDA

View Full Version : Scot-Rail - Scot-Fail

mccaugm
26-Oct-07, 23:39
I recently travelled on a train from Georgemas to Alness. When I got on I discovered that the carriage was colder than when I was standing at the station, that I was on an "Express" train which meant it would not stop at my destination and that there was no drinks trolley. As you can imagine this did not go down very well.

I spoke to the conductor who said that to stop in Alness, he would have to check with Glasgow, he duly did and I was able to stop.
An older lady informed me the second carriage had heating so I had to move myself, my frozen toddler and my luggage to the carriage in question.
With regard to the lack of refreshments, I was informed that, (and I quote) "Caithness was not regarded as important enough" as all the trolleys were on the trains bound for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. As I was looking forward to a hot cup of tea I was fuming.
God love him, the conductor did everything he could to assist me, to the point of offering me a bottle of water as there was nothing else. I cannot commend him highly enough. I apologised for being rude to him as I was frustrated, he said it was his job to put up with this. Its not, I feel its Scotrail who should take the brunt of this and get their flaming act together.

Bobinovich
26-Oct-07, 23:49
Time for a strongly-worded letter to Scotrail I'd say. I must admint that, since passing my driving test, I've not been on a train and this story doesn't exactly make me want to...

matelot79
27-Oct-07, 03:03
Or is it the company that provide the on train services. When I used travel on the trains, I used to help the woman on with her trolley (used to get a free cup of coffee as I knew her) the driver and guard could not in case they did themselves an injury. Health and safety gone mad again. Is it not firstscotland now or sorry firstgroup and not scotrail.

krakow
27-Oct-07, 09:07
If you travelled on the second train south in the morning its quite clear that it doesn't stop at Alness or a number of other stations. Its a bit of a shame as it saves less than 15 minutes on a 4 hour journey.... hardly Express!

mccaugm
27-Oct-07, 10:56
If you travelled on the second train south in the morning its quite clear that it doesn't stop at Alness or a number of other stations. Its a bit of a shame as it saves less than 15 minutes on a 4 hour journey.... hardly Express!

Thats what I thought...but why Alness...its a main town and where I got on at Georgemas is in the middle of nowhere. Where is the logic in that?

Also on a similar line (excuse the pun) I would have preferred to get on in Halkirk, we have 2 crossings and no actual station??? I believe we did until the sixties when there was an overhaul of the stations etc. So again with logic they close a station with a large populus and leave stations like Georgemas and Scotscalder open???? I love taking the train as its more interesting but for now not the interest I want...

Mr_Me19
27-Oct-07, 15:27
I wasn't aware that the second train was an 'express' train. I have always taken the 7 o clock one from Thurso and it stops at all stops except a few such as Scotscalder etc. which are request only. But as for Alness.... Thats a bit ridiculous.

The 7 o clock one is always freezing when you first get on it but after half an hour or so your nice and warm. And its always warmer than the station is in the morning!! :lol:

mareng
27-Oct-07, 18:11
I posted about a similar journey 2 1/2 years ago.

I wrote a letter of complaint demanding my money back as I had to wear all my bike gear in the carriage to keep warm (including gloves) - If I had my helmet with me - I would have had that on too! - I got a refund of half my fare.

The second carriage has had no heating since the trains were introduced 18 years ago, it is just that not enough people demand their money back, that Scotrail don't bother their backside.

Shabby service from Scotrail.