A) Going to an organised fireworks display

B) Having a display at home

C) Both of the above

D) Hiding under the bed with the dog..:Razz

karia

JammyDodger69
26-Oct-07, 19:07
Going to a party, lookin forward to it.

Love fireworks, it's all the loud noises that do it for me..

lexie
26-Oct-07, 19:12
will be hoping that its very quiet and my beastie does not get too frightened.....and.... that it only lasts 2 nights at most!

karia
26-Oct-07, 19:16
will be hoping that its very quiet and my beastie does not get too frightened.....and.... that it only lasts 2 nights at most!

It has been in full swing down here for a week now and will go on for several more to come.

Karia

Riffman
26-Oct-07, 19:31
b) I intend to make a lot of smoke and noise with my fireworks. All done in a safe manner on private land.

golach
26-Oct-07, 19:37
I for one will not be celebrating on the 5th November, why should the Scots celebrate Guy Fawkes? He was an English Traitor that was caught trying to blow up the English Parliament in 1605. As far as I can see this has nothing to do with Scotland.
So save your money dont buy the fireworks, and think of your pets and other peoples pets.

karia
26-Oct-07, 20:03
I for one will not be celebrating on the 5th November, why should the Scots celebrate Guy Fawkes? He was an English Traitor that was caught trying to blow up the English Parliament in 1605. As far as I can see this has nothing to do with Scotland.
So save your money dont buy the fireworks, and think of your pets and other peoples pets.

It has loads to do with Scotland!

The stated intention of the gunpowder plotters was to blow the Scots back to Scotland, as represented by the Scottish born king James.

Karia

northener
26-Oct-07, 20:08

Tut, tut, Golach!

King James, English?

Blimey, that's scunnered all the Jacobites!:)

Used to like Bonfire night, now it's more like a week in Baghdad.

golach
26-Oct-07, 20:14
Tut, tut, Golach!
King James, English?
Blimey, that's scunnered all the Jacobites!:)
Used to like Bonfire night, now it's more like a week in Baghdad.
It was the English Parliament he was trying to blow up, not the Scottish one, we had our own until 1707

JAWS
26-Oct-07, 20:29
Aye, but it was a Scottish King Guy Fawkes was trying to get rid of! The only reason Parliament was involved is because the plotters could guarantee King James would be there on November Fifth to open it.

It's a pity the plot didn't succeed really, the Stuarts were the biggest disaster England ever suffered and they were an even bigger disaster for Scotland.

northener
26-Oct-07, 20:30
You certainly did, Golach.

At the risk of sounding Pedantic, King James was due to be in Parliament that day. In fact, there was some doubt over whether the plot was to be taken seriously and James retorted that if they didn't get some better intelligence then he would 'go to Parliament on that day' and leave the outcome 'to fortune'.

The King was one of the main targets because he had promised the Catholics a secure future in England and Scotland and then reneged on his word, repeatedly.

golach
26-Oct-07, 20:37
Tut, tut, Golach!
Blimey, that's scunnered all the Jacobites!:).

Northerner, the Jacobites were followers of James VII Of Scotland and did not come on the scene until 1689, so they couldna have been scunnered[lol]

northener
26-Oct-07, 20:43
Northerner, the Jacobites were followers of James VII Of Scotland and did not come on the scene until 1689, so they couldna have been scunnered[lol]

James Stuart Ist Joint sovereign of Scotland and England. If he (and his family, as they would have attended the opening as well) been asassinated, then ther would have been no Charles the First (and no British Civil War!!!), no Charles the 2nd or James. etc. etc.

helenwyler
26-Oct-07, 21:05
Don't know yet karia!

In St Albans there is a fine public display.

Imagine a part-Norman Abbey, supposedly built on the site of the death of the first English Christian martyr (St. Alban), brilliantly floodlit, and the backdrop to the fireworks.

A lake separates the Abbey from the spectators, and mirrors the fireworks. A rising slope on the spectator side of the lake enables everybody to have a good view.

Perfect...until a few years ago, the local radio station was enlisted to provide a multi-media experience for us. While we're waiting for the display to begin, we have the pleasure of the local radio station's idea of 'fun'...a mixture of waffle and latest hits[evil]....and then, (ahh!) blessed silence for a while, so people can talk, ooh and aah, comfort distressed children etc.

