PDA

View Full Version : Local Post - just a thought

brokencross
26-Oct-07, 08:15
Here in Smoggyland I only ever get post from Caithness at Christmas and notice the post mark is Inverness, so as Christmas approaches I was just wondering....... if someone posts a letter in Wick to another Wick (or any Caithness) address, does that mail go all the way down to Inverness to get sorted and then travel back up to Caithness for delivery and have an Inverness post mark??

sam
26-Oct-07, 08:37
I think if its posted to a local address then it gets sorted in Caithness, but if its not local then it goes to Inverness to get sorted, I'm not 100% sure.

Oddquine
26-Oct-07, 08:51
The post Office in Wick has two post boxes...........one for Caithness mail and one for everywhere else............but Lybster doesn't. I have always assumed that stuff from the mixed boxes goes to Inverness to be mechanically sorted and the Caithness boxes are sorted in Wick..............else why have two at all.

Wick and Thurso only have Delivery Offices though, don't they?

spurtle
26-Oct-07, 10:02
I was sitting out side the post office one day and a post van parked, postie got out, and proceded to empty the TWO post boxes into one bag - What is the point?

bluelady
26-Oct-07, 10:04
Aye, iv'e seen em do that :confused

northener
26-Oct-07, 10:27
I was sitting out side the post office one day and a post van parked, postie got out, and proceded to empty the TWO post boxes into one bag - What is the point?

What was all that upset when someone said the Royal Mail needs re-organising?:roll:

lazytown
26-Oct-07, 10:31
Is there not something about if you send a letter locally First Class then it travels down to Inverness for sorting, but if you put a Second Class stamp on it it gets sorted locally...

bobandag16
26-Oct-07, 12:02
good start for xmas .stir up the post. post code kw . kirkwall.send it all there first.nearer than inverness.

Riffman
26-Oct-07, 15:15
as far as I know most goes via inverness, unless you put it in the caithness box.

ashaw1
26-Oct-07, 20:35
I know from experience that the mail from the post box up at Tesco goes straight to Inverness. The only reason i know this is because i stupidly posted a letter without putting a stamp on it and was told this by the green Road Office. Yes i know it was a silly thing to do!

Douglas Cowie
26-Oct-07, 20:50
Is there not something about if you send a letter locally First Class then it travels down to Inverness for sorting, but if you put a Second Class stamp on it it gets sorted locally...

No it's the other way round second class post gets sent to Inverness to slow it down otherwise 1st and 2nd arrive at the same time. I complained once about how long second class was taking and was advised of this by the sorting office in Green Road.
Can't be getting 1st class service for 2nd class price can you? It fairly made me chuckle! certainly not worried about that carbon footprint nonsense!

Ash
26-Oct-07, 21:57
:confusedthe post box outside the coop in thurso used to have to slots with a local slot and then another with other places, but now its just it doesnt say anything