25-Oct-07, 23:33
what street would you call the gleeb of wick

Moira
25-Oct-07, 23:39
Why would you want to know?

Torvaig
26-Oct-07, 00:26
what street would you call the gleeb of wick

I presume you mean "glebe"? A glebe is ground owned by the church so there are lots of them around. I would think that the ground between the Wick Old Parish Church and the old Manse (now Nethercote House) would have been the original glebe for that church although, obviously, some of the ground, if not all, has been sold so there is no knowing...... but I'm sure some native of that fair town will provide a better answer.

The only places I know of as the Glebe are in Thurso (courtesy of fellow orgers) and the Sunday Post (The Broons)!

brokencross
26-Oct-07, 08:05
I would have thought they meant the Broons type Glebe.

elamanya
26-Oct-07, 09:08
or even a thurso type glebe lol.. well there are a few contenders in wick

golach
26-Oct-07, 09:46
I
The only places I know of as the Glebe are in Thurso (courtesy of fellow orgers) and the Sunday Post (The Broons)!
There are many places called the Glebe, we have in Edinburgh, The Glebe, Glebe Gardens, Place, Road, Street & Terrace, and I lived in the Glebe in a little village in Perthshire called Inchture.

Torvaig
26-Oct-07, 13:07
There are many places called the Glebe, we have in Edinburgh, The Glebe, Glebe Gardens, Place, Road, Street & Terrace, and I lived in the Glebe in a little village in Perthshire called Inchture.

You are right Golach; there are glebes all over Scotland, it's just that those are the only two I know of personally!:)

Although there are glebes in Wick I've never heard them called as such; they are known by the new names given them when the Church land was sold.

Dandod, am I to assume that by your question you mean that the word glebe is used in a derogatory manner and is there such a place in Wick? If there is, I've never heard of it. I know there is a glebe in Thurso but I don't think it is used disparagingly, just fondly.

My abject apologies if my suppostions are entirely wrong.

rob murray
26-Oct-07, 16:27

Is there indeed, suggest a few then !!

wifie
26-Oct-07, 16:52
Was it not Glebe Street the Broons lived in?

Torvaig
26-Oct-07, 18:17

This is the type of thing I am trying to work out; is there something about being a "glebe" that is somewhat suspect? As there have been a few hints here, how about revealing what exactly you mean.

This is a genuine question....:confused

elamanya
26-Oct-07, 18:40
well years ago the glebe in thurso was full of all the local worthies, doors knocked into next doors house thru the walls things like that, maybe its changed now aint been there for years

golach
26-Oct-07, 19:28
well years ago the glebe in thurso was full of all the local worthies, doors knocked into next doors house thru the walls things like that, maybe its changed now aint been there for years
My Grandmother lived in Smith Terrace and my Mother grew up in Smith Terrace and I was there everyday as a young boy, I never saw or heard of any thing such as that, I contacted my Mother tonight and she too stated she had never heard of the like.

canuck
26-Oct-07, 19:30
Toronto has a very fashionable area known as the 'Glebe'. And for the same reason that all other glebe areas are referred to as such.

The glebe was the land around the minister's home which was used to grow food for the household and crops for the animals. In many cases it was equivalent to a small farm. As grocery stores became popular, the land was no longer needed for farming. When it was given over for residential development, the term 'glebe' was often kept because the area was previously known by that term.

south view 7
26-Oct-07, 20:41
I presume you mean "glebe"? A glebe is ground owned by the church so there are lots of them around. I would think that the ground between the Wick Old Parish Church and the old Manse (now Nethercote House) would have been the original glebe for that church although, obviously, some of the ground, if not all, has been sold so there is no knowing...... but I'm sure some native of that fair town will provide a better answer.

The only glebe i have heard of in Wick is indeed the ground between the parish church and the manse in George st.although it is not referred to this in the same way as in thurso so is little known under this name.(a Weeker).....

Tighsonas4
26-Oct-07, 20:55
yes the glebe ie the ground past the parish church has been commonly
known as such all my time there was a toll house at end of henreita st
these tolls was common in many places.[lol][lol]