And then, when the grand firework finale commences, we are assailed at megavoltage with...............

..........you guessed it! Handel's 'Music for the Royal Fireworks'!! Every year.

Since the kids have nearly grown up, and prefer to do their own thing on Bonfire Night, we have for the past two years just watched the finale from our road, which is not too far away from Abbey, and had a good goss and drinks (...well it's cold out that time of year!) with our neighbours.:lol:

But that view over the lake is stunning!

karia
26-Oct-07, 21:11
Hi guys!

Can we get this thread back on topic...not that the distraction wasn't interesting!;)

What are you doing on Nov 5th?

We are lucky enough to overlook callendar Park in Falkirk..the council put on a stunning display every year..and it is my parents Anniversary on that day..so..Nice all round!:D

Kariax

karia
26-Oct-07, 21:14
Nice to hear helen..my little sparkler!;)

Karia

northener
26-Oct-07, 21:25
Keeping my head down!

golach
26-Oct-07, 21:43
5th Nov, celebrations!!!!!!!........Fireworks going off all around as I speak, I would ban the sale of these things all together!!!

gardenergirl
26-Oct-07, 22:13
I'm with golach on this one. The things are going off outside right now. I've just been out trying to call my cat in, but she's probably cowering under someone's shed. They are dangerous, annoying and far too easy for irresponsible kids to get hold of. Fireworks should be left for public events, and restricted to certain dates (eg. 5 nov, 31 dec), so that people can be prepared and get their pets indoors. [disgust]

Kenn
26-Oct-07, 22:39
Could only be the english that celebrate the fact the gunpowder failed to blow up The Houses of Parliament, now if they had succeeded THAT would be worth celebrating!

bobsgirl
26-Oct-07, 23:00
I have bought some fireworks for my mum to do her display.
Our kids are spending the evening round at her house, while I take my wonderful hubby out for his Birthday Meal. (His birthday is 6th but why not kill two birds with one stone).

golach
26-Oct-07, 23:47
I'm with golach on this one. The things are going off outside right now. I've just been out trying to call my cat in, but she's probably cowering under someone's shed. They are dangerous, annoying and far too easy for irresponsible kids to get hold of. Fireworks should be left for public events, and restricted to certain dates (eg. 5 nov, 31 dec), so that people can be prepared and get their pets indoors. [disgust]
I am with you 100% ban the stupid things, they are explosive devices and are a danger to man and beast.

Anne x
27-Oct-07, 01:12
I am with you 100% ban the stupid things, they are explosive devices and are a danger to man and beast.

Bravo Bravo !!! A Ghastly time all round and the accidents that happen that one night a year with children getting burnt scared animals etc and our firemen could be doing better things or rather attending to other more important incidents rather than people setting fire to a load of old junk in a yard

Margaret M.
27-Oct-07, 02:29

I totally agree. If not banned, their use should be restricted to the actual dates that are being "celebrated" as Gardengirl said.

golach
27-Oct-07, 10:47
Bravo Bravo !!! A Ghastly time all round and the accidents that happen that one night a year with children getting burnt scared animals etc and our firemen could be doing better things or rather attending to other more important incidents rather than people setting fire to a load of old junk in a yard
Anne X I dont mind organised displays and we in Edinburgh get some spectacular displays. What I do mind is the mindless thugs who put life and property in danger, not forgetting the extra work and danger that our Fire Services and Ambulance Services have to put up with at this time of year.
BAN the LOT I say!!!

Anne x
27-Oct-07, 11:03
Yes Gloach thats the point I was trying to make !!! Organised Displays can be okay
The other thing that bothers me are the idiots who throw bangers at Cars and other people etc etc

golach
28-Oct-07, 20:34
Remember Remember!!!!!! bliddy Fireworks exploding everywhere just now, I say BAN them ALL!!!!!!!!, its a stupid way of celebrating

TBH
28-Oct-07, 20:48
So save your money dont buy the fireworks, and think of your pets and other peoples pets.Bah humbug![lol]

golach
29-Oct-07, 10:30
Bah humbug![lol]
If you have had a child or relative or even a pet, hurt or traumatized by fireworks, then I doubt if you would be so uncaring [disgust]

riggerboy
29-Oct-07, 17:06
well i hope i dont see any fireworks, not that i dont like nor dislike them but i`ll be on the rig, fingers crossed no fireworks ;-)