PDA

View Full Version : Analogue to Digital Query

Wish
26-Oct-07, 11:20
Can anyone help me with this question? Sorry if its a daft question as i'm not very clever with technical things :confused

When analogue is phased out and we all go digital, does anyone know if the large TV masts will still be needed? and if so is the digital signal to them the same as the signal to a mobile phone mast? Anyone have any idea, or know how I can find the information out>?

Thanks

brokencross
26-Oct-07, 12:30
Only an educated guess, but as the Freeview digital signal is sent through existing rooftop TV aerials I think the masts will still be needed.
No idea about similarity of Phone signal, digital TV signals.

Riffman
26-Oct-07, 15:12
Digital TV is broadcast on UHF frequencies, mobiles are on microwave frequencies.

And yes the masts will be the same TV ones.

bekisman
26-Oct-07, 16:46
Out west we've been told we're in the 2% who won't get digital (we don't get freeview at the moment even) so what happens at the changeover? nothing, unless you get satellite?

huh
26-Oct-07, 17:32
When analogue gets shut down digital will be able to use the bandwidth it's currently taking up which means it will be easier to receive a digital signal. If you can't get it now you will have a better chance of getting it when they turn off analogue.

Riffman
26-Oct-07, 19:35
But sods law applies, if you can't get it now, you won't get then....

huh
26-Oct-07, 19:41
That's not true at all. :P